Subject: [idn] Summary of TS-SC discussion

From: "James Seng/Personal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 13:21:30 +0800

Ignore the last mail. I realized how unreable it is. (Note to self: bad
idea to hit the "send' button before reading it once myself especially
going thru various cut & paste ;-)

---CUT HERE ---
>     Sorry,  it is not true , " Taiwan " means 2 chinese characters, in
> these two character , the first one has 2 scripts , all are TC , but
one
> of them are only used in PRC-SC. The all-traditional need at least 2
> record in "Taiwan University" , this is a example of  1(SC) --> 2
(TC).
> 1-n mapping are forced to selected one in registraion is based on
> the assumption the 1-1 mapping had treated in nameprep. You can
> not cut them to simplify it and forget they may be 2^^n combinations
> without SC/TC 1-1 mapping to reduce them.

Prof Tseng,

In Latin, if we have A/a B/b C/c, it is reasonable for someone to type
in "ABC", "abc" or "Abc" and so on...this gives us 2^n possibility.

Now if A/a is TC-SC and the same goes for B/b and C/c, is it usual for
one to
do variant like "Abc" or "ABc"? To be exact, from all experience, it is
more likely that only "ABC" or "abc" exist which gives us n*2.

But TC-SC also have is Traditional-Traditional, Traditional-Simplified,
Simplified-Traditional and Simplified-Simplified variant, this gives us
a max of n*4 combination, one for each. ("Taiwan" in your example falls
into the T-T and T-S variant).

This is why TC/SC is not really n^2 combination. Opertionally, it is
closely to n*2 to n*4 from our experience.

As Mark said, we should compare this 'confusion' to Latin A (U+0041) and
Greek A (U+0391). This is not normalized in Nameprep either and if AOL
wish to have both Latin and Greek, they have to put it in the zonefile
twice.

-James Seng

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 02:03:33 EDT

In a message dated 2001-09-04 18:28:16 Pacific Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

>  I've seen implementations of body part language tagging and of
>  mail subject line language tagging, but AFAIK they are rarely if ever
>  used. I've never seen an implementation that supports the Unicode 3.1
>  language tagging stuff.

I have seen some text editors (and written one myself) that allow the user to 
enter Plane 14 language tags.  They can then be displayed or hidden within 
the text.  But I have not seen an application that does something really 
*smart* with them, such as spell-checking or Han glyph selection based on 
tagged language.  And, of course, I'm unlikely to, since these seemingly 
useful things are so heavily deprecated by Unicode.

None of this has anything to do with IDN, of course.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California