Subject: [idn] International v. Universal

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 09:13:25 -0800

In conversations regarding my LDAP IDN I-D (a new revision
is pending announcement), a comment was made that's LDAP's
existing attribute type DC should be renamed ADC (ACE or
ASCII domain component) and the new type IDC (International
domain component) should be called DC as domain components
should be domain components.  While I would oppose renaming
any existing type (as this breaks things), I have been think
that IDC may not the most appropriate name for the new
attribute type.

While we are 'internationalizing' the domain name system, what
we hope to produce is a 'universal' domain system.  So, I'm
considering renaming IDC to UDC (Universal Domain Component).

I wonder if might be appropriate to consider such renaming more
broadly.

Kurt

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:40:07 -0500

> considering renaming IDC to UDC (Universal Domain Component).

I think that walks straight into a religious war about languages
and scripts not yet represented in Unicode, to say nothing about
Martian, Jovian, Klingon, and other interplanetary,
intragalactic, etc., languages.  Why make yourself/ ourselves a
target?

   john

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:09:39 -0800

At 11:40 AM 2001-11-25, John C Klensin wrote:
>intragalactic, etc., languages.  Why make yourself/ ourselves a target?

Well, obviously, I was already a target.  I guess I should have
just ducked.   Please consider my suggestion withdrawn.

Kurt