Subject: Re: [idn] Internet Driver Open Letter on Internationalized

From: "Steven Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:31:40 -0800

Domain Names
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C172C2.89D6EB70
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

To all Members of the IETF:=20
On behalf of Internet Driver (ID), I would like to thank all of those =
who took the time to respond to our open letter.  Although the tone of =
some responses were less than kind, I recognize the validity of two =
recurring themes, and the frustration inspired by both:=20

(1) we did not submit an Internet Draft and, therefore, failed to =
formally participate in the IETF process and (2) translation algorithms
=
are difficult and we offered few details on how our system handles the =
unique issues involved in translating URLs (abbreviations, nonsense =
words, combined words, phrases, characters, etc.).

In retrospect, I'm sorry we did not formally participate in the IETF =
process although we have made several informal attempts to reach out to
=
various individuals and explain our system. When Paul Hoffman told us =
"proprietary solutions have no place in the global Internet," we =
interpreted it to mean that we would not be considered as the IDN =
standard.  Now that John Klensin and others have invited us into the =
process in good faith, we look forward to submitting an Internet Draft =
that explains our translation engine and backs up our claims that our =
system addresses all major issues in enabling the full use of the DNS =
for all character scripts.

The basic premise of our open letter is that Unicode-based non-ASCII =
script conversion into otherwise meaningless DNS-compliant strings =
creates a global Web fractured by character script, because users of one
=
character script will not be able to directly access website or email =
addresses registered in other character scripts.  In fact, users would =
have to re-register their domain names and email addresses in every =
language to be fully accessible to all other Internet users.  Paul =
Hoffman's first response to our open letter basically said he hoped we =
were just ignorant rather than intentionally lying to people for =
personal gain because "[t]he current IETF proposals have none of the =
problems you accuse them of."=20

If Paul Hoffman is right and users of different character scripts will =
be able to access each other's URLs (including email and sub-domains), =
our open letter is largely moot.  If he is not right, I think it is =
clear that our open letter has served the important interest of bringing
=
a critical policy issue to the attention of others including an =
influential member of the Internet community.  Open letters and PR =
activity may not help technical analysis but they often promote the =
exchange of ideas, which can't be a bad thing.=20

I believe once the IETF and the Internet community have an opportunity =
to review the specifics of our system it will become clear that our =
intentions are genuine and our technology is innovative and =
comprehensive in its approach.  Once implemented for all character =
scripts, the ID technology will allow all users to access all domains, =
email addresses and sub-domains directly using their native script, =
regardless of the script in which the address is registered.

I will post ID's Internet Draft as soon as possible and plan to make it
=
available well in advance of the IETF meeting in December. Although we =
have already missed the official deadline, I hope our system will be =
considered in Salt Lake City.  Procedural rules can be waived in the =
interest of substantive progress. Regardless, we will attend the meeting
=
and provide demonstrations of our technology ready for beta test shortly
=
in Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese (Simplified), and Korean.  The proof of =
pudding is in the eating -- and we will be armed with more than just an
=
Internet Draft; we'll come with a system that fundamentally is built and
=
working. =20

We believe the IETF serves an extremely important function; thoughtful =
review of technology and selection of standards that bring order to the
=
Internet.  At the same time, we believe that if the IETF chooses a =
standard that does not deliver the same critical functional benefits =
provided by an alternative technology, the marketplace will ultimately =
make the superior technology the de facto standard.=20

We look forward to participating in the process in the coming weeks and
=
months.

Sincerely,

Steve Klein

CEO, Internet Driver =20

[email-masked]

 =20

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C172C2.89D6EB70
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.3315.2870" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To all Members of the IETF:=20
<P class=3DMsoNormal>On behalf of Internet Driver (ID), I would like to
=
thank all=20
of those who took the time to respond to our open letter.<SPAN=20
style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Although the tone of some =
responses were=20
less than kind, I recognize the validity of two recurring themes, and =
the=20
frustration inspired by both: </P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>(1) we did not submit an Internet Draft and, =
therefore,=20
failed to formally participate in the IETF process and (2)
translation=20
algorithms are difficult and we offered few details on how our system =
handles=20
the unique issues involved in translating URLs (abbreviations, nonsense
=
words,=20
combined words, phrases, characters, etc.).</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>In retrospect, I&#8217;m sorry we did not formally
=
participate in=20
the IETF process although we have made several informal attempts to =
reach out to=20
various individuals and explain our system. When Paul Hoffman told us=20
&#8220;proprietary solutions have no place in the global =
Internet,&#8221; we interpreted it=20
to mean that we would not be considered as the IDN standard.<SPAN=20
style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Now that John Klensin and =
others have=20
invited us into the process in good faith, we look forward to submitting
=
an=20
Internet Draft that explains our translation engine and backs up our =
claims that=20
our system addresses all major issues in enabling the full use of the =
DNS for=20
all character scripts.</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>The basic premise of our open letter is that =
Unicode-based=20
non-ASCII script conversion into otherwise meaningless DNS-compliant =
strings=20
creates a global Web fractured by character script, because users of one
=

character script will not be able to directly access website or email =
addresses=20
registered in other character scripts.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: =
yes">&nbsp;=20
</SPAN>In fact, users would have to re-register their domain names and =
email=20
addresses in every language to be fully accessible to all other Internet
=

users.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Paul =
Hoffman&#8217;s first=20
response to our open letter basically said he hoped we were just =
ignorant rather=20
than intentionally lying to people for personal gain because =
&#8220;[t]he current IETF=20
proposals have none of the problems you accuse them of.&#8221; </P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>If Paul Hoffman is right and users of different =
character=20
scripts will be able to access each other&#8217;s URLs (including email
=
and=20
sub-domains), our open letter is largely moot.<SPAN=20
style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If he is not right, I think it
=
is clear=20
that our open letter has served the important interest of bringing a =
critical=20
policy issue to the attention of others including an influential member
=
of the=20
Internet community.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Open
=
letters=20
and PR activity may not help technical analysis but they often promote =
the=20
exchange of ideas, which can&#8217;t be a bad thing. </P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>I believe once the IETF and the Internet community
=
have an=20
opportunity to review the specifics of our system it will become clear =
that our=20
intentions are genuine and our technology is innovative and =
comprehensive in its=20
approach.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Once =
implemented for all=20
character scripts, the ID technology will allow all users to access all
=
domains,=20
email addresses and sub-domains directly using their native script, =
regardless=20
of the script in which the address is registered.</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>I will post ID&#8217;s Internet Draft as soon as =
possible and plan=20
to make it available well in advance of the IETF meeting in December. =
Although=20
we have already missed the official deadline, I hope our system will
be=20
considered in Salt Lake City.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;=20
</SPAN>Procedural rules can be waived in the interest of substantive =
progress.=20
Regardless, we will attend the meeting and provide demonstrations of our
=

technology ready for beta test shortly in Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese=20
(Simplified), and Korean.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; =
</SPAN>The proof=20
of pudding is in the eating -- and we will be armed with more than just
=
an=20
Internet Draft; we&#8217;ll come with a system that fundamentally is =
built and=20
working.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>We believe the IETF serves an extremely important =
function;=20
thoughtful review of technology and selection of standards that bring =
order to=20
the Internet.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>At the same
=
time, we=20
believe that if the IETF chooses a standard that does not deliver the =
same=20
critical functional benefits provided by an alternative technology,
the=20
marketplace will ultimately make the superior technology the de facto =
standard.=20
</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>We look forward to participating in the process in
=
the coming=20
weeks and months.</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>Sincerely,</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>Steve Klein</P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal>CEO, Internet Driver<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: =
yes">&nbsp;=20
</SPAN></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal><A=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A></P
>=

<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;=20
</SPAN></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C172C2.89D6EB70--

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 20:05:42 -0500

Steve,

It takes an inordinate amount of public, semi-public, parallel-public, and
private teeth gnashing for those of us who are trying to work together, to
simply work together. "Procedural rules" help us, and if we "waive" them,
we can "waive" meeting at all.

There are several dozen people who can help your company work within the
IETF, and other organizational frameworks.

Turn out a decent I-D, make it readable, with as little bumpf as you can
manage, and submit it. Be sure to attend the Sunday intro-to meeting if
SLC is your first.

Eric