Subject: Re: [idn] draft about Tradition and Simplified Chinese Conversion[version02]

From: liana Ye <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:03:01 -0800

> If this means that a full solution is very likely to emerge at a 
> higher
> layer, then this proposed low-layer partial solution will end up 
> being
> redundant and unnecessary.
> 

The higher layer full solution relies on the major part of TC/SC
to be resolved on a lower lever.  There will be no  redundance 
in the solution.  That is the beauty of Chinese character 
processing, and how it will achieve its input speed.

> Using case to represent TC/SC is an overloading of semantics.  
> Existing
> applications that convert names to all-uppercase or all-lowercase 
> think
> they know what kind of information they are throwing away, but under
> this proposal they might be throwing away an entirely different kind 
> of
> information.

Han character set is huge and a lot of conflicting uses exist.  
However, there will be some reduction rulings on which codepoints 
can be used driectly as IDN identifiers, which are used under certain 
conditions. That will be the trade off decisions come from JET.  
all-uppercase or all-lowcase situation can be regarded for IDN 
identifier matching only, and the original cases either all-uppercase, 
all-lowercase or mixedcases can be saved at the registera for retrivel.  

My point is 1) those information will not be thrown away.  The second
point is, 2) IDN identifier matching is very important for IDN name 
conflict prevention, which is an addition to 3) DNS name resolution.

Liana