Subject: Re: Layer 2 and "idn identities" (was: Re: [idn] what are the IDN identifiers?)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:25:11 EST

In a message dated 2001-11-30 17:04:52 Pacific Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> The country information has been in TLD already, it can be 
> addressed in Layer 3. 

Sorry, but I'm afraid that's not necessarily true either.  ".com", ".net", 
".org" do not necessarily denote locations in the United States, nor 
locations that are intended to be accessed in English.  It is entirely 
reasonable to expect people to want to register "<Han character><Han 
character><Han character>.com" and now our tagging scheme has fallen apart.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:43:00 -0800

>character><Han character>.com" and now our tagging scheme has fallen apart.

Of course, it goes much further than com/net/org. Most of the 
registrations in the smaller ccTLDs that are selling their names are 
from the US.

And then there is the question of assuming the script that is used in 
the new gTLDs...

And then there is the question of what it means to be "in" a country...

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: Rick H Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:53:28 -0800 (PST)

ok kids,

we are way off course! this isn't about geography or what TLD means what.
lets stick to labels and how we finish up and push out these drafts.

chair: we await a proposed agenda, please post it ASAP, and while you are
       at it -- cut the chatter on the the list and refocus us on the
       priority work at hand.

-rick