Subject: [idn] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-dm-idns-00.txt]

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:59:24 -0600

draft-hall-dm-idns-00.txt was published this morning as an independent
submission which defines namespace and protocol extensions that allow for 
the use of internationalized domain names in DNS and applications, either
as UTF-8 or STD13-compliant sequences, as desired by the participating
systems and their managers.

As per the last guidance from the WG chairs, seven supporters are needed
for this proposal to become a WG action item. Please review the draft and
let me know if you think this is something the WG should be working on. I
have 1 vote, already, of course. :)

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-dm-idns-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:06:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Internationalized Domain Name System
	Author(s)	: E. Hall
	Filename	: draft-hall-dm-idns-00.txt
	Pages		: 55
	Date		: 14-Nov-01
	
The principle intention of this specification is to facilitate the 
deployment of a completely internationalized domain name syntax 
and service which new protocols, applications and host systems can 
use, but without disrupting the existing infrastructure. Towards 
that end, this document describes a series of elective 
encapsulation services and protocol extensions which cumulatively 
allow internationalized domain names to be stored and transmitted 
in the existing DNS message and within application data streams, 
according to the compliance level of the participating systems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hall-dm-idns-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hall-dm-idns-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hall-dm-idns-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: David Hopwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:13:23 +0000

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

> have 1 vote, already, of course. :)

Although I have lots of reservations (mainly on grounds of complexity) about
the IDNS approach, I think it should certainly be in the WG pool, so you
have my vote. Reading this draft has helped quite a bit in preparing my
own draft.

- -- 
David Hopwood <[email-masked]>

Home page & PGP public key: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hopwood/
RSA 2048-bit; fingerprint 71 8E A6 23 0E D3 4C E5  0F 69 8C D4 FA 66 15 01
Nothing in this message is intended to be legally binding. If I revoke a
public key but refuse to specify why, it is because the private key has been
seized under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act; see www.fipr.org/rip

---

From: YangWoo Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 14:28:26 +0900

> have 1 vote, already, of course. :)

I support this draft be in the WG pool.

-- 
/*------------------------------------------------
YangWoo Ko : [email-masked]
We Invent Enterprise Software Solutions
and Make You Secure & Powerful.
------------------------------------------------*/