Subject: Re: [idn] lowercased hostnames (was: naming syntax rules)

From: Dan Oscarsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:59:20 +0100

>> When I start using non-ASCII in my host names they resolver routines
>> will return native names, not ACE, to the applications.
>
>Correct. However, if the names were encoded in ACE for transfer
purposes,
>then only the lowercase characters will be available.

That is correct. ACE is suitable for backward compatibility, if used in
the IDNA
way. But is bad to restrict current or future needs just because of
limits
in a backwards compatible solution is bad. If ACE gives limits, one more

reason to also have a solution that can handle more.

   dan

---

From: "Bruce Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:05:23 +0900

> reason to also have a solution that can handle more.

ACE itself is not the cause of lower case coming back. The real cause
is that zone data has been nameprepped before the DNS sends it
out, and before the to-ACE conversion routine ever sees it. If the lower
casing effect is a real problem, the solution is to move all
lower casing to the receiving end when names are compared. ACE itself
is perfectly capable of encoding upper and lower case code points.