Subject: [idn] Re: [JET-member 807] Re: reordering

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 22:42:51 +0800

Dear James:
            Re-ordering combined with AMC-ACE-Z is a good approach to
compress the length of encoded ACE-string. We know there are a lot of CJK
scripts that many people may be un-known to them. That is say many scripts
are not frequently used characters. Taiwan, Japan and China all have the
frequently used characters statistics periodically. Most of them are keep as
frequently used.
            Althought hostname may be different with noun or word in
newspaper, but the properties are very similar. One issue is how to update
the version of this table ? The solution can be found by the restriction of
code set size.  That is say we can increment the size slowly. Domain name is
not a name used in traditional book and stored in library.  Comparing to
26+10+2(LDH) , IDN characters expanded too fast and many thing can not be
predictable in current limited size conditions.
            Anyway , re-ordering is a good approach that can reduced the
size of string and focus on frequently used characters especially the CJK
characters need "good" ordering. I know that make you in troubles to
response the need for quick completions in IDN WG, But I must be say it is a
valuable suggestion for all people who concern the successes of IDN in the
furture.

L.M.Tseng

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Seng/Personal" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 9:35 PM
Subject: [JET-member 807] Re: reordering

> > > I am wondering what does JET members thinks of the discussion on nex
> > > step for reordering.
> > >
> > > Would there be any strong objection if we were to drop reordering?
> >
> > Strawapoll become Vote if you as chair go to that path.
>
> Nope, it is not a result of the strawpoll. The result of the strawpoll
> indicated there is no consensus to add reordering.
>
> The result of the discussion after the strawpoll indicated there is
> interest to drop reordering. I am now trying to gather other views on
> this.
>
> But i hear your feedback. I would like to hear from others,
> particularly, CNNIC & TWNIC, please.
>
>
> > James, you should keep your promise "Strawpoll is just a strawpoll!".
>
> Not promise. It is a statement and it remains true.
>
> -James Seng
>