Subject: Re: [idn] IDN charter update - revision 5

From: liana Ye <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:06:45 -0600

Hi, James:

 Now that I have discussed four properties ( visual, 
composition, semantics and phonetics) of a character
on the list, 

> The WG will rely on, and reference, work from established efforts to
> internationalize digital characters, such as, Unicode Consortium and
> ISO/IEC.  Discussion of new codepoints, codepoint properties and
> mappings between codepoints is appropriate for these other venues,
> and is out of scope of this working group.
> 

Have I violated the scope of this group?  Is this the reason
I shall not discuss StepCode on this list?

> 3.  A standard track specification on an ASCII Compatible Encoding
> (ACE), to be used in the standard track specification on permitting
> international characters in domain names.
> 

Is this mean only one ACE will be chosen?

> Nov 2001        Draft of architecture relating input methods, 
> namepreps
>                 and zonefiles

What are the drafts of architecture of IDN in the pool
after Nov 2001, up to today?

Liana

---

From: Rick H Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:26:50 -0800 (PST)

liana,

> I shall not discuss StepCode on this list?

yes, often.

> Is this mean only one ACE will be chosen?

correct.

-rick

---

From: "James Seng/Personal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:36:48 +0800

> I shall not discuss StepCode on this list?

StepCode _may be_ out-of-scope for the wg. But that is not the reasons
for keeping out of the list. The primary reason is that StepCode is not
within the wg core interest. Please respect that and not divert the
group into discussion outside core interest.

> Is this mean only one ACE will be chosen?

Unless there is a need to have more than one ACE is needed, and so far
there is none, so Yes to you question.

> after Nov 2001, up to today?

Suppose to have one according to the result of London meeting. I see
John's 3 Layer model as one possibility.

If John thinks his draft should be outside this wg (since it cover many
things outside this wg), then we should drop this goal & milestone.

-James Seng