Subject: Re: [idn] IDN charter update - revision 5

From: Dan Oscarsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:52:14 +0100

>4.  A standard track specification on normalization of domain
>name identifiers for the purpose of string comparisons. This document
>may
>include case folding, map outs, prohibited characters, and what is
>acceptable as hostnames.
>
>Goal & Milestone:
>
>Dec 2001        domain name identifiers normalization draft last call

I still is not satisfied with the above.
The draft above is which?

Point  4. above says a specification for string comparisons.

I need a specification defining the normalised form for domain names,
so that domain names can be handled easy,
This form may not include case folding.
It is so that software can easy manipulate the character data.
Typically this is Unicode normalisation form KC or C.
If unnormalised character data is allowed,  software will fail in
many places (including DNS, LDAP and web browsers).
It is a wast of CPU resources to allow non-normalised character data.

I still think point 4 ned to be split into two:
- One defining a normalised domain name so it can efficiently and
  easy be handled by software.
- And one defining the canonical form that can be used when
  doing binary comparing of domain names to check for equality.

   Dan

---

From: "James Seng/Personal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:22:18 +0800

> I still is not satisfied with the above.

No problem. We getting closer each time :-)

> The draft above is which?

Nameprep.

> This form may not include case folding.

We dont have such a draft as you describe. Until we do, we cannot
assumed we have one. But of course, you can always speak to the authors
of Nameprep to see is they interested to do so. I do see some merit to
do this at Stringprep level for example, where case folding is not
neccessary done.

>   doing binary comparing of domain names to check for equality.

This fine detail should be capture in the goal & milestone, not Action
Item as I explained to you before.

-James Seng