Subject: [idn] Comments on Nameprep: incomplete preparation

From: "Chun-Hsin Wu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 04:39:48 +0800

Last call comments to draft-ietf-idn-nameprep-07.txt:

   In Unicode 3.1, unified Han ideographs occupy slightly more than 75%
    of the total encoded characters; CJK is a major subset of Unicode.
   Since Nameprep uses Unicode 3.1 as the repertoire for IDN, CJK-DN
   is also a part of IDN. ( http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr27/ )

   As demonstrated in:
      http://www.iis.sinica.edu.tw/~wuch/idn/examples/mixinput.htm
      (referenced by http://www.imc.org/idn/mail-archive/msg05795.html )
      http://www.iis.sinica.edu.tw/~wuch/idn/examples/variant.htm
   Many CJK variants in Unicode 3.1 are similar-looking and
   easy-confusing for typical users, but they were not adequately considered
   in Nameprep. The CJK sub-space of the IDN Identifiable Namespace
   implicitly defined by Nameprep will then make IDN ambiguous and
   disputatious. Even by registration policy, a standardized preparation for
   CJK-DN is still required to maintain the globalness and uniqueness of
   IDN without distrusting the IDN namespace.

So draft-ietf-idn-nameprep-07.txt should be revised
    to explicitly address that this draft is incomplete and another
           preparation for CJK-DN parts is required to achieve
           completely-prepared IDN,
    or to explicitly address that this draft
          does not process Han ideographs of Unicode 31.

Chun-Hsin Wu