Subject: [idn] Internet Draft - Phased Implementation for IDNA

From: "Kenny Huang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 16:30:02 +0800

Dear IETF IDN members,

The attached draft  "Phased Implementation for IDNA" was submitted.
You are welcome to commont on the draft.

FYI

Kenny Huang

---

From: YangWoo Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:12:20 +0900

Dear Kenny Huang,

Good work !

Now we have a foundation to re-start discussion on this issue.
I'd like to comment on a few points. See below,

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 04:30:02PM +0800, Kenny Huang wrote:
> (snip)
> Phased Implementation for Internationalized Domain Names in Applications
> (snip)
 
> 3.2 Visual difficulty
> 
> Some code points are visually impossible to differentiate and 
> could lead to many user entry errors. In this case these 
> code points can cause unpredictable results when queried.
> The issue of visual diffculty may exist in many scripts, but
> the impact of visual difficulty by different language groups
> should be particularly evaluated. 

Though I am not so good at English, but I think "visual ambiguity" is
a more proper term.

> 3.3 Solutions incompleteness
> 
> It is generally accepted that the IDNA solution does not solve the
> CDN problems that listed in Appendix A. Although the WG considered 
> some possible solutions to the CDN problem, those solutions did not 
> meet the IETF's requirements. Thus, this document proposes prohibiting 
> the Han characters listed in Appendix B until a solution that is 
> acceptable to the IETF can be found, or until it is clear that no 
> such solution is possible.

In what condition, we can declare that "it is clear that no such
solution is possible" ? This may be too tough or too loose depending 
upon understanding and attitude toward this issue.

> (snip)
> 5.2 Issues for prohibiting Han code points
> 
> The Han code points are used in many countries and territories,such
> as Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao, Singapore..,etc.
> Except Han code points, Kana is also used in Japan and Hangel is 
> used in Korea.

Hangel -> Hangeul

> (snip)

My best regards

-- 
/*------------------------------------------------
YangWoo Ko : [email-masked]
We Invent Enterprise Software Solutions
and Make You Secure & Powerful.
------------------------------------------------*/

---

From: "ben" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:44:48 -0500

>You are welcome to commont on the draft.

The last call of the documents will end on Feb 11th 2002 (which
coincidentally is "Chinese New Year" by the way) so it is important
that we don't waste anymore time on things that have been discussed
over and over and over and over... and over again for the past 2
years.  Thanks to Kenny for coming up with the new proposal and
providing us with a basis to work with...

After reading the I-D, my question is-  Is it possible to modify the
Appendix B so that it *only* prohibits the "Simplified Chinese code
points" and allow all the rest to move forward?

Thanks,
Ben