Subject: [idn] Fw: BOUNCE [email-masked]: Non-member submission from ["Hsin-Hung Chou" <[email-masked]>]

From: "James Seng/Personal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 06:00:18 +0800

From: "Hsin-Hung Chou" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: PROTEST! RESCUE CHINESE DOMAIN NAMES.
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 03:27:43 +0800
Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message

[Note: there is a series of emails with the exact same content originated
from iis.sinica.edu.tw. I will continue to bounce it to the list until
someone ask me to stop - JS]

PROTEST! RESCUE CHINESE DOMAIN NAMES.

Many Han character variants, also known as equivalent Chinese =
characters, exists in Unicode. A Chinese domain name thus usually has =
many different Unicode representations. As Unicode evolves, more CJK Han =
characters are added to Unicode. It also increases the number of =
variants of a character and the number of characters with variants, and =
thus the number of Unicode representations per Chinese domain name. =20

Though it meets the needs for internationalized domain name of those =
people who uses phonetic characters. However, a Chinese domain name =
service based on IDN WG technology is defective.

We urge the working group to seriously take these cultural differences =
into account. Do not finalize IDN documents without minimizing their =
negative impacts against Chinese domain names.

DO NOT DAMAGE INTERNET COMUNITY IN CHINA AND TAIWAN!

Hsin-Hung Chou
[email-masked]
National Taiwan University

---

From: Rick H Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:24:10 -0800 (PST)

James,

could you ask the posters to include specific issues not already addressed
by the working group. Just protesting dirring a last call doesn't help us
identify way to improve the documents.

Just protesting doesn't count, if an alternative or fix is't included in
how to fix the idn documents.

-rick

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, James Seng/Personal wrote:

> Received: from mail.iis.sinica.edu.tw ([140.109.20.50])
>   by psg.com with esmtp (Exim 3.33 #1)
>   id 16YXpY-000CF8-00
>   for [email-masked]; Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:34:08 -0800
> Received: from kp02 (kp02 [140.109.18.202])
>   by mail.iis.sinica.edu.tw (8.10.2/8.10.2) with ESMTP id g16JTLT00068
>   for <[email-masked]>; Thu, 7 Feb 2002 03:29:21 +0800 (CST)
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> X-Mailer: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
> Thread-Index: AcGvRFkom+OlSvMAQX+0tGr76vwCqg==
> X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
>

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Feb 2002 02:03:51 -0000

Rick H Wesson writes:
> Just protesting doesn't count,

False. The protests, and your refusal to take the protests into account,
will be helpful evidence in any antitrust lawsuit.

---Dan

---

From: Rick H Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:10:59 -0800 (PST)

Dan,

thats a completely inappropiate post and way out of scope for our work
here.

-rick

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 18:15:26 -0800

Wow.

> will be helpful evidence in any antitrust lawsuit.

and 

> Registries will prohibit uppercase non-ASCII characters. Users will
> stick to lowercase characters.

What color is the sky on the planet you're on?

Rgds,
-drc