Subject: RE: [idn] WG last call documents

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:56:01 -0800

> > To make this work, we need ONE stringprep plus ACE.
> > One that can be used on ALL labels in DNS.
> 
> We have been through this subject many times. STD13 binary domain names
> and i18n host names are fundamentally incompatible. One specification will
> not suffice.

Clearly. So is this:

"IDNA-aware applications MUST be able to work with both
non-internationalized labels (those that conform to [STD13]
and [STD3]) and internationalized labels."

going to go away from the IDNA document? It is misleading. Or maybe replaced
with:
 
"IDNA-aware applications MUST be able to work with both
non-internationalized ASCII labels (those that conform to [STD13]
and [STD3]) and internationalized labels."

(where ASCII should be replaced by some other definition since 0000..0020
and U+007F are prohibited by Nameprep-07; unless Nameprep is changed to
allow them since ToASCII now has an explicit "hostname" step).

YA

---

From: "Adam M. Costello" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 05:09:32 +0000

Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > STD13 binary domain names and i18n host names are fundamentally
> > incompatible.
>
> Clearly. So is this:
>
> non-internationalized labels (those that conform to [STD13] and
> [STD3]) and internationalized labels."
>
> going to go away from the IDNA document?  It is misleading.  Or maybe
> replaced with:
>
> non-internationalized ASCII labels (those that conform to [STD13] and
> [STD3]) and internationalized labels."

We are planning to add the following to the definition of "label":

    [STD13] permits labels to contain arbitrary binary data that might
    not represent text.  IDNA does not apply to non-text labels.
    Throughout this document the term "label" is shorthand for "text
    label", and "every label" means "every text label".

Does that help?

> (where ASCII should be replaced by some other definition since
> 0000..0020 and U+007F are prohibited by Nameprep-07; unless Nameprep
> is changed to allow them since ToASCII now has an explicit "hostname"
> step).

Yes, we are removing all ASCII code points from the Nameprep prohibited
list.

AMC