Subject: [idn] Re: Unicode and Security

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 21:28:53 -0500 (EST)

[email-masked] scripsit:

> Let's keep going.  Latin Y, Greek Upsilon, Cyrillic U.  Wait a minute,
that
> Cyrillic U doesn't look *quite* the same.  Oh well, it's close enough,
right?

And then there's the Cyrillic U with the straight descender, whic
actually does look just like its Latin and Greek counterparts.
I guess we just can't afford to have two kinds of Cyrillic U around:
off with their heads (or tails)!

Unfortunately, there goes all those Turkic languages written in
Cyrillic.
Well, they should Romanize anyway.  In fact all languages should
Romanize:
it simplifies everything soooo much, and if we get rid of diacritics
while we're at at it.... well, the ASCII Consortium
(off-net, but cached in part at
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:IRueJQ1bA-4C:www.wholehog.fsnet.co.
uk/robert/ascii/+ASCII+Consortium&hl=en)
will find it a dream come true.  And there was much rejoicing.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
[email-masked]
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.
There
are no words left to express his staggerment, since Men changed the
language
that they learned of elves in the days when all the world was wonderful.
        --_The Hobbit_

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:36:10 -0800

I have long advocated more intelligent GUIs to help distinguish
spoofing names. I think the technique could also help for the
Traditional vs Simplified Chinese issue; to help people type in one or
the other but not mix. I coded up (very rough, I warn you) a quick
demo of what I mean. Try:

http://www.macchiato.com/utc/despoofing

Mark
—————

Πόλλ’ ἠπίστατο ἔργα, κακῶς δ’ ἠπίστατο πάντα — Ὁμήρου Μαργίτῃ
[For transliteration, see http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/tr]

http://www.macchiato.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Cowan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 18:28
Subject: Re: Unicode and Security

> > Let's keep going.  Latin Y, Greek Upsilon, Cyrillic U.  Wait a
minute, that
> > Cyrillic U doesn't look *quite* the same.  Oh well, it's close
enough, right?
Cyrillic.
> (off-net, but cached in part at
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:IRueJQ1bA-4C:www.wholehog.fsnet.c
o.uk/robert/ascii/+ASCII+Consortium&hl=en)
[email-masked]
There
language