Subject: RE: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-nameprep-07.txt

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:30:55 -0800

> No, nor has it ever been. nameprep is called by IDNA. If you see a 
> way to get "$$$" though IDNA, but all means let us know, because it 
> should not.

Yes, I know, I meant that the "$$$" part is allowed by the Nameprep tables.
I do think it's a good idea to have the redundant prohibition as it will be
one less pitfall for implementers. But as long as my library works, I don't
really care :-)

YA

---

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 21:22:56 -0800

> "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > If you are going to be moving SOME of the prohibited characters from
> > nameprep to the IDNA hostname processing, then you need to 
> move ALL of
> > them at that stage.
> 
> There are some code points that should be prohibited in all
> internationalized textual domain names.  The private use code points,
> noncharacter code points, surrogate codes, and left-to-right mark are
> some of the best examples of such code points.  These prohibitions do
> indeed belong in nameprep.

My understanding is that Eric was talking about the octet values? I.e.
0000..00FF only since these are the ones which already have an
interpretation (i.e. LDH only plus the hyphen rule for hostnames, but any
octet for STD 13, ...).

And I agree with Adam about the need to scrutinize the other ASCII
codepoints that are still prohibited.

YA