Subject: [idn] END OF AYAH vs NAMEPREP

From: Roozbeh Pournader <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 04:54:45 +0330 (IRT)

I was wondering about our (Unicode bidi committee's) suggested change to
the character category of U+06DD ARABIC END OF AYAH to a formatting 
character ("Cf" instead of "Me"), and how that could affect nameprep. 
Section 5.2 of the latest nameprep document marks all formatting 
characters prohibited, and this character may become a formatting 
character very soon...

roozbeh

-- 
Note: If you want me to read a message, please make sure you include my
address in "To" or "CC" fields. I may not be able to follow all the
discussions on the mailing lists I subscribe. Sorry. (No, there's no problem
to receive duplicates.)
kl;klkl

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:07:42 +0900

Hello Roozbeh,

>characters prohibited, and this character may become a formatting

Are you worried about a change to a property that will not be
tracked by nameprep? Or are you worrying that END OF AYAH
won't be usable in domain names?

Regards,    Martin.

---

From: Roozbeh Pournader <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:38:31 +0330 (IRT)

> won't be usable in domain names?

The first. We will then be allowing a control character pass nameprep.

roozbeh

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:54:09 +0900

You have a much better idea about END OF AYAH than I have.
If you think it should not be part of IDN, then just
propose to put it on the 'prohibited' list.

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: Roozbeh Pournader <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:11:09 +0330 (IRT)

> propose to put it on the 'prohibited' list.

I don't know much if it should be part of IDN. There are many characters 
that are part of IDN and should be prohibited or ignored in my opinion.

But it was IDN's policy to prohibit control characters, and this character
may become a control character soon. This is what I was worrying about.

roozbeh