Subject: [idn] Last call comments to stringprep

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:20:35 +0900

Last call comments to draft-hoffman-stringprep-00.txt:

Section 4, paragaph starting 'If a profile': 'Many user interface
systems enter compatibility characters instead of the base equivalents.'
The systems don't really enter the characters, the users enter them.
Also, sometimes compatibility characters get entered, but it's not that
frequent. I suggest writing:

'Some user interface systems make it possible to enter compatibility
characters instead of the base equivalents.'

Regarding:
    [[[[[ Patrick asks: Is not addition of unassigned codepoints regarded
    an update of UAX15? This is relevant here. ]]]]]

First, I'm a bit surprised to find this question in a last-call document.
But I hope I can help clearing it up. Being coauthor of UAX15, I can tell
you that UAX15 does not have to be updated when new characters get added
to Unicode (which I guess is what 'addition of unassigned codepoints'
refers to).

UAX15 points to a list of composition exclusions, maintained in a separate
file. In case new precomposed characters are added, this file will be
updated. It should be expected that implementations at least use the
composition exclusion file that corresponds to the Unicode version
for the relevant stringprep profile (as expressed by the unassigned
codepoints). This should probably be mentioned in stringprep.
Apart from that, I don't know any way in which assignement of
additional codepoints as such (as opposed to an actual change to
UAX15, which is a different thing) can change normalization.

Section 6.1: MN: 'are never appear': Remove 'are'.

Regards,   Martin.

Regards,    Martin.