Subject: [idn] ITU position.

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:18:53 +0200

This will probably lead to the major controversy I tried to avoid in coming 
in here.
Are you sure you do not want to discuss babelization before we must fight it?
jfc

cf. http://www.itu.int/newsroom/pp02/Highlights/1010.html

ITU stakes claim on Internet names

The Working Group of the Plenary approved a resolution on the management
of internationalized multilingual domain names. This resolution aims at
promoting the role of Member States in the internationalization of domain
names and addresses of their respective languages. This will be increasingly
important in the coming years as a majority of Internet users is expected
to prefer to conduct online activities in their own language. It is also
important because the current Domain Names System (DNS) mapping does not
reflect the growing language needs of all. The resolution stresses that
the registration and allocation of Internet domain names and addresses
should reflect the geographical and functional nature of the Internet with
an equitable balance of interests of all stakeholders. It also emphasizes
that the non-discriminatory access to Internet domain names and addresses,
and more generally to the Internet, should be available to all citizens
and that the management of Internet Domain Names and addresses is of
concern to both governments and the private sector. It also reiterates
the need to fully maintain country code numbering plans and addresses as
in ITU-T recommendation E.164 which defines the international public
telecommunication numbering plan. Under this resolution, ITU will be
providing assistance to its Member States to promote the use of their
languages for domain names and addresses and will cooperate with the
World Intellectual Property Organization whose role includes protection
against misuse of intellectual property rights in the use of countries'
languages for domain names and addresses.