Subject: [idn] When will IDN be functional?

From: "Georg Ochsner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:55:00 +0100

Hello friends,

can anybody tell me, when IDNs will finally go live now, with the final
prefix and everything? What are the reasons for the latest delays (at
Verisign)?

Regards,
George

---

From: "Martin v. Löwis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 01:26:55 +0100

> prefix and everything? What are the reasons for the latest delays (at

They are live already. It is up to each registry to allow registration,
employing additional per-TLD-restrictions, as the registry sees fit.
Verisign manages just com/net/org, and there are much more ccTLDs which
proceed at their own pace (even though, to my knowledge, .nu is the only
one that has IDNA operational today).

Regards,
Martin

---

From: Kim Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:30:38 +0100

> one that has IDNA operational today).

.se, .pl and .jp are some others.

As for VeriSign, it has a request pending with ICANN since October 13 
seeking permission to offer IDNs.

kim

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:48:39 +0100

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 11:55:00AM +0100,
 Georg Ochsner <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 16 lines which said:

> prefix and everything?

As mentioned, they are live for several months. Here is the list of
proper RFCs:

3490 Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications (IDNA). P.
     Faltstrom, P. Hoffman, A. Costello. March 2003. (Format: TXT=51943
     bytes) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
3491 Nameprep: A Stringprep Profile for Internationalized Domain Names
     (IDN). P. Hoffman, M. Blanchet. March 2003. (Format: TXT=10316 bytes)
     (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
3492 Punycode: A Bootstring encoding of Unicode for Internationalized
     Domain Names in Applications (IDNA). A. Costello. March 2003.
     (Format: TXT=67439 bytes) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)