Subject: [idn] IDNs in IE and Google

From: "Georg Ochsner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:43:44 +0100

Hello again,

does anybody know, when Microsoft will implement the new IDN standards in IE
(service pack or something)?

And when is Google planning to index IDNs "correctly" in native characters?

Thanks and good luck,
Georg

---

From: "Andrzej Bartosiewicz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:27:41 +0100

I'm surprised that Google does not support IDNs. In Poland, the
NetSprint (netsprint.pl) search engine supports the IDNs (NetSprint is
very popular in Poland; NetSprint is the official search engine for the
biggest "internet-portals" like WP.pl or poland.pl)

By the end of 2003, all IDN-web sites (.pl only) has been indexed. 

More (in Polish only)...
http://gospodarka.gazeta.pl/gospodarka/1,36051,1828201.html 
http://www.egospodarka.pl/article/articleview/3793/1/12/ 
http://www.webinside.pl/news/163 
http://www.biznesnet.pl/a/6757/
http://www.searchengines.pl/cms/cms/index.php?action=read&news_id=110 
http://www.e-biznes.pl/inf/107155945660120.shtml

Andrzej Bartosiewicz

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:09:35 +0100

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:43:44PM +0100,
 Georg Ochsner <[email-masked]> wrote 

> (service pack or something)?

The technical director of Microsoft France, Bernard Ourghanlian,
queried by AFNIC, replied that the are no immediate plans to support
IDN, Microsoft prefers to wait for "full" IRI.

A more detailed (and in english) reply from Microsoft is there:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/presentations/unicode23/a6.pdf

Anyway, Real Men only use free software :-)

---

From: Andrzej Bartosiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:09:01 +0100 (MET)

You can try one of registered IDNs. The full list if IDNs:
www.bartosiewicz.pl/IDNdomainsPL.txt

or contact netsprint.pl.

Andrzej.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Georg Ochsner wrote:

> Hello Andrzej,
>
> can you give me an example to look for at netsprint.pl in order to see some
> IDNs in the result list?
>
> Ciao,
> Georg
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Andrzej Bartosiewicz" <[email-masked]>
> To: "'Georg Ochsner'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 8:27 AM
> Subject: RE: [idn] IDNs in IE and Google
>
>