Subject: [idn] gTLD Registry Constituency's statement

From: William Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:43:24 +1100

The gTLD Registry Constituency issued a statement about the homograph 
attack: http://www.icann.org/topics/news022305.html

    For languages that use the LDH characters and for which a registry
    does not have explicit inclusion tables, the LDH table may be used
    as a default table for registration requests tagged with those
    languages, pending fully developed inclusion tables becoming
    available during the course of dialogue between the registries and
    their reference groups in the respective language communities. The
    decision to apply the LDH default to a given language will be made
    in consideration of the requirements applying to the other scripts
    that might appear in the full inclusion table, such as the
    restrictions on bidirectional strings imposed by the IDNA standard.

    These measures will be implemented in the shortest possible time by
    all of the IDN registries listed above.

AFAIK, only com/net has not implemented the restriction in the paragraph 
quoted above. This may be an indication that Verisign will essentially 
stop allowing languages for which they have no inclusion tables? If 
that's the case, it's certainly good news for the community.

Nothing has been said about the pre-existing names in those registries, 
and how they would deal with them in the case of renewals.

wil.