Subject: RE: [idn] homograph attacks

From: "Kane, Pat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:55:33 -0500

Roozbeh,

Thank you for that clarification.  I still would not want to deploy an
assumptive table.  Do you know of anyone working on a table for Tajik?
Also, have you had any involvement in an Arabic table?

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Roozbeh Pournader [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:48 AM
To: Kane, Pat
Cc: "Martin v." Löwis"; tedd; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [idn] homograph attacks

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 14:30 -0500, Kane, Pat wrote:
> There are other languages that are listed within ISO 639-2 that today use
a
> combination of Latin and Cyrillic as they were originally Latin based
(Tajik
> was Arabic prior to being Latin based), migrated to Cyrillic during the
> Soviet era and today are migrating back to Latin.  It is common to use
Latin
> and Cyrillic characters in Tajik, from what I understand not being a
native
> speaker.  Granted there are not a lot of registrations in com net that are
> Tajik, but this is just the point of an IDN.

Tajik doesn't mix Latin and Cyrillic, I can definitely tell you that.
But it has three different and separate orthographies, one using Latin,
one using Cyrillic, and one using Arabic.

I can tell you that because I read Tajik. I can also be considered a
native speaker somehow, since I speak Persian, that Tajik is sometimes
considered a dialect of.

roozbeh