Subject: Re: [Idna-update] Updating the review procedure in RFC 5892 for new Unicode versions

From: Jaap Akkerhuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 12:39:54 +0200

I have reviewed this document and do support the piblication. I
specifically like that it explains the confusion about the
non-authoritaive IANA IDNA tables.

	jaap

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:05:43 -0400

> non-authoritaive IANA IDNA tables.

Thanks.  It started becoming obvious to Patrik and myself when
the complaints about not updating the tables stopping work
started becoming loud over a year ago, more clear when the IAB
issued the statement that I interpreted as "just get on with
it", and completely obvious when in-depth discussions of
draft-faltstrom-unicode11 started, that a clarification was
overdue.

If this clarification does not end that confusion, the IETF
should consider taking that IANA registry and tables down
entirely, perhaps replacing them with entries in some version
control system that are "owned" by the designated expert who
creates them.  But let's hope that this will suffice.

thanks again,
    john