Subject: Route Flap Damping - changes since last call

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 21:08:26 -0500

There were a few comments in the last call for the Route Flap Damping
draft, draft-ietf-idr-route-damp-00.txt.  I've made revisions and will
submit the revised draft (-01) to the rfc editor.

There is a revised I-D http://engr.ans.net/route-damp/ along with
complete diffs against the latex source (to avoid having to reread the
whole thing).

The changes were in response to comments and are:

  Numerous wording changes and small nits.  Spell checked.

  New subsection named "Per Route State" providing a clarification on
  what can be considered a "route" for the purpose of damping.  This
  contains a few words on the implications of including some of the
  BGP attributes that are stated as optional for the purpose of route
  damping.

  A few words of clarification intended to make it more clear that the
  "reuse lists" are used both to identify the reachable routes that
  are reusable after a waiting time and the unreachable routes that
  can be completely disposed of after a waiting time.

  A number of paragraphs were added to the "Implementation Experience"
  section to reflect the experiences and recommendations of the RIPE
  routing-wg and the case provided by Alan Barrett on the IEPG mailing
  list.

  The "Acknowledgements" section was updated, though I can't list
  everyone who has provided implementation feedback in the last two
  years without missing individuals from so I just listed the groups
  (RIPE routing, IEPG, NANOG, IDR) where discussions occurred.

Because of the added paragraphs it might be worth repeating WG last
call just in case there are comments about the additions before
bothering the IESG.  I leave that decision to the WG chairs.

Curtis

ps- the direct URLs are:

  http://engr.ans.net/route-damp	introductory text, diffs, pointers

  http://engr.ans.net/route-damp/route-damp.html
  http://engr.ans.net/route-damp/route-damp.txt
  http://engr.ans.net/route-damp/route-damp.ps

  ftp://engr.ans.net/pub/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-route-damp-01.txt
  ftp://engr.ans.net/pub/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-route-damp-01.ps

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 98 05:45:41 PST

Curtis,
 
> bothering the IESG.  I leave that decision to the WG chairs.

I would propose we'll have an "abbreviated" WG Last Call till
next Friday (Jan 16). In the absence of any objections to the
revised version of your document, on Jan 16 we'll ask the IESG
to advance the document to a Proposed Standard.

Yakov.