Subject: Re: using the TCP MD5 protection for BGP - Proposed Standard???

From: Sandy Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 15:31:51 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, Pedro.  Particularly for being kind.

I did what I should have done in the first place and checked the
archive.  Given that I've muddied the water here, I thought I'd better
review the history.

The discussion of PS vs BCP took place over a couple of weeks after
the Dec 97 IETF.  Joel Halpern opened the discussion with a question
as to "whether proposed standard is the correct status for this
document".  The two Tony's (Li and Przygienda) argued that PS was not
right, but BCP was reasonable.  Curtis argued that this was needed
right now and PS "sent a message" that might convince the vendors to
implement.  No final word was heard from Joel.

Yakov transferred the draft to the IESG, which announced a last call
in February.  In March a new draft was announced (extremely minor
changes from the draft discussed in Dec).  At the end of June another
minor revision was announced (this one our automatic retrieval missed).

I was remembering the discussion from early this year and subsequent
brief discussions with other folk at the March IETF when I asked about
BCP.

My apologies for asking instead of finding out for myself.

--Sandy Murphy