Subject: next hop attribute in BGP multiprotocol packets

From: "Michael S. Briggs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:39:36 -0500 (EST)

Has a decision been made on whether the v4 Next Hop attribute (attribute 
type code 3) should be included in BGP MP packets? It appears thatThis 
attribute is essentially useless in a BGP Multi-Protocol packet, 
however, according to BGP4 it is a well-known mandatory attribute. 
Nothing in the BGP MP draft says otherwise. So, should it be 
included? It would be nice if the draft could be explicit about this. I 
would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Mike Briggs
------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Briggs 			UNH InterOperability Lab
[email-masked]            IP/Routing Consortium
-------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Masaki Hirabaru <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 03:25:29 -0500

Let me ask more basic question.
Can't a BGP4 MP packet carry both IPv4 and IPv6 NRI?

Suppose that there are two MP (v4 and v6) routers peering,
1) they need to establish two TCP (v4 and v6) connections?
2) they share a TCP connection, interleaving IPv4 and v6 updates?
3) they may send both IPv4 and IPv6 NRIs in a MP update?

Thanks,
Masaki

>> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:39:36 -0500 (EST)
>> From: "Michael S. Briggs" <[email-masked]>
>> To: [email-masked]
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Subject: next hop attribute in BGP multiprotocol packets
>> 
>>