Subject: exponentila backoff in idle state???

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:46:09 +0200

Hi,

I have a question related to exponential backoff algorithm that is
described in the BGP state machine for the state idle (RFC 1771, section
8)

According to the RFC, the system should use an exponentially growing
timer (first 60s, then 120 sec,...) each time its decides for its own to
leave the state idle.

I have tried to invoke this situation by connecting routers (various
types) to a test device. Using the test device I generate a TCP RST
(i.e. forced clear of the TCP connection) to abnormally close the TCP
connection.

I noticed that the routers I have tested do not use the exponential
backoff for this case.

So my question would be:
- is this part of the RFC still being used?
- is this part of the RF  not applicable for the TCP  RST case.

Any help is appreciated.

Hans.

---

From: Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:32:31 -0400

Hans:

I am submitting an Internet draft on backoff based on the
bgp-4 state machine draft.  These drafts are being reviewed
by implementors to see if they match existing implementations.

Would you open to reviewing this draft as well
as the state machine draft I sent.   Please let me know
and I'll send the text.

By the end of the month, these documents will go to the working group.
So... get your comments in now.

Sue Hares