Subject: clarification on multiple instances of capabilities

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:38:55 -0700

Folks,

In the absence of any objections by 4/17, I'll add the following 
two paragraphs to the draft:

   BGP speakers SHOULD NOT include more than one instance of a
   capability with the same Capability Code, Capability Length,
   and Capability Value.  Note however, that processing of multiple
   instances of such capability does not require special handling,
   as additional instances do not change the meaning of announced
   capability.

   BGP speakers MAY include more than one instance of a capability
   (as identified by the Capability Code) with non-zero Capability
   Length field, but with different Capability Value, and either
   the same or different Capability Length.  Processing of these
   capability instances is specific to the Capability Code and MUST
   be described in the document introducing the new capability.

These two paragraphs will be added to address the comments
brought up by Alex.

Yakov.