Subject: Re: draft-chen-rr-oscillation-reduce-00.txt

From: Anindya Basu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:46:13 -0400

With all due respect, I don't think that this list is the right forum
for ad-hominem attacks! :-) (at least speaking as someone with a PhD,
that you so deride)....
Enough said.
-Anindya

Danny McPherson wrote:

> Generally speaking, it doesn't take a PHD or fancy algorithm
> to figure out several of the proporals won't help my routers
> scale any better.
> 
> -danny

---

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 14:42:29 -0600

> I am actually curious -- have any of you out there with access to real
> routing tables applied any of these algorithms (that purport to send
> extra routes) and seen how many extra routes are generated? Two
> datapoints would be of interest: 
> (a) For what percentage of routing prefixes are extra routes generated? 
> (b) For those prefixes for which extra routes are generated, how many
> extra routes (on an average) are generated per prefix?
> This would provide some ideas about extra memory requirements. Maybe we
> should actually have some numbers before completely dissing a perfectly
> good solution.

Speaking as a SP (today), I'll gladly provide BGP table access to 
anyone interested in doing this.

-danny