Subject: Are dynamic capabilities really necessary if peers support gracef ul restart?

From: "Tsillas, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:16:02 -0400

It seems we are entering major discussion on dynamic
capabilities and the can of worms is open. Can anyone
think of a scenario where a dynamic capabilities
negotiation is still needed if we have graceful restart?

thanks,
-Jim.

---

From: "Srihari R. Sangli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:43:21 -0700 (PDT)

> negotiation is still needed if we have graceful restart?

Talking about address-families exchanged between BGP speakers, the
dynamic capability is useful for enabling a new address-family or
disabling a address-family w/o disrupting the session and/or other
address-families. It is also useful for turning ON/OFF other capabilities
(like ORF, etc)  without much disruption. Note that Graceful restart has
its own limitations for control plane changes.

I understand that the draft needs to be clear on the race condition
aspects that was mentioned earlier. Any other issues ?

srihari...

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:55:16 -0700

Srihari,

> (like ORF, etc)  without much disruption. 

Just to clarify, in the presence of graceful restart the disruption
you refer to above is just the disruption in the routing peering
between the two speakers. There is no disruption in the data/forwarding
plane and no disruption in any other routing peering. Correct ?

Yakov.

---

From: "Srihari R. Sangli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:55:20 -0700 (PDT)

Yakov,

> plane and no disruption in any other routing peering. Correct ?

I was referring to the control plane changes after the BGP speaker restart
event until the point its up and has relearned them.

srihari...