Subject: Re: My BGP Route Update Pacing Draft

From: "M. ELK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:59:37 +0000

Manav / Marelines

May be it will be clear if we define what pbm this draft is trying to

solve .

1) R1 could be under stress occasionaly

or

2)R1 have a low HP (relative to his location in the netw ) and R1 will be

in this situation very often .

i guess solving case 2 is not appropriate by a protocol change ,also we

are pushing the purden of  R1 weakness to his peers .

for case 1 :

Could the graceful restart mechanism be a solution to this pblm .

Say R1 is peering with N peer . R1 is under stress

R1 select to close 1..m  TCP session with peer 1 to m , deal with the remaining  session (m+1 ...N) and clear his congestion (now R1 have

enough HP ) . R1 initiae a session to peer 1 ...m with restart bit set and f bit set  .

Here we assume that R1 could sort his stress within a restart time value.

Brgds

Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: Click Here

---

From: Manav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:14:47 +0530

Elk,

| for case 1 :
|
| Could the graceful restart mechanism be a solution to this pblm .
|
| Say R1 is peering with N peer . R1 is under stress
|
| R1 select to close 1..m  TCP session with peer 1 to m , deal with the
remaining  session (m+1 ...N) and clear his congestion (now R1 have
|
| enough HP ) . R1 initiae a session to peer 1 ...m with restart bit set
and f bit set  .

Few comments follow:

- How will R1 know in advance the time it may take to come out of the
congested state? Because R1 has to advertise some "Restart time" as the
worst case time during the startup. And since the Restart Time < HoldTime
carried in the OPEN message you are not left with much time to clear your
congestion !
- On what basis does R1 choose peers 1 .. m to close its TCP session with?
Why not m+1 .. N OR m+1 .. p where p<=N for that matter ?
- Closing the session with 1 .. m because R1 cant take all that load isnt
really a bright idea. Moreover what if the load doesnt go away and the
congestion doesnt clear with time?

|  Here we assume that R1 could sort his stress within a restart time
value.

on what basis? do you have any statistics/reports/studies which state that?

Manav