Subject: draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-18.txt

From: Manav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:42:58 +0530

sec 6.5 of the latest draft states - " If  system does not receive
successive KEEPALIVE and/or UPDATE and/or NOTIFICATION messages within the
period specified in the Hold Time field of the OPEN message, then the
NOTIFICATION message with   Hold Timer Expired Error Code must be sent and
the BGP connection closed"

IMHO we must update the draft to also include other BGP messages (Route
Refresh, Dynamic Capability, INFORM) which when received by the local
system act as surrogate for the KEEPALIVE messages it would expect from the
remote end. The local system upon receiving such messages must restart its
Hold Timer

Similarly the draft should mention that each time the local system sends
such BGP messages it should restart its KeepAlive Timer, unless the
negotiated HoldTime value is zero.

These changes can be reflected in the BGP draft or can be done in the
drafts introducing such BGP messages.

Regards,
Manav

----
"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you
sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."

-Albert Einstein, on relativity

---

From: lidefeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:21:20 +0800

hi,

    I can only get the draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-17.txt from the "Internet-Drafts Index ", and where can I get the newest version:Internet-Drafts Index , which you are discussing.And I wonder why "Internet-Drafts Index" doesn't list the latest version of draft. I am always downloading the draft from there, and I am afraid I will drag behind the discuss.

Regards

Li Defeng

---

From: Manav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 08:35:19 +0530

umm .. what i meant was that the suggested changes should go into the draft
mentioned in the subject i.e 18th.
apologies for the confusion .. i was referring to the draft 17 only!

----- Original Message -----
From: "lidefeng" <[email-masked]>
To: "Manav Bhatia" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2002 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-18.txt

| hi,
|
|     I can only get the draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-17.txt from the
"Internet-Drafts Index ", and where can I get the newest
version:Internet-Drafts Index , which you are discussing.And I wonder why
"Internet-Drafts Index" doesn't list the latest version of draft. I am
always downloading the draft from there, and I am afraid I will drag behind
the discuss.
|
| Regards
|
| Li Defeng
|
|
| ----- Original Message -----
| From: "Manav Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
| To: <[email-masked]>
| Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 3:12 PM
| Subject: draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-18.txt
|
|
| > sec 6.5 of the latest draft states - " If  system does not receive
| > successive KEEPALIVE and/or UPDATE and/or NOTIFICATION messages within
the
| > period specified in the Hold Time field of the OPEN message, then the
| > NOTIFICATION message with   Hold Timer Expired Error Code must be sent
and
| > the BGP connection closed"
| >
| > IMHO we must update the draft to also include other BGP messages (Route
| > Refresh, Dynamic Capability, INFORM) which when received by the local
| > system act as surrogate for the KEEPALIVE messages it would expect from
the
| > remote end. The local system upon receiving such messages must restart
its
| > Hold Timer
| >
| > Similarly the draft should mention that each time the local system
sends
| > such BGP messages it should restart its KeepAlive Timer, unless the
| > negotiated HoldTime value is zero.
| >
| > These changes can be reflected in the BGP draft or can be done in the
| > drafts introducing such BGP messages.
| >
| > Regards,
| > Manav
| >
| > ----
| > "When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When
you
| > sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's
relativity."
| >
| > -Albert Einstein, on relativity
| >
| >