Subject: BGP-Figures

From: "Parag Deshpande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:55:56 -0500

Hi,

I would appreciate if someone could provide the current figures for the following:
1. No. of Networks in the Internet = 
2. Avg No. of BGP peers in an AS = 
3. No of Autonomous Systems in the Internet = 
4. Typical (No. of) BGP Routing table entries = 

Thanks
Parag

---

From: "Bradley Dunn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:03:30 -0400

> 4. Typical (No. of) BGP Routing table entries =

3 and 4 can be answered by browsing http://bgp.potaroo.net/.

I'm not sure what you mean by 1 and how it would differ from 3 or 4.

2 is nearly impossible to measure, but I'd guess the average is relatively
low (<10), weighed down by lots of multi-homed edge networks with only a few
routers and upstreams. Service provider networks might push into the low
100s on border routers, but even for large networks the number will be
moderated by deployment of route reflectors and/or confederations.

Bradley