Subject: Error handling in the update message..

From: "Shankar Ananthanarayanan Kambat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:34:42 +0530

Hi,
   It is well known that LOCAL_PREF and ORIGINATOR_ID(Route Reflector Scenario) should not be sent across autonomous system by BGP. However, if an EBGP speaker receives an update message with such an attribute, may be due to malfunctioning of the peer router, should it ignore the attribute or sent a notification? I don't see an error subcode for the same in the draft/RFC. If it is ignored will it not have any problem?

Thanks 
Shankar K A

---

From: Manav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:59:19 -0800

Shankar,
If a Loc Pref is present in an UPDATE from the external peer then the Loc
Pref should be ignored and the rest of the attributes must be processed. We
must send a notification only in the extreme cases.

--Manav
----- Original Message -----
From: "Shankar Ananthanarayanan Kambat" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 6:04 AM
Subject: Error handling in the update message..

Hi,
   It is well known that LOCAL_PREF and ORIGINATOR_ID(Route Reflector
Scenario) should not be sent across autonomous system by BGP. However, if an
EBGP speaker receives an update message with such an attribute, may be due
to malfunctioning of the peer router, should it ignore the attribute or sent
a notification? I don't see an error subcode for the same in the draft/RFC.
If it is ignored will it not have any problem?

Thanks
Shankar K A