Subject: damping persistent peer oscillations

From: "Natale, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:47:19 -0500

From Draft 18:
"Local system automatically starts the BGP peer connection with persistent
peer oscillation damping enabled.  The exact method of damping persistent
peer oscillations is left up to the implementation.   These methods of
damping persistent BGP adjacency flapping are outside the scope of this
document."

-- is there a draft describing a "method of damping persistent peer
oscillations" ?

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 13:33:01 -0500

In message <[email-masked]
> -- is there a draft describing a "method of damping persistent peer

RFC 2439 "BGP Route Flap Damping":

  4.8.5 Processing A Peer Router Loss

   When a peer routing session is broken, either all individual routes
   advertised by that peer may be marked as unstable, or the peering
   session itself may be marked as unstable.  Marking the peer will save
   considerable memory.  Since the individual routes are advertised as
   unreachable to routers beyond the immediate problem, per route state
   will be incurred beyond the peer immediately adjacent to the BGP
   session that went down.  If the instability continues, the
   immediately adjacent router need only keep track of the peer
   stability history.  The routers beyond that point will receive no
   further advertisements or withdrawal of routes and will dispose of
   the damping structure over time.

   BGP notification through an optional transitive attribute that
   damping will already be applied may be considered in the future to
   reduce the number of routers that incur damping structure storage

Curtis