Subject: RE: BGP Identifier in draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-18.txt

From: "Krishnan, Vijay G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:24:41 -0500

<snip>
From the text that you quoted:  "The value of the BGP Identifier is 
determined on startup and is the same for every local interface and every
BGP peer."
<snip>

Is this true for a BGP/MPLS case, where each BGP peer will be attached to a
VRF? Each VRF will have a Router_ID (used by IGPs like OSPF). Should the BGP
Identfier be the same as this Router ID. This would mean that we should have
different BGP Identifier for each VRF and one for the internet VRF. 

-Vijay

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:30:53 -0500

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:24:41AM -0500, Krishnan, Vijay G. wrote:
> VRF?

This starts to be very edgy.

> Each VRF will have a Router_ID (used by IGPs like OSPF). Should the BGP

IMO (and likely contradicted by some implementations), a given router
will have a common router-id/bgp identifier which is applied to
all VRF's for that router.

In cases where you have a "virtual router" where resources are internally
disjoint, you are likely to have more than one router-id/bgp identifier.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies