Subject: Re: [Idr] Using a Routing Protocol to resolve reachability to the Remote Peer

From: John Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:13:56 +0000 (GMT)

Curtis,
 
| This is the common practice.  For N other routers in the IGP you have
| N IBGP adjacnencies and the common ways to reduce that number are
| confederations (not used as much these days) and BGP route reflectors.

Really? 

Do i need to run BGP on all the IGP routers that i have in my network? I am aware of a
couple of them which dont.

And anyway, even if i put all of them in a full mesh or use RR, i still depend upon my
IGPs to lead my RR to the correct clients/non clients. Which basically was my confusion.
  
John

| As far as missing something, you've missed the last 10 years of
| discussion of common practice so maybe it would be a good time to dive
| into a book on routing.

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Tony Tauber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:16:52 -0500 (EST)

[ Just so you don't think Curtis' opinion is an isolated one.]

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, John Smith wrote:

> Curtis,
>
> | This is the common practice.  For N other routers in the IGP you
> | have N IBGP adjacnencies and the common ways to reduce that number
> | are confederations (not used as much these days) and BGP route
> | reflectors.
>
> Really?

Yes.

> Do i need to run BGP on all the IGP routers that i have in my
> network? I am aware of a couple of them which dont.

Depends on the design.

> | discussion of common practice so maybe it would be a good time to
> | dive into a book on routing.

Yes, really.

Tony

---

From: Tony Tauber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:16:52 -0500 (EST)

Yes.

Depends on the design.

Yes, really.

Tony

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:50:07 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, John Smith
> | into a book on routing.

John,

I'm not sure what you are arguing.

It is common practice to run BGP over your IGP.  It is common practice
to run BGP on all routers.  RR is frequeently used.

Some people would like to get BGP out of the core using MPLS/TE but
that AFAIK is not yet a widespread practice.

There are some routers that don't need to run BGP.  Some are on the
edges (and can use a default route or default conditional on IGP
routing).

Perhaps you misread what I was indicating was common practice.

Curtis

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:50:07 -0500

John,

Curtis