Subject: RE: [Idr] Confed ids

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:39:48 -0400

Maneesh:

Pratik Bose and I been working on BGP capabilities to address 

Something in the same areas.  I'm preparing new 

Internet drafts for publication today (they are -01 drafts). 

This new work provide you a way to pre-negotiate any peer changes.

Here' the basic concdept;

1)     A peer says I'm AS 10 and I may go to AS 20,40,60 or 70

a.      .  You may then shift shift internally via a dynamic capability
at your leisure.  

b.      That's the part about "we decide" to move R1] - you can
pre-configure

Anything you might possibility go to with those remote peers.

2)     You send a dynamic capability exchange indicating you are
changing ASes

3)     Both peers switch

a.      Routes are updated with the new AS

After the switch occurs (the peering session never stops), the peer
sending

the routes can update the AS path (to the different confederation -
depends on the nesting.)

It provides choices: The routes may be immediately updated, updated in
bunches, or never updated.

(The never updated is to allow a quick fail-over and fail-back without
re-negotiating).

The drafts are: 

*        Dynamic AS renumbering, and

*        Dynamic AS Switching at AS Confederation Edge

As I'm in the middle of fighting with the IETF draft publishing format.

May I send you the draft on Monday morning as I post them.

Sue

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Maneesh Chawla
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 5:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Idr] Confed ids

Hi All,

          I have a question : Say , two routers, R1 and R2, are in the
same confed. Now, when we decide to move R1 to a different confed and
just change the confed id of R1 without changing the rest of the configs
, the  peering should not ideally happen since here we will be trying to
peer with an internal AS of R2's confed instead of R2's confed itself. 

    Is there a way to carry the confed id also in any of the messages so
that we can stop a peering between the internal ASs(as in the above
case) if the confed id's are different ? or do we just depend on the
administrator ? 

Sorry if the question has already  been answered , I couldnt locate it
in the archives.

TIA

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr