Subject: [Idr] 6PE-Alt draft

From: "Vishwas Manral" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:06:00 -0800

Hi folks,

We have written a draft which will possibly replace the 6PE RFC. The
6PE RFC uses a label to be sent along with the prefix for each route.
This label is then used as the "VPN label" (keeping with the
terminology of BGP MPLS IP VPN RFC). However the only use the label
serves is to tell the encapsulated packet is an IPv6 packet, as well
as some additional uses as defined in the RFC.

Because a VPN label is required and its only use is to signal that the
inside packet is IPv6, we instead elegantly use the "IPv6 Explicit
NULL label". This label signals the same information. The advantage is
that labels need not be added with the routes and no such extension is
required. It also considerably simplifies the Multi AS scenarios.

The draft will soon be visible in the IETF site and is attached here. I
have removed some sections of the draft temporarily so that the mail
does not bounce from the IDR list.

Thanks,
Vishwas and Manoj
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr