Subject: Re: [Idr] [f-nsp] XMR SNMP BGP accepted prefixes

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:56:54 +0200

Erich Hohermuth writes:
> I'm searching for something similar on the xmr like I had on my
> cisco device for pooling the accepted bgp prefixes
> "cbgpPeerPrefixAccepted" [1]. I searched the foundry mib [2] but I
> couldn't find something. Unfortunately on the standard bgp mib [3]
> this information isn't supported.

That's true.  But in the IETF IDR (Inter-Domain Routing) WG there is
an effort to define a new and improved standard BGP MIB.

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/idr/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2/

(The draft has currently "expired" because it hasn't been updated in
 six months.  But as long as people are interested in this, there is a
 chance that this will become standardized eventually.)

As of the latest proposal, this new BGP4-MIB will include

    bgpPrefixInPrefixesAccepted OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX Gauge32
        MAX-ACCESS read-only
        STATUS current
        DESCRIPTION
            "The number of prefixes for a peer that are installed
             in the Adj-Ribs-In and are eligible to become active
             in the Loc-Rib."
        ::= { bgpPrefixCountersEntry 4 }

In addition, it will allow monitoring of BGP peerings and routes for
(sub-) address families other than IPv4 unicast, in particular IPv6.

It would be really great if vendors such as Foundry would go ahead and
implement this draft.  That way people could gather experience both
implementing the SNMP agent side and using the MIB to monitor their
peerings, and feed back those experiences into the IETF IDR WG.

It's a shame that we still don't have a standard BGP MIB that has
these things that many ISPs find essential for monitoring their
peerings.
-- 
Simon.
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:06:22 -0400

>  chance that this will become standardized eventually.)

Version 7 of this draft will be published once the last round of review
comments has been addressed.  I'll submit 7 by the end of the week
even if those comments aren't ready.

> implement this draft.

7 incorporates some index changes and some other reorg work.  We will
also have passed early MIB doctor review and hopefully can finally
freeze the draft from major structural changes.

-- Jeff

---

From: Ryan Harden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:36:19 -0500

The MLX/XMR 3.7/3.8 Enterprise MIB (MIB_Dec2007_reference.pdf) includes
an OID for BGP Prefixes by peer. Unfortunately the OID doesn't actually
exist within the box (at least on 3.7/3.8 code). I have a dialog open
with my SE about getting this fixed in upcoming releases.

snBgp4NeighborSummaryRouteReceived   fdry.1.2.11.17.1.1.5
snBgp4NeighborSummaryRouteInstalled  fdry.1.2.11.17.1.1.6

They also have no time frame for supporting BGP-MIBv2 as it is not
ratified yet.

So, Foundry has support for this, it's just broken and they are aware of
it. AFAIK they are working on it. (I'm quite loud at times)

/Ryan

> freeze the draft from major structural changes.

- --
Ryan M. Harden, BS, KC9IHX		Office: 217-265-5192
CITES - Network Engineering		Cell:  	630-363-0365
2130 Digital Computer Lab		Fax:    217-244-7089
1304 W. Springfield	 		email:  [email-masked]
Urbana, IL  61801 			

	 University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
		University of Illinois - ICCN
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr