Subject: Re: [Idr] WGLCon draft-ietf-idr-as0 (second send)

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 19:07:17 -0500

Support.

The following comments are meant to hopefully help
the authors improve clarity in a few places in the document.

Draft says:
[I-D.ietf-sidr-iana-objects] specifies that AS number zero in a ROA
   is used to mark an NLRI which is to be marked as Invalid.

Consider changing the above sentence and elaborate as follows:

[I-D.ietf-sidr-iana-objects] specifies that AS number zero in a ROA
   is used to mark an NLRI which is to be marked as Invalid, if routed. 
That is, by creating the ROA with AS number 0, the owner of the 
NLRI is declaring that the NLRI must not be originated by any AS.

Draft says:
As at least two implementations discard routes containing AS 0 (and
   to allow approaches such as the above) this document codifies this
   behavior.

Consider changing the above sentence as follows for clarity:

At least two implementations discard routes containing AS 0.  
To allow approaches such as the above, this document codifies this
   behavior.

Typo:
May be use to identify non-routed networks"
   ([IANA.AS_Numbers]).

s/use/used/

Sriram

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 15:33:55 +0900

> NLRI is declaring that the NLRI must not be originated by any AS.

no.  that is up to local policy in the router.

and do note that if there are two roas
   666.42.7.11  AS 0
   666.42.7.11  AS 42
and an announcement comes in for
   666.42.7.11 _42$
it will be marked as valid

randy

---

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 10:09:25 -0500

>and an announcement comes in for

Understood your point, but still the draft says:
"[I-D.ietf-sidr-iana-objects] specifies that AS number zero in a ROA
is used to mark an NLRI which is to be marked as Invalid."
The sentence says "... an NLRI which is to be marked as _Invalid_" but your example
above contradicts that as it shows that 
the NLRI could be marked as _Valid_ (if there was another ROA).

Sriram