Subject: [Idr] [[email-masked]: I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-redirect-ip-01.txt]

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 11:28:12 -0400

IDR,

The authors were kind enough to address my original concerns about the use
of the nexthop field in this draft and move to the use of extended
communities to contain the redirection address.  (And also added me to the
author list so I'd have to own up to any negative comments about that. :-)

One of the details that still requires some refinement in the draft have to
do with the presence of multiple actions that may impact forwarding.  These
include the original redirect-to-vrf, redirect-to-ip, copy.  There is an
attempt to set some precedence for these operations in cases where an
implementation is unable to support more than one action.  There is also
also an attempt to describe how a mixture of forwarding operations may work
in implementations that might support some forms of load balancing.

Regardless of your opinions on these topics, please remember that something
that must be dealt with in the design of the feature is that since these
features are implemented as communities, there may be more than one type
present.  Since the addition or deletion of such communities may be done at
a router that is not the flowspec route originator, Do Something Sane is the
order of the day.

We look forward to your suggestions and comments.

-- Jeff

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 08:14:27 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-redirect-ip-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : BGP Flow-Spec Redirect to IP Action
        Authors         : James Uttaro
                          Jeffrey Haas
                          Matthieu Texier
                          Andy Karch
                          Adam Simpson
                          Wim Henderickx
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-redirect-ip-01.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2014-04-17

Abstract:
   Flow-spec is an extension to BGP that allows for the dissemination
   of traffic flow specification rules. This has many possible
   applications but the primary one for many network operators is the
   distribution of traffic filtering actions for DDoS mitigation. The
   flow-spec standard [RFC 5575] defines a redirect-to-VRF action for
   policy-based forwarding but this mechanism can be difficult to use,
   particularly in networks without L3 VPN infrastructure.

   This draft defines a new redirect-to-IP flow-spec action that
   provides a simpler method of policy-based forwarding. The details of
   the action, including the IPv4 or IPv6 target address, are encoded
   in newly defined BGP extended communities.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-redirect-ip/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-redirect-ip-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-flowspec-redirect-ip-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

----- End forwarded message -----