Subject: [Idr] RFC 7196 on Making Route Flap Damping Usable

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:02:24 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7196

        Title:      Making Route Flap Damping Usable 
        Author:     C. Pelsser, R. Bush,
                    K. Patel, P. Mohapatra,
                    O. Maennel
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 15202
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-rfd-usable-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7196.txt

Route Flap Damping (RFD) was first proposed to reduce BGP churn in
routers.  Unfortunately, RFD was found to severely penalize sites for
being well connected because topological richness amplifies the
number of update messages exchanged.  Many operators have turned RFD
off.  Based on experimental measurement, this document recommends
adjusting a few RFD algorithmic constants and limits in order to
reduce the high risks with RFD.  The result is damping a non-trivial
amount of long-term churn without penalizing well-behaved prefixes'
normal convergence process.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC