Subject: [Idr] 2 week WG adoption call for draft (5/31 to 6/14)

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 22:50:32 -0400

This begins a 2 week WG adoption call for draft-raszuk-wide-bgp-communities
and draft-raszuk-registered-wide-bgp-communities.   These drafts can be
found at: 

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-raszuk-wide-bgp-communities/

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-raszuk-registered-wide-bgp-communities
/

Authors (Robert Raszuk, Jeff Haas, Andrew Lange, Shane Amante, Bruno
Decraene, Paul Jakma, and Richard Steenbergen) should indicate whether they
know of any IPR.   Since this proposal relates to existing RFCs and IDR WG
document (draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype-07),  We have
included a bit of history below.  At the 6/1/2015 interim (10:00 - 11:30am
EDT), there will be a short review of the technology and time to discuss the
draft with Robert Raszuk. 

Please discuss  

a)       If these drafts should be adopted in addition to
draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype-07,

b)       whether the new flexible format is useful for BGP deployments, and

c)       Any technical issues on the draft. 

As always, indicate "support" or "no support" within the comment. 

Sue Hares and John Scudder 

=================

A bit of history: 

RFC 1997 defines the BGP Community attribute (except for 2 reserved ranges) 

as 4 octets [2 octets AS number, 2 octets local-defined value].  

RFC 4893 introduced 4 byte AS encoding, and suggested using

extended communities [RFC 4360] to encoding 4 octet AS numbers. 

RFC5668 defines a format for a four-octet AS specific extended

community with a designated type field, and defines two

sub-types: Four-octet specific Route Target extended community and

Four-octet specific Route Origin extended community.  

An IDR WG document: draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype-07 

(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype
-07)

specifies a generic sub-type for the four-octet AS specific extended
community. 

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    | 0x02 or 0x42  |     0x04      |           Global              |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |    Administrator              |    Local Administrator        |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 
   Global Administrator sub-field: 4 octets
   This sub-field contains a four-octet Autonomous System number.
 
   Local Administrator sub-field: 2 octets
      This sub-field contains a value that can influence routing
      policies. This value has semantics that are of significance for
      the Autonomous System in the Global Administrator field.

[From draft-ietf-idr-as4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype-07]

Draft-raszuk-wide-bgp-communities suggests a new BGP Path Attribute, 

that provides more flexible encoding than these WG RFCs and draft. 

The wide BGP header includes a Container header and community.

The container header has: 

      0                   1                   2                   3

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     |             Type              |     Flags     |   Hop Count   |

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     |            Length             |

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

      0                   1                   2                   3

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     |               Registered/Local Community Value                |

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     |                        Source AS Number                       |

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     |                       Context AS Number                       |

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     |            Wide Community Target(s) TLV (optional)            |

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     |        Wide Community Exclude Target(s) TLV (optional)        |

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     |          Wide Community Parameter(s) TLV (optional)           |

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                    Figure 4: Wide BGP Community Type 1