Subject: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-large-community-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 12:10:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing of the IETF.

        Title           : Large BGP Communities
        Authors         : Jakob Heitz
                          Job Snijders
                          Keyur Patel
                          Ignas Bagdonas
                          Adam Simpson
                          Nick Hilliard
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-large-community-05.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2016-10-26

Abstract:
   This document describes the Large BGP Communities attribute, an
   extension to BGP-4.  This attribute provides a mechanism to signal
   opaque information within separate namespaces to aid in routing
   management.  The attribute is suitable for use in four-octet ASNs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-large-community/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-large-community-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-large-community-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 21:18:54 +0200

Dear Working Group,

ChangeLog:

    o New Early IANA Allocation!
    o Reduce ambiguity, UINT_MAX -> UINT16_MAX (John Heasley)
    o Remove empty attribute error handling sentence, thus default to 7606 (David Freedman, Jeff, Jakob)

In a twisted turn of events, this effort has ended up with BGP Path
Attribute value 32 - very befitting if you look at the very problem
we're trying to solve :-)

Kind regards,

Job

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:10:46PM -0700, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 12:31:32 +0100

Job

a minor administrative point; the RFC Editor commonly imposes a
constraint of five names on the first page, and this list has now grown
to six.  A common practice is to have just one name on the front, that
of the pen-holder, and list the others at the back, differentiating, at
the back, between those who have made a major contribution and those who
have not.  Cutting out one from six may be more problematic:-(

Tom Petch

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 13:44:18 +0200

Hi Tom,

> have not.  Cutting out one from six may be more problematic:-(

This is not a problem. Looking at the last 1000 published RFCs, roughly
3% of RFCs have more than 5 authors listed. If anything, it will be
something between the RFC Editor and the Authors of this draft.

Thanks for your concern!

Kind regards,

Job

---

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 13:08:01 +0000

Hi Job, Tom, 

>something between the RFC Editor and the Authors of this draft.

I know that as OSPF chair I’ve asked for exceptions to this rule when we
believe all the authors have made a substantive contribution.

Thanks,
Acee

---

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 14:52:39 +0000

>believe all the authors have made a substantive contribution.

Note that I’m not in a position to make the call for this draft and only
wanted to point out that the RFC author limit is a guideline as opposed to
a hard and fast rule.

Thanks,
Acee

---

From: "John G. Scudder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 11:31:03 -0400

On Oct 27, 2016, at 7:44 AM, Job Snijders <[email-masked]> wrote:
> it will be

Actually between the IESG and the authors, see RFC 7322 and related IESG statement (https://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/FrontPageAuthors).

--John