Subject: [Idr] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-05

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 20:01:13 -0500

Reviewer: Lou Berger
Review Date: 2/9/17
Review requested by: 2/13
Intended Status: Standards track

Summary:
    I have one minor comment about this document that I think should be
resolved before publication.

Comments:

    Draft is short and easy to understand.  I see the need for one minor
clarification that can be resolved based on implementation experience.

Major Issues:

    No major issues found.

Minor Issues:
    In reading the document it's unclear if Shutdown Communication field
must include a trailing zero or not.  (I authored something similar once
and had an interop problem where one implementation assumed null
termination was required and included in length, while the other didn't.
Our intent was no null required, but the spec wasn't explicit.)   Either
are fine, and given there are implementations you might just want to
have the spec match the implementation.

Nits:
  
https://tools.ietf.org/idnits?url=https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-05.txt
reports nits that should be fixed.

That's it!
Cheers,
Lou

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 20:38:50 -0500

Dear Lou,

Thank you for your review.

We will add a clarification that NUL termination is not expected.

The question actually came up during one of the implementations so you are right that there is value in being specific.

Kind regards,

Job

On 9 Feb 2017, 20:01 -0500, Lou Berger <[email-masked]>, wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 17:02:26 +0100

Dear Lou,

draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-06 was published just now to address your
comments. 

> have the spec match the implementation.

The following clarification has been added to the Shutdown Communication
field: "This field is not NUL terminated." 

https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-06.txt 

> reports nits that should be fixed.

The abstract and Copyright Notice have been updated to fix the nits.

Kind regards,

Job

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 20:20:30 -0500

Thank you!
Lou