Subject: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-23.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 15:51:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Extended Message support for BGP
        Authors         : Randy Bush
                          Keyur Patel
                          Dave Ward
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-23.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2017-10-28

Abstract:
   The BGP specification mandates a maximum BGP message size of 4096
   octets.  As BGP is extended to support newer AFI/SAFIs and other
   features, there is a need to extend the maximum message size beyond
   4096 octets.  This document updates the BGP specification RFC4271 by
   providing an extension to BGP to extend its current maximum message
   size from 4096 octets to 65535 octets for all except the OPEN
   message.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-23
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-23

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-23

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 03:48:38 +0000

>    size from 4096 octets to 65535 octets for all except the OPEN

there are at least two implementations

this version adds the following to sec cons (thanks jgs)

   Due to increased (over [RFC4272]) memory requirements for buffering,
   there may be increased exposure to resource exhaustion, intentional
   or unintentional.

i think it is ready for wglc

randy