Subject: [Idr] bgp-prefix-sid - Manageability section issue

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 12:22:39 -0400

Acee:

The management section does not specify on the SR-Domain is identified in a
bgp peer.  

You indicate in section 8 that: 

   o  Prevent any undesired propagation of the BGP Prefix-SID attribute.

      By default the BGP Prefix-SID is not advertised outside the

      boundary of an AS.  The propagation to other ASs MUST be

      explicitly configured.

How is this defined?  

The draft-ietf-spring-sr-yang-08 describes an SPRING yang model and it 

does not have such an SR-Domain identifier. 

Since you state:

   The deployment model described in
   [I-D.ietf-spring-segment-routing-msdc
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-prefix-sid-06#ref-I-D.ietf-s
pring-segment-routing-msdc> ] assumes multiple Autonomous
   Systems (AS) under a common administration.  The BGP Prefix-SID
   advertisement is therefore applicable to inter-AS context while it is
   confined within a single SR Domain

It is important that the management of the multiple ASes 

within this common administration have a way to query a router on whether it
is 

within the same SR Domain. 

Perhaps you could just suggest that the SR Domain ID should be defined

in the draft-ietf-spring-sr-yang-08 as a router function. 

Alternatively, it could be also be listed in an SR-BGP augmentation 

to base BGP yang module. 

Cheerily, Sue

---

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 18:14:57 +0000

Hi Sue,

I will add this text to the introduction:

      The SR domain is defined as the single administrative domain for
      global SID assignment. It may be comprised of a single AS or multiple
      ASes under consolidated global SID administration

We’ll discuss the SR YANG model in the Spring WG. However, generally an administrator knows what ASes are under their administrative domain and another identifier would not be necessary.

Thanks,
Acee

From: Idr <[email-masked]> on behalf of Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 12:23 PM
To: IDR List <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Idr] bgp-prefix-sid - Manageability section issue

Acee:

The management section does not specify on the SR-Domain is identified in a bgp peer.
You indicate in section 8 that:

How is this defined?

Since you state:

   [I-D.ietf-spring-segment-routing-msdc<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-prefix-sid-06#ref-I-D.ietf-spring-segment-routing-msdc>] assumes multiple Autonomous

It is important that the management of the multiple ASes
within this common administration have a way to query a router on whether it is
within the same SR Domain.

Cheerily, Sue

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 15:19:00 -0400

Acee:

Thank you for adding the text. 

Automation that implements the SR Domain will need the SR identifier to determine  the correctly policy to download or check.  Without it, you cannot provide the manageability of the filters you suggest via a standard.   A person knowing the information does not help the automation.  

I’ll send the suggestion to the authors of the SR Yang MIB and the Spring list.  

Sue 

From: Acee Lindem (acee) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:15 PM
To: Susan Hares; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Idr] bgp-prefix-sid - Manageability section issue

Hi Sue, 

Thanks,

Acee

Acee:

      explicitly configured.

How is this defined?  

Since you state:

   [I-D.ietf-spring-segment-routing-msdc <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-prefix-sid-06#ref-I-D.ietf-spring-segment-routing-msdc> ] assumes multiple Autonomous

to base BGP yang module. 

Cheerily, Sue