Subject: Java IDMEF package

From: "McCubbin, Christopher B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:47:39 -0400

Hello everyone,

This is Chris McCubbin, a researcher at The Applied Physics Lab. We are
researching a project where we needed a common IDS exchange format and IDMEF
seems like a good way to go.

We had a need for a Java implementation of the IDMEF message classes. Since
none existed that we knew of, we have implemented a Java package that can
convert between IDMEF XML strings (or DOM documents) and Java
representations of the IDMEF classes.  

Right now, the package is pretty much finished. I still want to do a little
more testing on it, and we need to run licensing (probably a BSD-like
license) by our legal department. Look for an announcement about where to
get it in the next couple of weeks.

We'd like to hear from anyone interested in using (i.e. beta-testing :) the
package, and any ideas for improvements. We're also probably going to be
developing some IDMEF plugins for some IDS tools in the near future, which
we will probably also be able to release to the group.

Cheers,
Chris

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Chris McCubbin  | [email-masked]  (443)-778-xxxx     |
| CS, Math & Crypt|     "You can't bounce the bounce                    |
| UMBC Alumni     |      if you can't pronounce the bounce!"            |
| JHU APL STI     |                        -Tigger                      |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------