Subject: [[email-masked]: ORDER #13898 - IMPORTANT INFORMATION]

From: Mike Erlinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:03:34 -0700

who wanted it?

-- 
Mike Erlinger, Professor and Chair Computer Science
www:      http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~mike
email:    [email-masked]
smail:    Computer Science Dept., Harvey Mudd College,
          301 E. 12th Street, Claremont, CA, 91711 
          909-621-8912,   FAX: 909-607-8364

Subject: ORDER #13898 - IMPORTANT INFORMATION
From: Comodo Security Services <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:40:01 +0100

Your InstantSSL Certificate for bossman.cs.hmc.edu is attached!

Dear [email-masked],

Thank you again for selecting Comodo as your Certification Authority. We have now
successfully completed the necessary background checks and are pleased to
announce that your InstantSSL Certificate for bossman.cs.hmc.edu has been issued.

Installation Instructions:
You will find a number of certificates attached to this email. It is essential
that all certificates be installed on your webserver software. For more
installation instructions please refer to www.instantssl.com/support:
  1. Install GlobalSignRootCA.crt, GlobalSignPartnersCA.crt and
    ComodoClass3SecurityServicesCA.crt.
  2. The fourth certificate attached to this email is your
    InstantSSL Certificate for bossman.cs.hmc.edu.
    Install this certificate on your webserver. If you require instructions on
    how to install your certificate, please use the online support resources
    available at www.instantssl.com/support.

When you have implemented your SSL Certificate, be sure to display the
secure site seal. Promoting your secure site is the ideal way to help
customers feel safe and confident in using your secure online services.

Get your secure site seal now: http://www.instantssl.com/support/siteseal

Should you have any questions or issues you would like to discuss, please do not
hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Comodo Security Services

Support Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.comodo.net/support
Telephone: +44 1274 730505
Fax: +44 1274 730909
Postal Address: PO Box 229, Bradford BD7 1XN, UK

---

From: Tom Perrine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:41:43 -0700

Of course, now all the certificates are worthless.....

-- 
Tom E. Perrine <[email-masked]> | San Diego Supercomputer Center 
http://www.sdsc.edu/~tep/     |

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:49:01 -0400 (EDT)

> Of course, now all the certificates are worthless.....

Hardly. You've just become one of the many on this list to obtain early
access to them. The private key is (presumably) still secure on
bossman.cs.hmc.edu, and the certificates that were attached to the
original message are all public. Not really all that much different than
if you had connected to https://bossman.cs.hmc.edu/ after the
certificate(s) had been installed (this assumes that the cert is intended
for HTTP over SSL/TLS).

If the certificates were private/sensitive data, do you think that the CA
would mail them in plaintext? :)

-jeff

-- 
Jeff Godin
Network Specialist
Traverse Area District Library / Traverse Community Network
[email-masked]