Subject: [Ieprep] Public Safety?

From: "Gunn, Janet NE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:31:01 -0500

This (emergency service call center) sounds to me more like "public safety"
rather than "emergency preparedness".  I know this is considered
out-of-scope for GETS, but it is not clear to me whether it is in scope for
IEPREP. 
 
My comments on public safety are purely as an interested layperson, it is
not an area of expertise, so I may be talking out of the top of my hat.
 
If it is in scope, the one feature that I am sure a 911 call center would
want is a location function for IP phones that is similar to the one that
currently exists in the US for land-line phones, and is mandated (again, in
the US) for mobile phones in 2002.  I don't know if this is even plausible
in the Internet. (Does Mobile IP address physical location, or only
topological/network location?  Would topological/network location be useful
to a 911 call center?)
 
If public safety is in scope, land mobile radio interoperability (again,
specifically out of scope for GETS) is an important requirement.  During the
recovery efforts after 9/11, the the lack of interoperability between the
land mobile radio networks used by the various groups (Police, Fire, Rescue,
etc) from different jurisdictions was a major problem.  It seems plausible
that, if each of these systems had an interface to the Internet, the
Internet could provide the interoperability between the systems.

 -----Original Message-----
From: Alistair Munro [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 12:56 PM
To: Gunn, Janet NE
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Preemption/charter

Incidentally are you aware of any requirements on IP-based functions that
may be operated *inside* a PSTN-based emergency service, e.g. as a
call-centre? This does seem to be in the scope to me, but I'm happy to be
advised otherwise.

---

From: "Stuart (Stu) Goldman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:46:22 -0700

Janet,

Yes, I think you are talking about the public access to place "public"
emergency calls, rather than the preference given to emergency
responders.

Location information is indeed a problem for IP based phones.  The
problem is just compounded if one can unplug the CPE from one location
and plug it in in a different location. This makes office moves a bit
less painful for the company, but is not so good for having information
that can direct the ambulance to the right location.

Laptops are obvious a problem, and with a wireless LAN card, it becomes
yet more difficult. (As a good engineer I never ever say that something
is insolvable.)

"Gunn, Janet NE" wrote:

>  This (emergency service call center) sounds to me more like "public
> safety" rather than "emergency preparedness".  I know this is
> considered out-of-scope for GETS, but it is not clear to me whether it
> is in scope for IEPREP. My comments on public safety are purely as an
> interested layperson, it is not an area of expertise, so I may be
> talking out of the top of my hat.If it is in scope, the one feature
> that I am sure a 911 call center would want is a location function for
> IP phones that is similar to the one that currently exists in the US
> for land-line phones, and is mandated (again, in the US) for mobile
> phones in 2002.  I don't know if this is even plausible in the
> Internet. (Does Mobile IP address physical location, or only
> topological/network location?  Would topological/network location be
> useful to a 911 call center?)If public safety is in scope, land mobile
> radio interoperability (again, specifically out of scope for GETS) is
> an important requirement.  During the recovery efforts after 9/11, the
> the lack of interoperability between the land mobile radio networks
> used by the various groups (Police, Fire, Rescue, etc) from different
> jurisdictions was a major problem.  It seems plausible that, if each
> of these systems had an interface to the Internet, the Internet could
> provide the interoperability between the systems.-----Original
> Message-----
>      Incidentally are you aware of any requirements on IP-based
>      functions that may be operated *inside* a PSTN-based
>      emergency service, e.g. as a call-centre? This does seem to
>      be in the scope to me, but I'm happy to be advised
>      otherwise.
>