Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Public Safety?

From: "Gunn, Janet NE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:27:33 -0500

Ken,
As I understand it, the issue following 9/11 was when groups from other
jurisdictions arrived to help.  For instance, at the Pentagon, the local MD,
DC and VA groups had interoperable land mobile radio.  But when groups from
southern Virginia and "out of state" arrived to help, interoperability
became an issue.  

My information is at second or third hand, so I may be mistaken.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Diliberto [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 10:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Public Safety?

The infrastructure already exists for public safety officers to communicate
with their command centers.  How about between agencies?  A dispatcher could
us IM for messaging between agencies.  They already do something like this
between mobile units.

Ken

>>> "Gunn, Janet NE" <[email-masked]> 03/29/02 10:02AM >>>
Yes, IM would be easier to set up.  And it would work for someone at a desk,
or in a stationary vehicle, or a passenger in a moving vehicle.  But I don't
think it would work well for the police officer driving down the road, or a
fireman in a darkened building. Voice (radio) works better in those cases.

I am not actively promoting this as an approach, just brainstorming the
known problems that MIGHT be addressed by Internet functionality.

[snip]

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Marshall Eubanks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:43:52 -0500

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:27:33 -0500
> southern Virginia and "out of state" arrived to help,

Fairfax County (where I live) has specialized emergency
teams that go all over the world for disaster relief. 
My understanding is
that interoperability is almost always an issue, even
in the US. I could go and ask them directly if this would 
be useful.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks