Subject: [Ieprep] Fwd: 53rd IETF - Bridge MIB WG (bridge MIB) cancelled

From: Scott Keagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:38:48 -0800

Fred,

I'm in process on other issues related to emergency services, but this is 
one that I just noticed and it is important that someone speaks up for it 
(bridge MIB) at the IETF mtg (which I will miss while tending my newborn baby).

Right now, Cisco ER can query only Cisco switches because of 
inconsistencies in the bridge MIB between different vendors. Whenever VLANs 
are present, there is no consistent way to present info via SNMP about 
which mac addresses appear on which switchport. This is a solution that 
desperately needs to be resolved as a starting point of locating callers in 
an ethernet campus environment. Otherwise, any application developer needs 
to write separate code to query every vendor's ethernet switches.

With no changes here, all standard location schemes will have to be based 
on IP address, which will only provide location granularity to the size 
covered by an IP subnet (which may easily span buildings - and technically 
cities or continents- in the presence of VLANs).

Hope this helps as an immediate action for ieprep.

Regards,
Scott

>To: IETF-Announce:;
>From: [email-masked]
>Subject: 53rd IETF - Bridge MIB WG (brigde) cancelled
>Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 11:27:27 -0500
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>
>Bridge MIB WG (bridge) scheduled on Thursday, March 21 at 0900-1130
>has been CANCELLED.

Regards,

Scott Keagy, CCIE# 3985
Product Manager, Enterprise Voice and Video Business Unit
Cisco Systems, Inc.
tel:+1-408--853-0170
mailto:[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 00:06:32 -0800

At 04:38 PM 3/7/2002, Scott Keagy wrote:
>inconsistencies in the bridge MIB between different vendors. Whenever 
>VLANs are present, there is no consistent way to present info via SNMP 
>about which mac addresses appear on which switchport. This is a solution 
>that desperately needs to be resolved as a starting point of locating 
>callers in an ethernet campus environment. Otherwise, any application 
>developer needs to write separate code to query every vendor's ethernet 
>switches.

I could have sworn that there was some work in bridgemib to resolve that; 
in any event, that's a function for the bridgemib working group. It is 
their job to make management be consistent for LANs and VLANs.

I'm not sure what ieprep can really do in that area beyond note that it is 
an issue. What are you looking for?

---

From: Scott Keagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:18:31 -0800

I'd just like to see this feature requirement (bridgemib) documented by 
ieprep to affect the prioritization of initiatives by the bridgemib working 
group.... To your point that there was some work to resolve the problem, I 
just found the following: http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc2674.txt

I'm checking with our developers now to see if this meets our needs (seems 
to me like it does).

Regards,
Scott

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:23:57 -0800

>I'm checking with our developers now to see if this meets our needs (seems 

if it does, then we can release the concern, correct?