Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Comments on draft-carlberg-ieprep-framework

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:09:22 -0800

At 12:28 PM 3/14/2002, Bob Bell wrote:
>serialization should help limit the bursts of traffic you are describing

somewhat: it spreads them out. 20 T-1s on a single Ethernet implies that it 
is a 100 MBPS or 1 GHz Ethernet; it presents ~15 MBPS of traffic in each 
direction. But my point is that it presents it very rapidly - not 
necessarily simultaneously, but in very short order. depending on the 
characteristics of the data stream and what it is competing with, it can 
have pretty much the behavior I described.

>By the way, usually the term "Trunk" in a telephony sense is used to 
>indicate a single DS0 or equivalent

Thanks for that info. That changes the ratios in amplitude; I think the 
general point stands.

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:13:23 -0800

At 01:09 PM 3/14/2002, Fred Baker wrote:
>20 T-1s on a single Ethernet implies that it is a 100 MBPS or 1 GHz 
>Ethernet; it presents ~15 MBPS of traffic in each direction.

duh; get the math right, fred. 20*1.536 = ~30 MBPS in each direction...