Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Preemption/charter

From: "Gunn, Janet NE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:13:52 -0500

I would have thought it fell under
"detail the specific functions and technologies needed to provide support
for Emergency Preparedness systems in the Internet. "
since Emergency Preparedness Systems (e.g., the GETS WPS, as well as some
military emergency systems) are, or will be, or may be, using MLPP and
eMLPP- like functionality.
 
But if it is out of scope, I'll be glad to drop it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alistair Munro [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 11:45 AM
To: Gunn, Janet NE
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Preemption

I'm not sure if this thread is in scope - it's very useful but I can't match
it to the charter.

---

From: Alistair Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:55:56 +0000

Hi Janet,

You describe some very relevant issues that we must take account of at
the point where the Internet "ends" and the PSTN "begins". But I don't
know what we can do about things inside the PSTN (includes GSM, ISDN and
all that) networks - it would be very optimistic to try to overhaul what
is (IMHO) worst practice - nobody's fault, just legacy systems. I hope
we can have some impact nevertheless - it would be great if I could dial
911 from my US-homed WLAN PDA in London and the emergency services in
London would respond. Try it with your GSM phone sometime... The same
MLPP rules may be accepted but parameters supplied by my PDA won't make
sense outside its home network from a PSTN viewpoint - from what I heard
in the SIPPING group, it would not be impossible in the IP domain.

Incidentally are you aware of any requirements on IP-based functions
that may be operated *inside* a PSTN-based emergency service, e.g. as a
call-centre? This does seem to be in the scope to me, but I'm happy to
be advised otherwise.

> I would have thought it fell under"detail the specific functions and
> technologies needed to provide support for Emergency Preparedness
> systems in the Internet. "since Emergency Preparedness Systems (e.g.,
> the GETS WPS, as well as some military emergency systems) are, or will
> be, or may be, using MLPP and eMLPP- like functionality.But if it is
> out of scope, I'll be glad to drop it.
>
>      I'm not sure if this thread is in scope - it's very useful
>      but I can't match it to the charter.
>

Regards,

Alistair