Subject: [Ieprep] IPsec vs TLS for SIP message protection

From: Ian Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:46:59 +0100

I had some feedback from Eric Rescorla that he considers IPSec much more
suitable for use in protecting SIP messages in a resource-constrained
environment than TLS due to its better Denial of Service protection.
However, not all SIP devices will support IPSec (but should support TLS).

What do people think about specifying that IPSec should be used where
available in preference to TLS?

Thanks,

Ian.

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:49:59 -0400

Is this true even for existing signaling "trunks", i.e., established TLS 
connections that are re-used for many SIP sessions? Given the practical 
problems of deploying IPsec between parties that haven't "met", I'm a 
bit concerned about this step. There is a good reason why most people 
are implementing TLS.