Subject: RE: [Ieprep] draft-ietf-ieprep-requirements-00.txt

From: Scott Keagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:09:25 -0700

Specifically consider the possibility that Internet choke points could be 
the target of unfriendly activities, which was not the case in other 
disasters previously mentioned where the net performed well. How much 
damage would result from the removal of 5-10 well chosen NAPs? Seems that 
the economic impact of this would be an attractive target. Also consider 
all CO's being targeted in a given metro area, so physical facilities are 
gone for a large region. This would take out landlines and wireless 
networks that connect through the COs.

Not really in scope for ieprep but should be thought about somewhere... 
mobile ad-hoc networks? Long term, this is an aspect of internet emergency 
preparedness.

-Scott

At 04:52 PM 6/28/2002 -0400, Gunn, Janet NE wrote:
>While we have (luckily) not yet experienced it, it is quite possible to
>imagine an emergency that causes a significant reduction in backbone
>capacity.  We should be prepared to address that.  But I agree that
>congestion/ lack of adequate provisioning at the "edges" is a more probable
>case.
>
>Janet
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: RJ Atkinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 4:39 PM
>To: ieprep
>Subject: [Ieprep] draft-ietf-ieprep-requirements-00.txt
>
>
>...
>
>[2] Experience to date is that the Internet has not suffered from extreme
>traffic loads (i.e. more than the Internet can handle) even in the
>presence
>of earthquakes (e.g. LA, Loma Prieta) or terrorism (e.g. on Sept 11th).
>In fact, during such situations the "best effort" Internet has continued
>to work quite well, thanks to a robust Internet Architecture.  This fact
>is also not reflected in the above draft -- and seems like a bug.
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Ieprep mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep
>
>_______________________________________________
>Ieprep mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:20:05 -0400

On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 05:09 , Scott Keagy wrote:
>  How much damage would result from the removal of 5-10 well chosen NAPs?

QoS in the core still would not be relevant.  That's an argument for
QoS at the edge, which I specifically noted might be useful in *some*
situations.

Ran
[email-masked]