Subject: Re: [Ieprep] IPsec vs TLS for SIP message protection

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:50:50 -0400 (EDT)

AD hat on

this thread has been interesting but out of scope for this working group.

this group is supposed to be developing requirements not debating solutions
- focusing on solutions at this point is out of scope but also limiting in
that understanding what a suggested solution can offer tends to redefine
the requirement to meet the solution

if IEPREP decides that all packets need to be painted to match the new
national emergency alert color scheme  then say so (but you better provide
strong reasons :-) ) - do not debate how SIP, or anything else, might do
the job.  

so don't leap to protocols, because doing so has tends to  obscure
important requirements that are actually needed.  OK, you want more 
resistance to DoS attack than might be characterized by a TLS-style 
channel security, say what you  *need*.  But leaping to the IPsec story 
might dictate an approach to authentication that might not be necessary 
or sufficient to emergency services call authentication and  authorization - 
who has written down the characteristics of  those specific requirements?  
The present debate has been too generic.

Scott

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep