Subject: RE: [Ieprep] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ieprep-packet-marking-policy -00.txt

From: "Gunn, Janet NE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:55:09 -0400

I am slightly confused.  Are you proposing a mapping between "user class"
and "traffic class"?

And if you have a session between users of different user classes, is the
class for the traffic based on the class of the sender?  The class of the
receiver? The "max" of the sender and receiver? The "min"? Or is that a case
by case policy, based on each user's SLA?  Does a particular user always
have the same class?  
(For instance, under GETS, the same authorized user can choose whether to
make a GETS call or a non-GETS call.  This SHOULD be based on two criteria- 
Am I experiencing congestion?
Is this an emergency related call?

If you make ALL CALLS from an "authenticate ETS user" have a particular
(privileged in some way) class, this is an inherently different approach.)

None of this was explicitly clear to me in reading the document, and I
confess I had difficulty figuring out what it had to do with emergency
services.  After reading the email exchanges it is clearer, but that needs
to be clarified in the document.

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Baker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 11:15 AM
To: senthil ayyasamy
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-ieprep-packet-marking-policy-00.txt

At 02:37 AM 6/26/2002 -0700, senthil ayyasamy wrote:
>DSCP used from X-->Y
>and Y-->X can be different.

they certainly can, and right now usually are. But service providers 
deploying diffserv tell me that this is not necessarily the service they 
want to offer. They want to be able to offer varying grades of service to 
users paying varying amounts of money.

>    I misunderstood that the whole work is *ONLY* to
>maintain same DSCP on both directions.

yes, and also to say what that DSCP is based on some concept of user class. 
If, for example, I have a user class which is "authenticated ETS user" and 
another user class which is "random person", the traffic in the first class 
might go as AF11 and the second as AF12 (same queue, slightly more prone to 
loss).

not that this would be important in a group such as this :^)

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: senthil ayyasamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:26:58 -0700 (PDT)

This is my understanding from the draft:
*The whole purpose of Reflexive DSCP policy is to
suggest ways for accomodating bi-directional flows in
a diffserv domain ( which is uni-directional).
Bi-directional communication is very necessary for
emergency services.*
  
> not that this would be important in a group such as

=====
Ayyasamy Senthilkumar
M.S.(Computer Networking)
UMKC,MO.
-----------------------------
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
--Niels Bohr.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Sign up for SBC Yahoo! Dial - First Month Free
http://sbc.yahoo.com