Subject: Re: [Ieprep] policy & labels

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:07:45 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2002 10:51:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> On Friday, Oct 11, 2002, at 10:31 America/Montreal, [email-masked] wrote:
> > Can someone point me to a definition of the word "label" when used in 
> this context?
> 
> Any kind of label at any protocol layer, not limited in scope to telephony
> applications or any particular telephony related protocol (e.g. SIP).
> 
> Any telephony-specific requirements (e.g. SIP labels) would be **out of 
> scope**
> for the general requirements document and would only be present in a
> 

[MAP] I take the above to mean that you can't point me to an existing 
definition of "label" (like in an RFC).

> 
> > We are still talking about SIP (I hope), but I do not find the word 
> > defined or used in RFC3261.
> 
> I do NOT think we are talking only about SIP or specifically about SIP,
> so I think the above sentence is an example of the confusion I was 
> 

[MAP] We are discussing a requirement in the draft titled "Requirements for 
Resource Priority Mechanisms for the Session Initiation Protocol".

> 
> I think the requirements document is talking about any kind of label
> (e.g. DiffServ codepoint, SIP label, whatever other labels that might
> 

[MAP] Also, the requirement we are discussing is in a list of requirements 
that is preceeded by the statement:

"calls are marked in various ways to indicate priorities. Below are some 
requirements for such mechanisms."

i.e., this discussion is not about marking packets. That will be an 
interesting discussion for another day. This discussion is about marking call 
setup (in the INVITE) and nothing more.

You use the term "SIP label" as if I should know what that means. As I noted, 
the word is not used in RFC 3261. RFC 3261 defines terms for "Header", 
"Header Field", and "Header Field Value". The end result we're trying to get 
to is the definition of a new header for Resource-priority. So why don't we 
use those defined SIP terms for the remainder of this discussion. That would 
reduce confusion.

> Ran

Mike Pierce
Artel