Subject: [Ieprep] IEPREP SIP REQ-3

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:40:33 -0400

"REQ-3: Invisible to IP network: It should be possible to use
the
             mechanism in IP networks that are unaware of the mechanism
             and in restricted networks. Obviously, such networks will
             not be able to provide enhanced services."

Assuming that "mechanism" means "mechanism for marking", this is a VERY
important requirement.  The failure to meet this requirement (in spite of
standards) in some parts of the circuit switched network has caused
significant problems. 
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:55:50 -0400

Given the discussion on "mechanism" and "policy", we have a bit of a 
word overload problem. I'll try to more clearly highlight where 
mechanism refers to a "SIP protocol mechanism" or "SIP enhancement". If 
somebody has a less ugly and cumbersome term, let me know.