Subject: Re: [Ieprep] policy & labels

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:31:06 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2002 8:48:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I'm concerned that some folks are reading "label" and inferring
> "SIP or other telephony application label".  I read "label" and
> understand that this might be a telephony application label
> or a DiffServ code point or some other non-telephony label
> or some other non-application-layer label.
> 
> This difference in reading seems to be causing (some) folks to talk past
> each other in a way that does not help the group to converge to 
> consensus.
> 

[MAP] Yes, it's obvious that different folks have a different understanding 
of what "label" and "policy" (and "indication") mean. That is why I 
questioned the requirement that says "REQ-7: Separation of indication and 
policy: The indication should not describe a particular detailed treatment, 
as it is likely that this depends on the nature of the resource and local 
policy."

Can someone point me to a definition of the word "label" when used in this 
context? We are still talking about SIP (I hope), but I do not find the word 
defined or used in RFC3261.

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:49:13 -0400

On Friday, Oct 11, 2002, at 10:31 America/Montreal, [email-masked] 
wrote:
> Can someone point me to a definition of the word "label" when used in 
> this context?

Any kind of label at any protocol layer, not limited in scope to 
telephony
applications or any particular telephony related protocol (e.g. SIP).

Any telephony-specific requirements (e.g. SIP labels) would be **out of 
scope**
for the general requirements document and would only be present in a
telephony-specific requirements document.

> We are still talking about SIP (I hope), but I do not find the word 

I do NOT think we are talking only about SIP or specifically about SIP,
so I think the above sentence is an example of the confusion I was 
referring to.

I think the requirements document is talking about any kind of label
(e.g. DiffServ codepoint, SIP label, whatever other labels that might
exist at any protocol layer).

Ran

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 02:21:24 -0400

> this context? We are still talking about SIP (I hope), but I do not find 
> the word defined or used in RFC3261.

[Explanation to draft-ietf-ieprep-sip-rp-requirements]

There is no definition of label in SIP. This is meant as a generic term 
that is syntactically a token, logically (speaking C) an 'enum'. SIP, 
like most protocols, contains a number of such elements, basically 
wherever a parameter can assume one of a finite number of pre-defined 
values. These are all the various namespaces registered with IANA (see 
their web page listing under sip-parameters).

Henning