Subject: RE: [Ieprep] requirements document(s) to SIPPING

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:51:02 -0400

> 
> Indeed. I thought I had addressed this issue in an earlier message 
> (short summary: sometimes, depending on what a proxy does with 
> requests), after which somebody mentioned that prioritizing 
> would be too 
> difficult.

Somebody mentioned that this added complexity especially over possibly
different security domains and that the utility of such a feature had
already been questioned by the SIPPING working group.  

That somebody did not say that writing a scheduling algorithm to process
priority vs. something else was difficult.  (It seems that somebody took an
OS class when getting a bachelors degree in computer science and doesn't
consider those types of algorithms challenging.)
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:39:53 -0400

> different security domains 

Not sure what you mean here.

 > and that the utility of such a feature had

At the danger of repeating myself: One person questioned it. I don't 
think we (that person and I) disagree, we're just thinking of different 
kinds of servers. In some kinds of servers (namely, those where most of 
the work for a request is just getting the request off the wire), it 
makes very little sense, in others, it does.

> consider those types of algorithms challenging.)

I'm assuming that whoever writes servers took an OS class. If not, our 
university will gladly offer such courses for a small fee via distance 
learning :-)