Subject: RE: [Ieprep] IEPREP requirements for accounting

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:45:03 -0400

Perhaps an other way to put it is that such a requirement MAY be part of the
requirements for a PARTICULAR contracted service, but should not be part of
the IEPREP requirements- especially not the IEPREP requirements to SIP.

HOWEVER, we should be sure that nothing in the general IEPREP requirements
precludes, or makes more difficult, such accounting. 

I don't know that "the whole subject" is for "not enough capacity".  But it
is certainly most relevant and important when there is not enough capacity.
When there is ample capacity, there is generally no need for preferential
treatment.  But the "not enough capacity" need not be in the IP network, it
could be in whatever the IP network interfaces with.

-----Original Message-----
From: RJ Atkinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 5:12 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] IEPREP requirements for accounting

On Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002, at 08:59 America/Montreal, [email-masked] 
wrote:
> Besides, the whole subject here in IEPREP is for the case in which 
> there is not enough capacity.

This is not my understanding from either the current drafts or from the 
WG Charter.
Perhaps Scott could clarify this further with respect to the WG Charter 
?

With  respect to drafts, if the above is the authors' intent then such 
needs
to be made MUCH MUCH more clear.

> I am proposing that Accounting is a requirement for a very large 
> service provider/network operator (US Defense Department). It is not 
> proper to say that it is not a legitimate requirement to place on such 
> a service provider. It is the service provider itself that demands 
> this capability. My comment is that the IETF must take this 
> functionality into account in the development of any protocol, not 
> that every service provider must support it.

It MUST NOT be a requirement levied on other carriers (e.g. commercial 
firms
that choose to offer an IEprep service on a contractual basis).

If DoD does require this (and your lack of identification of affiliation
begs the question of whether you speak officially on the record for the
entire DoD), then I believe what you want is more like these words
(no doubt some editing required since I'm writing in haste).

	The IEprep Architecture should not preclude an operator from
performing
	accounting if that operator chooses to do so, though there is no
	IEprep requirement that an operator deploy an ability to perform
	accounting or actually perform such accounting.

 From conversations with DoD employees close to the DISN, which people 
actually are
the operators of the DISA IP networks, I do not hear that they have any 
such requirement.
 From conversations with USAF/USN/USA employees close to their 
service-specific
networks, I also do not hear that they have any such requirement.

If DISA/NCS has such a US-specific requirement, it needs to be resolved
contractually (by paying money and finding agreeable commercial vendors)
rather than by slipping an unfunded mandate into a global IETF standard.

> For the GETS case, which we are attempted to "convert" to the IP 
> environment - if the US government says they need detailed call 
> records, and they contract with the service provider to provide them, 
> and they are willing to pay the additional cost associated with doing 
> it, you can't say that it is not a legitimate requirement. Yes, it is 
> up to the service provider if they want to do business with the 
> government, but the standard needs to define how they must do it to 
> comply.

Not at all.  Such can and must be defined in contract terms without 
necessarily being
part of the *global* standard.  Per-call accounting is NOT a global 
requirement.

Your attempt to insert US-centrism into a global standard is noted and
is also very inappropriate behaviour on an IETF list.

Ran
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep