Subject: RE: [Ieprep] policy & labels

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:07:56 -0400

True, but in order to be useful (both for human and machine comprehension)
there then needs to be a structure to the set of labels, and we need to get
approval to use them that way.  So I still think that identifying the
policies we will want to implement is an important part of figuring out how
we want to structure the labels.

-----Original Message-----
From: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 11:58 AM
To: Gunn, Janet
Cc: 'Ken Carlberg'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] policy & labels

Since in our context, the label supply is infinite, I'm not sure we need 
to worry about this particular issue. There are more labels than IPv6 
addresses, the Internet's definition of infinite :-)

Gunn, Janet wrote:
> OK, I am going to be as simplistic as possible.
> 
> At the root of it, there need to be enough different labels that there is
at
> least a one-to-one mapping (could be many-to-one) from label to policy in
> any given environment. 
> 
> If we want to have N different policies in a given environment, there must
> be at least N different labels. An "environment" could be the whole
> Internet, a particular subnetwork, or even a single router or gateway.
> 
>  This does not prevent a single label being associated with several
> different policies in several different environments, though this should
> generally be discouraged (for human comprehension reasons as much as
> anything), except when the policies are very closely related. 
> 
> So, we need to have figured out in advance how many different policies we
> will want in effect in a given environment.  Then we can figure out what
> parameters are needed to create those labels.
> 
> (I am using "labels" in a broad sense.  If you have two parameters, each
of
> which can have 3 values, I would call that 9 labels.)
> 
> 
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:22:21 -0400

While I'll get slapped with a wet noodle for mentioning solutions, I had 
   proposed a scheme, namely namespace.label, which may satisfy your 
requirements. 'namespace' identifies the name space (such as GETS). This 
allows everybody to have a high, low and medium label. Since there 
doesn't seem to be an existing name space, namespaces and labels would 
be registered with IANA. The number is likely going to be small.