Subject: RE: [Ieprep] IEPREP SIP REQ-1

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:17:45 -0400

I am trying  to go through the requirements in the SIP requirements document
in detail.  I start off with something that needs clarification.

   "Below are some requirements for such a mechanism; security
   requirements are discussed in Section 10.

        REQ-1: Not specific to one mechanism or country: The mechanism
             should not be specific to one country or particular
             priority mechanism.  For example, there are currently at
             least four priority schemes in widespread use: Q.735, with
             five levels, the U.S. defense network and NATO with five
             levels, the United States GETS (Government Emergency
             Telecommunications Systems) scheme with implied higher
             priority and the British Government Telephone Preference
             Scheme (GTPS) system."

This seems to say that "a mechanism must not be specific to a mechanism"
which seems contradictory to me.  Do we mean "a policy must not be specific
to a mechanism"? Or a  "labeling must not be specific to a mechanism"?

It is also not clear what the antecedent for "such a mechanism" is- do we
mean "a mechanism for marking calls to indicate priority"?  Or do we mean "a
mechanism for providing priority service"?

Are Q735, GETS and GTPS supposed to be example of acceptable mechanisms, or
unacceptable ones?  It sounds as if you are saying that, because they (at
least GETS and GTPS) are country specific, they are unacceptable. 

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:12:10 -0400

Since mechanism is used for different things in the document, this can 
get confusing. I will try to switch to "SIP indication" to indicate the 
"new" thing that's the subject of the requirement and I'll call 
"priority scheme" (avoiding mechanism or policy) as the general goal and 
the PSTN mechanism.

I reworded the paragraph accordingly.