Subject: Re: [Ieprep] requirements document(s) (Accounting)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:31:12 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2002 8:21:10 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> On Thursday, Oct 10, 2002, at 22:39 America/Montreal, [email-masked] 
> wrote:
> > When a network provides the capability for a user to place a voice 
> > call and get priority over others, including possible preemption, it 
> > must keep a record of the uses of that priority service. (Whether or 
> > not that record must include duration of the call may be open, but I'd 
> > bet they would want it.)
> >
> > I believe this requirement exists no matter what technology is being 
> > used to transport the communications, whether circuit switched 
> > networks, packet networks, or carrier pigeons.
> 
> Disagree.  Here is a counter-example.
> 

[MAP] Once again, your response and comments focus of "billing". I was not 
talking about "billing". I am talking about the need to keep call records in 
order to detect use of the priority service, and to be able to detect misuse 
(someone using it that is not authorized or someone who is authorized but 
using it incorrectly).

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:57:55 -0400

On Friday, Oct 11, 2002, at 10:31 America/Montreal, [email-masked] 
wrote:
> [MAP] Once again, your response and comments focus of "billing". I was 
> not talking about "billing". I am talking about the need to keep call 
> records in order to detect use of the priority service, and to be able 
> to detect misuse (someone using it that is not authorized or someone 
> who is authorized but using it incorrectly).

	No, the comments were not focused on billing.  Please re-read them
more closely.

	Typically (and specifically in my example), ISPs do *zero* accounting
of how many packets/bytes use the preferred service versus the routine 
service.
Generally speaking, the equipment that ISPs use is not capable of such 
accounting
(e.g. for DiffServ, which was my counter example).  In this example, 
the ISP equipment
only performs a pre-configured policy decision (i.e. customer X is 
permitted to send
packets marked preferred xor customer X is not permitted to send 
packets marked
preferred) that is typically implemented as a kind of packet filter on 
the ingress
interface to the ISP from customer X.  Note that in this model, any 
customer able
to send a packet marked as preferred is capable of sending 100% of 
their traffic
with the preferred marking.  Also note that zero *accounting* is 
occuring.

Regards,

Ran

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep