Subject: Re: [Ieprep] IEPREP SIP REQ other comments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:38:39 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/2002 8:14:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> There are, I believe, four cases:
> 
> (1) want priority, but not yet authorized -> system should challenge 
> user, which leads to case (2)
> 
> (2) priority + credentials (e.g., in SIP, a Digest authorization or an 
> S/MIME-signed body)
> 
> (3) priority + network-asserted identity (NAI): The recipient of the 
> request somehow has reason to believe that the NAI is correct and then 
> check that the identity can request the service.
> 
> (4) priority approved by third party: Here, the recipient has reason to 
> believe that the request has been vetted by a trusted third party.
> 
> I can spell out these different scenarios if people believe this to be 
> helpful. For (2), (3) and (4), there are likely several different 
> solutions in SIP.
> 

[MAP] Good thought! Presuming we are talking strictly about the requirements 
leading to approval of the Resource-Priority Header, then it seems reasonable 
that there are the above 4 cases that need to be signaled. The question 
(later) would be whether an indication of this is an integral part of the 
Resource-Priority Header, or it is more general, i.e., does it also apply to 
other things in the SIP message (besides maybe NAI).

Mike Pierce
Artel