Subject: RE: Try it, you might like it RE: [Ieprep] any commercial usage f or "emergency QoS"?

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:23:14 -0500

You see ... the nature of the NCS mission is to be able to use it in times
of emergency or network congestion, not during "Normal" time. That is why I
am interested in how it performs during "Non-normal" time. 

Speaking of VoiceIP deployment, you can ask DISA folks in Eagle Building to
see how happy they are. Ran might have some knowledge of it.

An

P.S. Ran, I did not mean to put you on a spot.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Donelan
To: Nguyen, An
Cc: 'Bill Woodcock '; 'RJ Atkinson '; [email-masked] '
Sent: 11/27/02 5:27 PM
Subject: Try it, you might like it RE: [Ieprep] any commercial usage for
"emergency QoS"?

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Nguyen, An wrote:
> It would be nice if you could show us that given the traffic
utilization
> factor of , say, from .1 to 0.5, your voiceIP can still be good or
something
> to that extent.

I have an idea, why not buy an IP Phone and try it yourself?

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 17:52:54 -0500

> see how happy they are. Ran might have some knowledge of it.

Where "Eagle" == "Skyline", one word:
	Unhappy

More words:
	Initial deployment was widely characterised to me as "unusably bad".
After some tiger team work by the equipment vendor (not Extreme) for 
that
site, the deployment is now viewed as "mostly usable".  But a lot of the
folks over there still say they wish they had a plain old PBX.  The 
quote
I heard most (from N people over there) was:

	The beauty of our VoIP deployment is that when the IP network is down,
	one cannot call the IT folks to open a trouble ticket on the network.

> P.S. Ran, I did not mean to put you on a spot.

No problem.

Now I will note that folks using Bill's VoIP are addressing a different 
problem.

Bill's system is intended to enhance ability of NOC staff to talk with 
other
NOC/vendor staff to keep the IP networks up when the PSTN has already 
failed
and the Internet is still partly/mostly working (e.g. Kobe, Northridge, 
9/11/01
in Lower Manhatten scenarios).

The DISA Skyline deployment was intended to reduce deployment costs of 
a PSTN-like
service in an office building (and in fact connects to the PSTN inside 
the building).
The users expected it to provide PBX-like quality and service -- and 
say that their
current VoIP deployment still does not achieve that level of service in 
normal
circumstances.

Ran