Subject: RE: FW: [Re: [Ieprep] ieprep-requirements-01 - reqs 6-10 - discus sion request]

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:19:46 -0600

>     > When the 9/11 happened last year, the internet traffic was fine in general
>     > according to you and others. Do you have any rough  number on how much of it
>     > was time-sensitive ( e.g., voiceIP, video, etc.)  traffic? I guess the
>     > percentage of time-sensitive must have been very little  compared to
>     > time-insensitive data traffic such as web, email, and others.
> 
> Correct.  Most traffic across many measurement points is 
> peer-to-peer file
> sharing.  

  But, you can see change in trend in coming years. Many Universities 
have sent warning to students for copy-right infringement. But, it is 
difficult to identify inbound ports which host peer servers. But, various 
kind of resource management/accountability techniques (making students 
accountable and micro-payments etc..) will help mitigate this situation. 

>     > My thinking is when people surf the web or send an email, they
>     > don't care much if there are congestions in the networks because
>     > they commonly accept it as the way the internet works.
> 
> Actually, I'd say that they don't care because it's not appreciable to
> them.  People don't generally pay too much attention to a tenth of a
> second here or there.

  I have a question. Big corporations have long been prioritizing 
their ERP/business related traffic. So, why can't the same techniques be
used for giving preference to emergency traffic too?

> 
>     > But when it comes to voice traffic, it is a totally  different matter.
> 
> How so?  Please elaborate.  I'd say that people don't care about
> congestion on the Internet when using VoIP because, like when 
> using TCP,
> it's unnoticable to humans without measurement tools.

  Its a general requirement from the IETF that new protocols be congestion
aware ( RFC 2914.) With the advent of online games like quake, it is very
important to make them congestion-aware. So, either use TCP, or SCTP/DCCP
or UDP with your own congestion-aware schemes(but IETF should accept that 
scheme.)
 
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Sean Donelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:33:12 -0500 (EST)

> used for giving preference to emergency traffic too?

Enterprises pre-define their business related traffic and statically
configure their network. Enterprises are less concerned about
discriminating against non-favored traffic on their internal networks
because everything is "owned" by a single organization.  A bank might
favor financial transaction traffic on its enterprise network, but a
hospital might favor patient medical traffic on its enterprise network.
If we don't care about making things worse for non-favored traffic and
know which traffic to favor, we could use the same techniques.

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 16:00:59 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar  (UMKC-Student) wrote:
    >> Most traffic across many measurement points is peer-to-peer file
    >> sharing.
    > have sent warning to students for copy-right infringement.

Which has no appreciable effect on the growth of peer-to-peer file sharing
as a fraction of the total.  The growth rate will obviously taper off as
it nears 100%, since everything else won't go away, by any means, and
eventually some new fad will take its place, but we don't know what
that'll be, or when.  So no, I can't see a change in the trend in coming
years.  I can only surmise that there'll be one eventually, and that it
won't mean less traffic, since it never does.

                                -Bill