Subject: [Ieprep] interconnect requirements discussion

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:52:30 -0800

Hi,

I'd like to propose reword this statement:
    > Primary Objectives in support of authorized emergency calls:
   > 2) Interaction with PSTN
   > The second objective involves the interaction of IP telephony
   > signaling with existing PSTN support for emergency related voice
   > communications.  As mentioned above in Section 1.2, standard
   > T1.631 [26] specifies emergency code points for SS7.
   > Specifically, the National Security and Emergency Preparedness
   > (NS/EP) Calling Party Category code point is defined for ISUP IAM
   > messages used by SS7 [26].  Hence, our objective in the
   > interaction between the PSTN and IP telephony with respect to
   > IEPS (and national indicators) is a direct mapping between
   > related code points.

To something more like this.
     Primary Objectives in support of authorized emergency calls:
    2) No loss of information when interacting with PSTN signaling
    The second objective involves the interaction of IP telephony
    signaling with existing PSTN support for emergency related voice
    communications.  As mentioned above in Section 1.2, standard
    T1.631 [26] specifies emergency code points for SS7.
    Specifically, the National Security and Emergency Preparedness
    (NS/EP) Calling Party Category code point is defined for ISUP IAM
    messages used by SS7 [26].  Hence, when IP providers choose to
     interconnect with the PSTN, it is our objective that this
    interaction between the PSTN and IP telephony with respect to
    IEPS (and national indicators) is a semantically straightforward,
     reversible mapping of comparable code points.

I believe that this addresses Bill's concern while preserving the 
apparent goal of the original paragraph

thanks,
-rohan

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 15:37:13 -0600

If this makes Bill's users less confused about their service with(in) Bill's
network, I'm all for it.

Quoting my 5 year old (from the back seat): "are we there yet"?

At 12:52 PM 11/1/2002 -0800, Rohan Mahy wrote: 
>    > 2) Interaction with PSTN 
>    > messages used by SS7 [26].  Hence, our objective in the 
>    > IEPS (and national indicators) is a direct mapping between 
>    > related code points. 
>
> I believe that this addresses Bill's concern while preserving the apparent
> goal of the original paragraph 
>
> thanks, 
> -rohan

cheers,
James 

              *************************************
"People generally demand more respect for their own rights than 
                         they are willing to allow for others"

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Ken Carlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 22:34:47 +0000

>     reversible mapping of comparable code points.

fine.  the change will be made.

-ken