Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Re: draft-ietf-ieprep-requirements-01

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 13:09:17 EST

In a message dated 10/31/2002 4:17:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

> Please clarify this?  My objection is to someone suggesting that they're
> requiring something of me (QoS or interconnection with arbitrary other
> networks being two examples) which I may either be unable to complete
> autonomously, which they may be unwilling to pay for, or which I may have
> neither engineering nor business motivation to do.
> 

[MAP] I'll clarify it.

No one ever said that this requirements document is intended to set 
requirements on the operator of a network to interconnection with anyone or 
to do anything. This is a requirements document to hand to SIPPING/ SIP/ or 
whatever other WG to tell them what capabilities need to be supported in 
various protocol standards. Once such protocols are available, every 
equipment vendor and network operator is free to decide whether or not they 
will support these capabilities. If your network doesn't want to do business 
with a user (e.g., US government) who wants these capabilities, then that is 
your business choice. Same with a vendor.

So can we get off this discussion about not requiring business issues and 
talk about the technical side of the requirements?

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:22:11 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 [email-masked] wrote:
    > This is a requirements document to hand to SIPPING/ SIP/ or
    > various protocol standards.

Please pick one, and specify it in the title and abstract.

                                -Bill

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep