Subject: Re: [Ieprep] any commercial usage for "emergency QoS"?

From: "Carl Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:22:41 -0600

My first question would be what if access were to be unattainable to the Internet.  

When Hurrican Floyd hit north jersey,  we lost the tandem and therefore access to the 
outside world from the PSTN, the Internet worked because it was more redundant than 
the local switch.  But fundamentally the question that should be asked is what 
scenarios are there that would make the Internet inaccessible and what should be 
done to prepare for that.  Am I making sense?

kind regards,

carl

> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 [email-masked] wrote:
>     > We are trying to talk about "preparedness" for a traffic
>     > overload/fault condition that has never occurred. It did not occur
>     > on Sept 11 or in the "Baltimore Train Tunnel".
> 
> Right, so those were both examples of complete disconnection.  What's the
> condition that you believe has never occurred?  Can you define it for us?
> We're engineers; if you can define a problem, we can try to solve it.
> 
>                                 -Bill
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ieprep mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 22:29:57 -0800 (PST)

> My first question would be what if access were to be unattainable

That certainly happens, as we've all noticed from time to time.  And when
it does, no amount of QoS or additional rules or more fragile routers or
guys with guns are going to move your packets for you.  The only thing
that's going to help is having your connectivity restored, and the only
way that'll happen quickly is if you share fate with the largest number of
other users.  That is, when there's a problem, you _really_ want to be
_just like everybody else_, since the aggregated bulk of the users are the
ones who'll be restored first.

    > But fundamentally the question that should be asked is what
    > scenarios are there that would make the Internet inaccessible and
    > what should be done to prepare for that.

Keep a candle, some matches, and a good book handy?  :-)

                                -Bill

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 17:43:17 -0500

On Thursday, Nov 28, 2002, at 01:29 America/Montreal, Bill Woodcock 
> ones who'll be restored first.

DISA/NCS are able to cause their preferred circuits to be restored first
iff they have appropriate contracts in place with the layer-1 operator.
For the PSTN, having such contracts would not be unusual today (and for 
many
years now).

Ran