Subject: [Ieprep] RE: QoS & GigE

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:00:53 -0600

> Would you count the experiences with Premium service on Abilene,
> recently reported by the Internet2 QoS WG, as useful input? 
   Premium service on abilene was a failed mission. 

My views:
 - They have adapted the virtual-wire PDB (Per-domain Behavior) 
  ( collection of EF PHBs - but a domain view )for supporting 
  VoIP applications. IMO, VW PDB is a theoretical framework and is
  necessary for jitter-adaptive services ( but application doesn't
  have such a tight requirement)
 
 - One of the major reason for the failure is that they tried for
   inter-domain QoS, without taking architectural factors into 
   account.

 - Abilene come under the category of HPC research networks(along
   with vBNS, ESnet-which serves the HENP community), also has a 
   remarkable utilization (http://loadrunner.uits.iu.edu/weathermaps/abilene/)
   So, i2 serves a better place to keep passive measurement listeners,
   run video broadcast sessions for other communities in i2 participating
   schools (e.g. Medicine, Nuclear Physics..) than QoS based services.

 - I have been following some of the activities of i2 and am a member of 
   p2p group in i2. All activities in QoS related projects are more or less
   dormant...as their is no necessity ( BB implementation for Diffserv was 
   contributed by Ukansas but deployment was not so successful.. same case
   for scavenger based services.) But, some of the application based 
   groups are highly successful and offers service to other communities too.

 - Qbone is a collection of tools to calibrate QoS, rather than total 
   Diffserv stack.

shalunov views:
( Has answers for Ran's questions on QoS deployment.)

 shalunov write-up (http://qbone.internet2.edu/papers/non-architectural-problems.txt)
Possibly, iepg should include a talk on this too.

 Their are successful implementations by TEQUILA, DANTE and some other 
European organizations. They have built Diffserv stacks, have deployed
and have even _tried_ for some BoF in IETF. But, they are more into testing
than into use for practical applications.
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep