Subject: RE: [Ieprep] RE: network congestion, VoIP, NCS contracting approa ch, etc.

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:20:32 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Woodcock [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 4:17 AM
To: Henning Schulzrinne
>If you don't throw
>QoS into the mix, there'll be plenty of bandwidth for everyone.  If you
>do throw it in, nobody gets anything.  Simplifying radically for
>rhetorical purpose here, of course.

I don't understand your logic here. Suppose you have a T1 pipe (~1.5
Mbits/sec)and you want to carry G.711 voiceIP calls. With overhead, each
call takes ~ 80 Kbits. You can serve roughly 1540/80 = 19 calls. So you have
QoS implemented in your network, you can still have 19 calls worth of
revenue. You indicated that with QoS your T1 pipe gets smaller; thereby,
supporting less voice calls. 

By the way, you can charge your customers more if they want QoS for their
service. You can always charge more for emergency personnel when they use
you priority service.  Attached is the link you should check it out for
yourself. http://www.genuity.com/services/access/ia/qos.htm

Regards,

An

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:16:45 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Nguyen, An wrote:
    > You indicated that with QoS your T1 pipe gets smaller

No, I said that it stays the same size, but is less likely to function.

                                -Bill

---

From: Sean Donelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:42:12 -0500 (EST)

> yourself. http://www.genuity.com/services/access/ia/qos.htm

Here is a link you should also check out

http://www.sprintlink.net/policy/cos_guidelines.html

IMPORTANT: The sum of all bandwidth allocation on an interface cannot
exceed 75 percent of the total available interface bandwidth. The
remaining 25 percent is used for other overhead, including Layer 2
overhead, routing traffic and best-effort traffic.

Also, an overloaded service class will always yield poor service outcomes.
So the customer is advised not to consistently go beyond the bandwidth
allocations they.ve setup within their service class definitions (e.g.: an
overloaded LLQ priority queue for Voice Over IP traffic will yield either
poor voice quality or an inability to set new calls up).

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:46:18 -0500

On Thursday, Nov 14, 2002, at 09:20 America/Montreal, Nguyen, An wrote:
> you priority service.

That PR demonstrates the value of a PR.  What would be interesting would
be to discover what they've actually deployed, how it really behaves
both normally and under stress, and what the costs to them were.

If someone knows that first-hand, please do speak up.

Ran