Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Requirements for Accounting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:20:49 EST

In a message dated 11/12/2002 3:33:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

>       On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 [email-masked] wrote:
>     > I have seen your point from the very beginning, that you don't want to
>     > be told what you must do in your network.
> 
> No, that's not my point at all.  It's irrelevant what other people say
> about what I must do in my network, since what I must do, I will perforce
> do anyway.  The problem is when someone else _wants_ me to do something
> that I don't need to do, and attempts to _require_ me to do it.
> 

[MAP] Could someone else please explain to me what the difference is between 
my statement above, and Woody's interpretation of it and his final statement? 
I'm at a loss to understand what this disagreement is.

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:47:37 -0500

Mike,

In a message dated 11/12/2002 3:33:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email-masked] writes: 

[MAP] Could someone else please explain to me what the difference is between
my statement above, and Woody's interpretation of it and his final
statement? I'm at a loss to understand what this disagreement is.   
 
I believe Bill doesn't care what people "say" about what he must do but
rather what they "require" him to do.  One is desire potentially without
anything to enforce the want and the other is mandated.
 
This is a consistent theme and it appears to be reaching resolution on the
list.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)  Network operators have expressed concerns
that ieprep would appear as requirements to the Internet community.
Meanwhile, the draft authors such as Ken Carlberg have expressed that they
will modify the drafts to explicitly point out ieprep "services" exist, if
they exist, due to a business contract relationship.
 
Ken:  "Rather, we wanted to 
reinforce the notion that if a service is available it is because
a business contract in some form exists -- ie, there is no such thing
as a free lunch.  Having stated that, we can make another pass at 
trying to further clarify this intent."
 
Kimberly