Subject: RE: Re: [Ieprep] Re: Is QoS Dead?

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 07:08:50 -0500

An asked:
>So back to the QoS issue, Fred, is there a need to provide end-to-end QoS? 

Fred said:
>Is there a need for end to end QoS? I dunno, I think there's only a 
>need if you want your inelastic applications to reliably work end to 
>end. Is that important? 

It is also important to ask the right questions.  Is world peace important?
Yes, I believe it is but what chance do we have solving it (were it within
the charter) in ieprep? 

We need to understand the wonderful knowledge of Fred but we also need to
keep our bearings about that which we can change, and that, for which we
might want to change more than anything else in the world, but are helpless.
Let's think about what we can do to improve service quality focusing on
access links and end systems. I've been talking with some folks here and
I'll be posting some ideas soon.

Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:21:33 -0500

> I'll be posting some ideas soon.

A possibly productive approach would be to take a look going on within 
NSIS. They are in the requirements phase right now, so maybe 
contributing to that work could be useful. Whether and where NSIS output 
will be deployed is another question, but there's not much we can do 
about that. We'll always be in a situation where nothing is universal 
and the IETF can't mandate deployment of anything in any event, so it 
seems more productive to enable the tools we do have. This is all about 
increasing the "*probability* of service success", not waiting until 
perfection.