Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Atlanta ieprep Agenda

From: "Garrity, Jack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:45:44 -0500

Don,

Words matter, especially on this discussion list.  A JCS-validated
requirement is not necessarily a valid requirement.

~~~ Jack ~~~
Work: 703/676-2358 | Fax: 703/848-0299
Home: 703/278-9250 | Cell: 703/508-0065
E-mail: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Choi, Don [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 11:58 PM
To: 'RJ Atkinson'
Cc: ieprep; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Atlanta ieprep Agenda

Ran,

The requirement is valid. It came from JCS. I do know what more I can say
about this to convince you.
Lack of VOIP standards that support "assured service (MLPP)" is one of the
major reasons why VOIP is not permitted to be deployed. 

I do not think there is anyone in DISA, DISN IP folks or DSN folks, who
believe assured service is not a requirement. And this "Assured Service"
requirement is being expanded to all DISN, including DISN IP. So, please
check your sources in DISA again on this.  

We are not working in vacuum. We are working with Network Services folks,
who are responsible for DISN.
We participate in DSN VOIP Working Group meetings, DoD VOIP Summit meetings
and DoD QoS/CoS Working Group meetings to update on our progress in VOIP
standards. They are aware what is going on in IETF and expect IETF to
develop VOIP standards that support our needs.

And this requirement is not just for U.S. Our NATO allies have a similar
requirement. I believe other countries have this requirement also.

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: RJ Atkinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 12:29 PM
To: Choi, Don
Cc: ieprep; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Atlanta ieprep Agenda

That helps, but the DISN IP folks also claim that JCS has explicitly
prohibited them from deploying those kinds of features until DISA
can prove to satisfaction of JCS that such is reasonable/appropriate.

Other folks in the DSN part of DISA are quick to point out that JCS
has also said that DoD is not permitted to deploy VoIP except if a
specific case-by-case waiver is obtained from JCS -- and they also
tell me that such waivers are extremely rare (Skyline being the primary
example of a waiver being granted -- and the negative parts of the
Skyline experience apparently have been heard clearly at JCS).

My concern is that a lot of the things being discussed here have very
significant implications in the operational IP network world.  It would
be better for everyone if some of the actual DISA IP network operations
folks were participating here on their own -- instead of having the
somewhat disconnected DISA Centre for Standards folks doing all/most
of the interactions.  Based on my conversations with those folks, they
seem to share the exact concerns that Bill, Sean, and other operators
here share.

Ran

On Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002, at 22:52 America/Montreal, Choi, Don wrote:
> You are right that the current DISN IP networks do not have many of the
> requirements we are discussing here. And this may change for the DISN 
> IP
> networks.
>
> However, an important point is that DSN (voice network) has all these
> requirements right now, and these requirements have to be supported 
> for DSN
> to migrate from TDM to IP.
>
> Hope this explains the disconnect.
>
> Don
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep