Subject: [Ieprep] architectural considerations

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:36:50 -0500

My assessment is that part of the communication problems
that recur on this list relate to different perceptions of the
Internet Architecture.  This email provides a list of selected
references on Internet Architecture, in hope that folks might
read all/most/some of these.

	There is at the end an addendum on congestion avoidance in
the Internet, since there are widely disparate views expressed on
this list about how much of an issue congestion is in the deployed
Internet.

	I encourage everyone here to read any of these items that
one is not already familiar with.

Ran
[email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------
The following IAB documents might be helpful background
reading for folks concerned with IEprep work:

	RFC-1958:		Architectural Principles of the Internet
	RFC-2990:		Next Steps for the IP QoS Architecture
	RFC-3221:		Commentary on Inter-Domain Routing

---------------------------------------------------------------
These documents might also be helpful as they provide
context on the Internet Architecture, why the Internet
has evolved the way it has, or other Internet issues:

End to End Arguments in System Design (PDF)
	http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.pdf

Design Philosophy of the DARPA Internet Protocols
	http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/ccr/archive/1995/jan95/ccr-9501-clark.html

Will the Real End-to-End Principle Please Stand Up ?
	http://users.exis.net/~jnc/tech/end_end.html

"Soft" and "Hard" State
	http://users.exis.net/~jnc/tech/hard_soft.html

Architectural Principles of the Internet (PDF), as seen by Bob Braden
	http://www.isi.edu/newarch/DOCUMENTS/rtb.IPAM.mar02.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------
These next documents talk about Congestion Avoidance
as it relates to the deployed Internet:

Congestion Avoidance & Control (PDF)
	http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/papers/congavoid.pdf

RED Gateways for Congestion Avoidance (PDF)
	http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers/red/red.html

Recommendations on Queue Management and Congestion Avoidance
in the Internet
	RFC-2309
------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
---

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 20:11:43 -0600

I addition to Ran's list, these are some recent 
additions, which  revisits some of the past architectural
design criteria...

---------------------------------------

Internet is now filled with people of conflicting interests which 
David Clark calls as "tussle in cyberspace"

Sorry..but ieprep community is a perfect example of people
with conflicting interests.

Telephone folks, pure VoIP, IP world, Distributed systems(IAA),
standardization organizations, operators, vendors, researchers&
students, and policy makers. 
although its common in other IETF groups too..

I request you all to read David Clark's recent work (from Newarch 
project), for how to make Internet function inspite of all these
conflicting tussles.

http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigcomm/sigcomm2002/papers/tussle.html

--------------------------------------------------

The recent IAB document is very important in knowing the current problems
in some working groups, which ieprep shouln't repeat..

particularly..

- Overloading ( e.g.. Since groups like MPLS are vendor driven, people try
to increase the waist line of architecture clock )

- complexity at various levels, anything on anything at various layers

- Lack of robustness due to minor problems ( e.g. misconfiguration in BGP)

- Butterfly effect ..local change leading to problems because of lack in global
 picture

- Scott Bradner's recent mail about architectural/business model concerns
 
and much more ...

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-considerations-03.txt
( Sections relevant to ieprep:
    4.  Justifying the Solution
    6.  Long-term vs. Short-term Solutions
    7.  Looking at the whole picture vs. making a building block
    8.  Weighing architectural benefits against architectural costs
   10.  Avoiding Tragedy of the Commons
   11.  Balancing Competing Interests
   12.  Designing for Choice vs. Avoiding Unnecessary Complexity
   13.2.  Discussion: overloading
   14.  Internationalization
   15.  Deployability
 oops!!! ..but seems everything is relevant ..)

when this documented is updated next time, it should add a section on
"policy and labels".. a lesson from ieprep to other groups.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ymbk-arch-guidelines-05.txt
( Sections relevant to ieprep (Must for telephone folks):
    5. Packet versus Circuit Switching: Fundamental Differences
    6. The Myth of Over-Provisioning
    7. The Myth of Five Nines  )
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than that, if you have time/cycles get into:
http://www.ana.lcs.mit.edu/anaweb/papers.html
http://www.isi.edu/newarch/docs.html
http://www.icir.org/floyd/layers.html
http://www.icir.org/floyd/evolution.html
http://www.maoz.com/~dmm/complexity_and_the_internet/
http://netlab.caltech.edu/internet/
http://www.reed.com/dprpapers.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------