Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Atlanta ieprep Agenda

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:29:52 -0500

QoS is related to availability, survivability, and reliability. My
impression is that as far as high availability is concerned IP networks are
not there yet. Therefore, IP folks from NANOG are trying to provide four or
five nines just like what have been done with PSTN. 

On a related issue, what I've kept hearing is to resolve congestions and QoS
issues by throwing more equipment at them. One of these presentations ( I
believe from QWest) says that "Now capital is limited" . I think a lot of
ISPs would agree with this statement and I am not speaking for Qwest here.
It indicated that serious traffic engineering needs to done utilizing what
are being deployed.  

By the way, what do you think about Genuity offering priority and QoS?

Regards,

An

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Woodcock [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 10:56 AM
To: Nguyen, An
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Choi, Don;
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Atlanta ieprep Agenda

      On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Nguyen, An wrote:
    > I was not there at the meeting. But these are what I found related to
QoS.
    > http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0210/sanjay.html

That one's about HA, and has nothing whatsoever to do with QoS.

    > http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0210/shankar.html

That one's about Fast Reroute, and has nothing whatsoever to do with QoS.

    > http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0210/telkamp.html

That one's about capacity planning, _specifically in opposition to QoS_.

    > http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0210/complexity.html

That one explains why a wide range of failed technologies were deprecated,
and mentions QoS in that context.

What point are you trying to make?

                                -Bill

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:55:59 -0500

On Thursday, Nov 14, 2002, at 11:29 America/Montreal, Nguyen, An wrote:

> QoS is related to availability, survivability, and reliability.

Yes, normally deploying QoS in a packet network lowers all three of 
those.

> It indicated that serious traffic engineering needs to done utilizing 

Most of the big ISPs already have their own facilities, and the fibres
are already lit up (often by large DWDM systems).

> By the way, what do you think about Genuity offering priority and QoS?

No way to tell from that press release what actually is deployed.

Ran

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:01:13 -0800

>> Yes, normally deploying QoS in a packet network lowers all three of 

Again, I agree with Ran, but would like Nguyen to explain his
statement. 

>> are already lit up (often by large DWDM systems).

Basically, the state of things is that the capital is already
spent (bandwidth), and (most) carriers have already gone though
the cost reduction exercise. It is true there is not new capital,
but who needs it (we've all already built out). It's about OPEX these
days. 

Dave