Subject: RE: [Ieprep] NCS contracts with voice IXCs

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:59:45 -0500

On Friday, Nov 15, 2002, at 02:21 America/Montreal, Gunn, Janet wrote:
> The (proposed, future) "IP packet switching core" within the VOICE 
> IXC's
> network is NOT going to be the ISP that runs under the same corporate 
> name.
> I am not talking about a contract with the ISP side of the business.  
> I am
> talking about a contract with the VOICE side of the business, that
will
> include IP technology in its network.

> Who knows whether THAT (sub)network will be over provisioned or not?  
> Since
> it doesn't  exist yet, it WILL require new (now scarce) capital.
>
> Who knows what other performance characteristics it will have?

This seems to address the IP bridging case.  Telco operators appear to like
the Media Gateway Controller/Gateway architecture using MGCP or Megaco to
communicate with media gateways*.  Hence this case will often have Call
Admission Control (CAC).  So NCS contracts with voice IXCs could continue to
provide increased probably of call completion.

With respect to call quality, it also seems Telco operators are the ones
most concerned with call quality and sometimes select ATM for this reason.
(Whether ATM is dead or not may have a lot to do with whether you are an ISP
or a Telco company.  Bill considers it somewhat dead and from his
perspective, I see his point.  But I'm not so sure companies like Cable &
Wireless see it the same way from the telco side of the house.)  Telco
softswitch class-4/class-5 replacement networks seem the most likely to
provide acceptable call quality so I'm not sure whether it makes sense to
worry if they may be under provisioned for transport given they probably
have CAC and are concerned with call quality.

Kimberly

*My guess on this comes from looking at vendor offerings aimed at
traditional telco operators and media sources announcing some contracts.
Packet voice is a huge space and no one architecture can be assumed to
really sum up the situation.  No need to provide exceptions, I know they
exist and I also know vendor solutions don't necessarly make for industry
solutions.
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep