Subject: Re: [Ieprep] NCS contracts with voice IXCs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:29:39 EST

In a message dated 11/16/2002 11:23:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

>       On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>     > there are at least three possible interpretations:
>     > (1) Voice IXCs mix voice and commodity Internet service
>     > (2) Voice IXCs run a logically separate network for voice
>     > (3) Voice IXCs run a completely separate network infrastructure
> 
> Each of which are possible, but then there's the common case, which will
> always outnumber all of those three put together, which is
> 
> (4) Voice IXCs don't do or know anything about data, since they ride
> several layers higher in the stack, and the underlying data is
> assumed to be present due to the customer's arrangement with an ISP.
> 

And I'll give you the answer (to why we haven't heard from the voice IXCs) I 
got from individuals from two large carriers currently in the "PSTN" world 
which naturally have a "voice IXC" function:

(5) They are not actively participating in this activity (IETF in general, 
and SIP in specific) because they believe that any meaningful, useful 
capability is so far off in the future that they don't see it as worthwhile 
to waste their time on it.

Mike Pierce
Artel
(speking personnally)

---

From: Sean Donelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:26:10 -0500 (EST)

> to waste their time on it.

TOKYO (Reuters) - Internet service provider (ISP) units of Japanese
electronics giant Sony Corp (news - web sites) and two other companies
said on Thursday they would jointly launch a trial operation for Internet
protocol (IP) phone service.

The two other firms are NTT Communications Corp, a wholly owned
long-distance unit of Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp, Japan's top
telecoms operator, and Nifty Corp, which is Fujitsu Ltd's ISP arm.

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep