Subject: Re: [Ieprep] ieprep-requirements-01 - reqs 1-5 - discussion request

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:58:29 EST

In a message dated 11/12/2002 11:21:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

>     On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Garrity, Jack wrote:
>     > For the scenario you describe, the NS/EP codepoint and NS/EP features 
> take
>     > effect at GETS-capable local exchanges.  Those exchanges serve over X
>     > percent of US-based access lines, where X is on the order of 85 
> percent or
>     > greater.
>     > If the terminating local exchange is GETS-capable (same switches
>     > as in the first paragraph), NS/EP features have effect.
> 
> So about 70% of U.S. domestic source-destination pairs are covered.  Since
> as has been pointed out many times recently, there's no practical way of
> distinguishing national borders on the Internet, I don't have
> U.S.-specific figures.  However, if the DoD purchased GETS-like services
> from the dozen or so usual suspects globally, they'd have only about 4%
> coverage.  (20% of 20%, rather than 85% of 85%).  There are a _lot_ of
> ISPs, and the large ones aren't that large relative to the whole.
> 

The math above that arrives at 70% and 4% is really not significant. The 
orginating (85%) and terminating (85%) are distinct parts of the capabilities 
desired. They are not both required to do anything. The calculation of .85 x 
.85 = .70 only tells you what percentage of the calls get both the 
originating exchange and the terminating exchange functionality. It's still 
true that 85% of calls get each, and 97.75% get one or the other.

And NCS (please stop referring to DoD) can purchase GETS-like services from 
any number of carriers that offer it.

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:11:45 -0800 (PST)

> true that 85% of calls get each, and 97.75% get one or the other.

Uh, sorry, you're making my head hurt.  Could you slow down and explain
that one?  If 85% of the endpoints are covered, then 70% of calls have two
covered endpoints, not 85%, and 85% != 97.75% last I checked.  What am I
missing?

    > NCS can purchase GETS-like services from any number of carriers that offer it.

That's a ludicrous claim on the face of it.  Perhaps you'd care to
moderate it somewhat.

                                -Bill

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep