Subject: RE: FW: [Re: [Ieprep] ieprep-requirements-01 - reqs 6-10 - discussionrequest]

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:37:08 -0500

>See, that's not nearly so bad as you guys were making it out to be.

Did you read http://www.ncs.gov/ncs/html/EO12472.htm ?

It includes the words

"(c) The NCS shall seek to ensure that a national telecommunications
infrastructure is developed which: 

...

(2) Is capable of satisfying priority telecommunications requirements under
all circumstances through use of commercial, government and privately owned
telecommunications resources; 

(3) Incorporates the necessary combination of hardness, redundancy,
mobility, connectivity, interoperability, restorability and security to
obtain, to the maximum extent practicable, the survivability of national
security and emergency preparedness telecommunications in all circumstances,
including conditions of crisis or emergency".

Notice the word "priority" in the segment "priority telecommunications
requirements".  I don't find a definition of priority in that document.
Priority also has a meaning associated with IP networks (e.g., terms like a
priority queue).  Have the two ideas been blended?

Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Barry Raveendran Greene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:50:26 -0800

> infrastructure is developed which:

We do not have "national" boundaries on the Internet. We have AS boundaries.
So perhaps there is a mismatch of expectations. IETF has to think of the
Internet. NCS has to think of US interest. Sometimes the agenda can match.
Sometimes they cannot.

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:57:11 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, King, Kimberly  S. wrote:
    > all circumstances

Ouch.  So did they leave themselves a loophole in the definition of
requirements?  Or is one of the requirements that calls be completed?

    > obtain, to the maximum extent practicable, the survivability
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good, somebody was thinking clearly.

                                -Bill