Subject: RE: [Ieprep] ieprep-requirements-01 - reqs 1-5 - discussion request

From: "Garrity, Jack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:40:30 -0500

Ken,

For the scenario you describe, the NS/EP codepoint and NS/EP features take
effect at GETS-capable local exchanges.  Those exchanges serve over X
percent of US-based access lines, where X is on the order of 85 percent or
greater.

Once the call reaches a GETS-capable local exchange or a GETS interexchange
carrier, the NS/EP treatment is carried through to the terminating local
exchanges.  If the terminating local exchange is GETS-capable (same switches
as in the first paragraph), NS/EP features have effect.

I won't guarantee this description entirely.  If this description suffices,
I'll be ready to try to evaluate the content in your original message.

~~~ Jack ~~~
Work: 703/676-2358 | Fax: 703/848-0299
Home: 703/278-9250 | Cell: 703/508-0065
E-mail: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Carlberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 7:29 AM
To: Garrity, Jack
Cc: ieprep
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] ieprep-requirements-01 - reqs 1-5 - discussion
request

> I'll try to evaluate your message content after you expand a bit on your
> statement about "the current GETS system doesn't offer any special service
> within a land-line exchange."  

by this I meant that if one were to make a 'local' call within a LEC 
(eg, Brooklyn NY, to Manhattan NY), the NS/EP code point and HPC
services don't take effect until the call signaling goes from the 
origin LEC to the IXC.  further, that the NS/EP call doesn't extend
to the destination end-office.  so things like extended trunk queuing
is not done along the entire path between the originator and the 
destination in the US PSTN.  have I got that right?

-ken

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Stuart (Stu) Goldman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 06:05:51 -0700

Ken,

Jack's description matches my understanding. Once the NS/EP value is set in the
SS7 IAM CPC, the call is identified as an HPC (High Probability of Completion)
call.

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:10:27 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Garrity, Jack wrote:
    > If the terminating local exchange is GETS-capable (same switches

So about 70% of U.S. domestic source-destination pairs are covered.  Since
as has been pointed out many times recently, there's no practical way of
distinguishing national borders on the Internet, I don't have
U.S.-specific figures.  However, if the DoD purchased GETS-like services
from the dozen or so usual suspects globally, they'd have only about 4%
coverage.  (20% of 20%, rather than 85% of 85%).  There are a _lot_ of
ISPs, and the large ones aren't that large relative to the whole.

                                -Bill

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:40:26 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Bill Woodcock wrote:
    > So about 70% of U.S. domestic source-destination pairs are covered.
    > If the DoD purchased GETS-like services from the dozen or so usual
    > [ISP] suspects globally, they'd have only about 4% coverage.  (20%
    > of 20%, rather than 85% of 85%).  There are a _lot_ of ISPs, and the
    > large ones aren't that large relative to the whole.

Oop, sorry, posted that pretty early in the morning, my time; well before
my brain was in gear.  Average AS path length is between 3.5 and 6,
depending where you look at the table, with most measurements clustering
at or a little above 4.  So if you want L3 QoS for the path, it's actually
0.16% (20% of 20% of 20% of 20%).  You could increase that a little by
constraining your target population to U.S.-only, but it wouldn't help
that much, since the U.S. is still a relatively representative subset of
the whole.

                                -Bill