Subject: [Ieprep] from the US homeland security bill (just signed into law)

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:03:10 -0500 (EST)

these could be related to the work of ieprep (at least in the US)

------------------------
SEC. 508. USE OF NATIONAL PRIVATE SECTOR NETWORKS IN EMERGENCY RESPONSE.

  To the maximum extent practicable, the Secretary shall use national private
  sector networks and infrastructure for emergency response to chemical,   
  biological, radiological, nuclear, or explosive disasters, and other major
  disasters.

SEC. 509. USE OF COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE TECHNOLOGY, GOODS, AND SERVICES.
It is the sense of Congress that--

(1) the Secretary should, to the maximum extent possible, use off-the-shelf
    commercially developed technologies to ensure that the Department's
    information technology systems allow the Department to collect, manage,
    share, analyze, and disseminate information securely over multiple channels
    of communication; and
(2) in order to further the policy of the United States to avoid competing
    commercially with the private sector, the Secretary should rely on
    commercial sources to supply the goods and services needed by the
    Department.

the whole bill is at http://thomas.loc.gov - search for HR 5005 and
select the ENR version

Scott
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Berg, Dennis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:53:54 -0500

Yes, these sections are a strong endorsement of the approach taken in GETS
and continued in Wireless Priority Service (WPS) extension of GETS that is
currently under development and deployment.  The National Communications
System, the agency that "owns" these programs, is now part of Homeland
Security.   

Dennis Berg
GETS IC Deputy Program Manager, Engineering
DynCorp IS
703-818-4608

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Scott  Bradner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Tuesday, November 26, 2002 12:03 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	[Ieprep] from the US homeland security bill (just signed
into law)

------------------------

  To the maximum extent practicable, the Secretary shall use national
private
  sector networks and infrastructure for emergency response to chemical,   
  biological, radiological, nuclear, or explosive disasters, and other major
  disasters.

    share, analyze, and disseminate information securely over multiple
channels

Scott