Subject: [Ieprep] RE: What service providers say about Class/Quality of Service

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:34:20 -0500

As indicated in the earlier message that if the ISP don't do the right job
queuing their mixed ( voice and video) IP packets the voice would suffer
badly. The reason is voice packets in general are much shorter than video.
And it take much longer for   a router to process a video packet and a voice
packet. If voice packets don't stay ahead of video in the queue, then voice
traffic would get more delay. As a result, QoS for voice would suffer. 

My point in this is that every ISP has a different business model and a
different network architecture. I think it is wrong to declare that QoS is
not need at all IP networks. As you probably already saw an email early by
someone in which there is a long list of vendors that are interested in QoS.

Regards,

An
-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Donelan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 7:42 PM
To: Nguyen, An
Cc: 'Bill Woodcock'; Henning Schulzrinne; Gary Thom; ieprep
Subject: What service providers say about Class/Quality of Service

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Nguyen, An wrote:
> By the way, you can charge your customers more if they want QoS for their
> service. You can always charge more for emergency personnel when they use
> you priority service.  Attached is the link you should check it out for
> yourself. http://www.genuity.com/services/access/ia/qos.htm

Here is a link you should also check out

http://www.sprintlink.net/policy/cos_guidelines.html

IMPORTANT: The sum of all bandwidth allocation on an interface cannot
exceed 75 percent of the total available interface bandwidth. The
remaining 25 percent is used for other overhead, including Layer 2
overhead, routing traffic and best-effort traffic.

Also, an overloaded service class will always yield poor service outcomes.
So the customer is advised not to consistently go beyond the bandwidth
allocations they.ve setup within their service class definitions (e.g.: an
overloaded LLQ priority queue for Voice Over IP traffic will yield either
poor voice quality or an inability to set new calls up).

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Sean Donelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:18:56 -0500 (EST)

> someone in which there is a long list of vendors that are interested in QoS.

Vendors sell what people buy, not what they need.  Remember tail fins on
cars?

There was a long list of vendors interested in OSI once upon a time too.
IBM, DEC, Burroughs, Tandem, Xerox, etc.  GOSIP was the law of the land
and government purchasing power meant something.

In an emergency, which is more like to work?  An OSI/GOSIP network or an
IP network? Something that works beats a requirement almost every time.
Why spend $10 million on a pen which will work in zero gravity, when a
pencil works?

As a vendor, I'm more than happy to take the government's money.  As a
citizen I have a hard time understanding why the government wants to spend
money fixing a problem when they don't even know if its a problem yet.
Why not try using a pencil?  Maybe you will find out it works.

---

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:14:42 -0500 (EST)

> badly.

I'm not sure I buy this for OC48 backbones and the like
the difference between a long & short packet is a few microseconds

Scott