Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Atlanta ieprep Agenda

From: "Choi, Don" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:52:30 -0500

Ran, 

You are right that the current DISN IP networks do not have many of the
requirements we are discussing here. And this may change for the DISN IP
networks.

However, an important point is that DSN (voice network) has all these
requirements right now, and these requirements have to be supported for DSN
to migrate from TDM to IP. 

Hope this explains the disconnect.

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: RJ Atkinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 7:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: ieprep
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Atlanta ieprep Agenda

On Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002, at 12:59 America/Montreal, [email-masked] 
wrote:
> Yes, this might increase the capital costs for any carrier that wants 
> to support this customer (NCS), just as many other capabilites might. 
> So what is so different about this one?

The problem is that it probably increases the costs for carriers that 
CHOOSE NOT TO
support NCS as a customer.

> But, I am also arguing this point in support of DISA, which is the 
> operator of a large network, which may one day migrate to supporting 
> voice over IP (although I'm beginning
> to think that is a long way off!)

DISA does operate a large network.  The DISN technical staff (i.e. the 
folks who
actually do operate those IP networks) seem to be taking a different 
posture than you
when I talk with DISN folks directly.  Not sure where the disconnect 
lies in that...

Ran

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:29:15 -0500

That helps, but the DISN IP folks also claim that JCS has explicitly
prohibited them from deploying those kinds of features until DISA
can prove to satisfaction of JCS that such is reasonable/appropriate.

Other folks in the DSN part of DISA are quick to point out that JCS
has also said that DoD is not permitted to deploy VoIP except if a
specific case-by-case waiver is obtained from JCS -- and they also
tell me that such waivers are extremely rare (Skyline being the primary
example of a waiver being granted -- and the negative parts of the
Skyline experience apparently have been heard clearly at JCS).

My concern is that a lot of the things being discussed here have very
significant implications in the operational IP network world.  It would
be better for everyone if some of the actual DISA IP network operations
folks were participating here on their own -- instead of having the
somewhat disconnected DISA Centre for Standards folks doing all/most
of the interactions.  Based on my conversations with those folks, they
seem to share the exact concerns that Bill, Sean, and other operators
here share.

Ran