Subject: Re: [Ieprep] problem context

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:35:17 EST

In a message dated 11/25/2002 1:19:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> On Monday, Nov 25, 2002, at 12:52 America/Montreal, Choi, Don wrote:
> > The requirement for MLPP like service in internet (IP-based network) has
> > been part of IEPREP WG all along.
> 
>     Disagree.  It has NOT been here "all along".   It is an example
> of "feature creep" or "charter creep".  I've been at each IEprep BOF
> or WG meeting.  

[MAP] I know this has been a point of disagreement, since IEPREP often 
concentrated on the "Authorized Emergency" applicaiton and referred to the US 
GETS service as the primary example. But the charter  is equally applicable 
to the MLPP (or "Assured Service", as I have been presenting) when it talks 
about "facilitate recovery operations for ... terrorist attacks" and 
"Internet Prepardness".

> 
>     Also work specifying an MLPP mechanism is outside charter, since IEprep
> 

[MAP] We understand that IEPREP will not define the actual mechanisms.

>     The WG to address MLPP is probably DiffServ.  I infer that DoD/NCS folks 
> haven't
> succeeded (yet ?) in persuading DiffServ to specify something that DoD/NCS 
> folks like.
> None the less, DiffServ is the WG where MLPP mechanisms are most likely 
> actually
> to get specified and where desires for MLPP need to get expressed (assuming 
> folks
> want MLPP to actually happen inside IETF specs).  Earlier it sounded like 
> you all
> grasped this fact and were trying to work within DiffServ; I must have 
> 

[MAP] Yes, we believe that some of the solutions (read: mechanisms) should be 
DiffServ enhancements, so we expect to eventually go there. But we also 
believe there are other parts to the solution, so it is necessary to get the 
requirements and framework defined in another WG first. IEPREP was chartered 
to do that for emergency services. MLPP (or "Assured Service") fits within 
that set of "Emergency Services". As has been discussed, the solution set is 
expected to be used for both the MLPP-like (mostly military network) and the 
GET-like (civilian network) applications.

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:35:06 -0500 (EST)

> DiffServ enhancements, 

they could also be diffserv usages  (i.e. no enhancements required)

Scott
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep