Subject: [Ieprep] GETS calls placed from corporate PBXs

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:55:17 -0500

>What is the GETS strategy when the phone is behind a 
> corporate PBX
> and that PBX has more offered load in outbound call attempts than it 
> has capacity
> to connect to the Class-5 phone switch ?  

I think (and Janet or others please correct me if I'm wrong here) that the
GETS user would get a busy signal, same as any other user if the link to the
PSTN is filled.  (This is different behavior than a PBX that is enabled to
support MLPP in DoD.)

>Does NCS have a special 710 
> contract
> with most corporate PBX owners ?  

This would be news to me.  I don't think so.

>Is it just best effort in 
> that case ? 
>   I'm curious.

Yes.

> And what about PBXs that haven't been configured to know about 710 at 
> all ?

GETS operational support folks, if they discover problems (hotels are a
common examples where PBXs might not understand 710) start a process to get
the PBX configured correctly.  Sometimes users discover and report problems
too.  The point is, there is a way to fix that problem.  

Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:53:22 -0500

On Friday, Dec 13, 2002, at 13:55 America/Montreal, King, Kimberly S. 
> PSTN is filled.  (This is different behavior than a PBX that is 

Thanks.  I *really* think that we need to differentiate the DoD 
Autovon/MLPP
scenarios from the civilian IEprep scenarios.  There are major 
functional
differences in the deployed systems (GETS vs Autovon).  There are major
differences in needs (GETS reportedly has no pre-emption; Autovon 
absolutely does).
And the solution spaces look different (civilian IEprep is inherently an
inter-domain problem whilst DoD Autovon or IP-layer MLPP is a single 
domain
problem).

> This would be news to me.  I don't think so.

So the deployed GETS service is best-effort on the access link from the
corporate handset to the corporate PBX and best-effort from the 
corporate
PBX to the PSTN RBOC Class-5 switch.

> too.  The point is, there is a way to fix that problem.

I'd suspect that lots of corporate PBXs and lots of universities also 
don't
have 710 configured.

Thanks,

Ran
[email-masked]