Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Re: Summary of IEPREP work and VoIP

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:40:46 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: RJ Atkinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 9:48 AM
To: Nguyen, An
Cc: 'ieprep '
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Re: Summary of IEPREP work and VoIP

>I'd like to understand what stuff can reasonably done inside the 
>Transport-layer
>in this regard, where the usual definition of Transport-layer would 
>include
>TCP, SCTP, and UDP (maybe also XTP, but that's got nil deployment).  I 
>think
>of the transport-layer as including congestion avoidance and control, 
>but
>NOT path selection.  And I'd call any form of IP routing to be part of 
>the
>IP-layer.  (If you don't feel comfortable listing company names on an 
>IETF
>list, maybe you could email me a URL for whatever the public 
>documentation
>is for this other widget/feature/thing ?)

>Maybe we're merely not understanding each other ?  I'm pretty sure that
>I don't know what stuff could be put into the transport-layer that could
>possibly affect IP routing (or path-selection, which is the same thing).

When I said QoS in the Transport layer, I did not mean proprietary QoS
mechanisms put into existing Transport-layer protocols such as TCP, UDP,
SCTP and others by this company to optimize the IP traffic for its
customers. Below is what I meant:

Because of this company's coverage in the Internet, it can deploy its
optimization scheme to take a snap shot of the Internet and determine the
best paths for its customers' IP traffic to take. What it does is ping and
traceroute to statistically determine how much TCP and UDP utilizations are
at certain time intervals and make routing decisions based on these
utilization numbers. I am talking about the interdomain traffic here. 

Interesting concept ... but it still has some drawbacks ... But, no one
solution can fix everything. :-) 

You know about this company ... I will send you an email later.

An
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep