Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Re: Looking for governmental feedback as well

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:54:01 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: RJ Atkinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 10:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: ieprep
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Re: Looking for governmental feedback as well
Ran,

>Congestion in access links is of course routine, but is not something 
>that can be solved by an ISP since the access customer controls that link.

I still think congestion in access links needs to be resolved. Below is an
analogy I always think of when it comes to congestion.

Let's say an ambulance or a fire truck that responds to a 911 call during
rush hours. It needs to get on the Beltway to get to the emergency location.
And the Beltway is like a parking lot at that time. Everyone on the road
(including you and I if we happen to be on it) has to make room for the
ambulance or the fire truck to get through. I don't mind a little
inconvenience at all because it could save someone's life. Can you imagine
what happens if there is no established mechanism in place for those
emergency vehicles?

When those 911 calls are originated from our home or our relatives', we
would definitely have different perspectives.

Regards,

An
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 17:36:55 -0500

On Monday, Dec 2, 2002, at 16:54 America/Montreal, Nguyen, An wrote:
> I still think congestion in access links needs to be resolved.

I agree that potential congestion in access links is an issue, but we 
have
also discussed ways to address them, such as:
	- deploying CoS queuing in routers connected to access links
		(e.g. Sprint's CoS service offering)
	- deploying intra-domain IP ToS bit markings to ensure that
		a given site's access router has lower drop probability
		for preferred traffic that is destined for the ISP uplink
		from that site
	- deploying link-layer ToS mechanisms (e.g. 802.1p, others)

Mechanisms that live entirely inside a router (e.g. queuing disciplines)
is outside IETF scope.  DiffServ is already on the IETF standards-track
and covers use of the IP ToS bits.  Link-layers are outside IETF scope
and some (e.g. Ethernet) already have the standards specified (e.g. 
802.1p).

Ran