Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Re: GETS calls placed from corporate PBXs

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 07:14:25 -0500

Ran asked:
>But in such a case, is one operating best-effort
>on the inbound links at least as far as the first RBOC switch ?

Yes, if using the 800 numbers to access GETS, there is no preferential
treatment at the LEC.  

>Is it best effort from the first RBOC switch inward to the destination ?

No, best effort from the first RBOC switch but once at one of the IXCs (the
800 numbers are tied to GETS supporting IXCs), there is preferential
treatment for the remainder of the call.

>And is there any pre-emption in GETS ?  That is will a GETS call cause
>a non-GETS call that was already placed and is currently in use to get
>dropped.  My earlier understanding was "no", but I want to be sure I
>understood correctly.

You are correct.  No pre-emption is done and I have heard it said many times
that it isn't needed either.  This is because the PSTN has a huge amount of
resources.  Simply by waiting a bit (some extra queuing for a line to become
available), one can usually succeed because capacity will almost always
become available during a short time interval. 

Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 04:16:18 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, King, Kimberly  S. wrote:
    > No pre-emption is done and I have heard it said many times
    > that it isn't needed either.  This is because the PSTN has a huge
    > amount of resources.  Simply by waiting a bit (some extra queuing
    > for a line to become available), one can usually succeed because
    > capacity will almost always become available during a short time
    > interval.

Heh.  So here we see where the two systems are alike, at a sort of quantum
level.  In the packet switched network, there's a single selected path
between any two points, and it's either in use, or not in use, and the
state changes on a microsecond basis.

Leading, of course, to the same conclusion.

                                -Bill