Subject: [Ieprep] Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Ministry--Internet Use

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:04:58 -0500

Folks,

Below is another response from a disaster relief organization.  I am hopeful
that by talking to actual emergency relief organizations that we can gage
some of their concerns and how we can be of assistance.

Kimberly

________________

I will be glad to respond to your questions on behalf of the Southern
Baptist Disaster Relief Ministry.

1) How does your organization use the Internet during emergency
situations or for emergency recovery?

Southern Baptist use the Internet to post a general disaster relief
report at http://namb.net/dr during a response.  We also use our 800 ras
number to gain access to the Internet to pass email, reports and pictures
from the field to national HQ.

2) Is there a way that the Internet fails to meet your needs in these
situations?  Will you describe the symptoms of the problem? 

Our biggest problem is gaining reliable phone or data transfer service from
the disaster area to national HQ.  Once reliable phone service is
established we are able to transfer information directly.

3) Do you envision using Voice over IP applications in such situations?
(For example, Microsoft NetMeeting can support audio conversations between
people like a traditional telephone call except using their computers with
microphones and speakers) 

I could see a use for this kind of applications especially for conference
calls or NOVAD meetings which could take place on the web.  However, the
problem is again having the reliable ISP from the field

4) Have you already tried such voice applications over the Internet to
aid emergency recovery? 

No, but I would be interested in trying.

5) In other words, how would you like to use the Internet during an
emergency or how do you think it could be of assistance?

I would like to use the Internet to help with live reporting and data
collection.  If reliable ISP could be provided from the field then we
would be interested in a web based application for disaster management and
reporting.  However, since during a disaster we do not have a reliable
ISP from the field we have not attempted a web based application.

Because HE Lives,
Joel W. Phillips
NAMB DR Off-Site Coordinator <//><
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
800-462-8657 Ext. 6133
 
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep