Subject: [Ieprep] Internet emergency preparedness--more examples

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:28:31 -0500

I continue to research Internet emergency preparedness.  Here are more of my
findings...

Internet access isn't a given, even in the U.S.  I don't mean the case where
an emergency occurs in an unexpected place and first-responders have no
access connection.  Rather, I refer to pre-determined locations.  

Wisconsin 2002 

"A recent study of Critical Access Hospitals revealed that only half had
internet access and many have computer equipment that does not accommodate
CD-ROMs. Many have only one e-mail address for the entire hospital. Staff
lack training and time to locate and interpret information distributed on
web pages. Although CAHs have received recent state funding for computers
and software, the adequacy of these resources for disease surveillance,
emergency response and disaster communications has not yet been evaluated or
tested."

http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/dph_bcd/Bioterrorism/pdf_files/WisconsinBioterro
rismGrant_HRSA.pdf

"Mohammad Akhter, MD, MPH, director
of the American Public Health
Association and a former state EMS director
and state EMS medical director, told
another Senate panel Oct. 9 that 10% of
the nation's public health departments
don't even have Internet access." (in 2001)

http://www.jems.com/911/pdf/ins1101.pdf

****************************************************************************
*************

Meanwhile, other states such as Missouri and Massachusetts or cities like
Dallas among others seem to be communicating using the Internet

"In the event of a disaster or terrorist attack, Missouri now has a
statewide, Internet-based communications system linking hospitals, major
metropolitan emergency services providers, local public health agencies and
the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Known as the EMSystem®, the communications network allows users to
communicate in real time their abilities to manage various levels of
casualties. If ground based telecommunications lines are amaged or
overloaded, the system can use satellite-based Internet telecommunications
as a back-up. Users need only standard computer capabilities and Internet
access."

http://web.mhanet.com/asp/reporters/news_releases/emsystem1002.asp

"To improve communication and help eliminate this problem in the Dallas-Fort
Worth area, efforts are under way to install EMSystem, a Web-based dispatch
system allowing EMS agencies immediately to know which hospitals can provide
suitable care. 
Information about the number and types of patients a particular hospital can
accept is updated at least every few hours. Emergency personnel, using a
computer with Internet access and a Web browser, determine the appropriate
hospital. "  

http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2001/10/22/focus1.html

http://www.emsmdc.com/emsystem_overview.htm
 
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep