Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Understanding Congestion

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:35:24 -0500

Bill said: 
> Right...  The combination of uRPF, backscatter, and iBGP is 
> used to sink
> traffic to a destination /32, regardless of source address.

Firewalls...how many user sessions are behind a single /32? 
Potentially hundreds right?  Some could be emergency 
while others are not.  

Your reply suggests that you refute my claim that this 
addresses a different problem that congestion management of 
individual flows or user sessions over the global Internet.  
You have provided a solution.  What ieprep problem does 
this solve?  

Kimberly

Disclaimer:  My statements represent my own thinking and do not necessarily 
reflect the position of anyone else in the world including my employer. 
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:53:32 -0800 (PST)

> Firewalls...how many user sessions are behind a single /32?

That's a NAT function rather than a firewall function, of course.  If
someone is foolish enough to use a NAT, there's little that anyone can do
to help them.

    > individual flows or user sessions over the global Internet.

Mmm, you're correct that it does not in fact allow per _user_ or per
_flow_ traffic dumping, but neither of those are properties which are
visible at layer 3.  These are the techniques which are used in the
Internet, at layer 3.

                                -Bill

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 21:25:31 -0500

I thought this might be of interest to group members - it's reasonably 
thoughtful :

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20021225/wcybe1225a/
Front/homeBN/breakingnews

Regards & Merry Christmas to All;
Marshall Eubanks

POSTED AT 5:54 PM EST    Wednesday, December 25
space
Cyberspace sentinels brace for trouble

Canadian Press

Vancouver — The fight against terrorism and the prospect of hostilities 
with Iraq have the sentinels of cyberspace bracing for trouble.

Experts say it's only a matter of time before someone mounts a 
concerted, politically motivated attack on the Internet or a piece of 
computer-dependent infrastructure such as the electrical grid.

Despite growing security awareness, especially in the wake of the Sept. 
11, 2001, terrorist attacks, many critical systems remain open to 
intrusion and disruption, authorities in both the private and public 
sectors agree.

"The problem at this point is that the vulnerabilities are so numerous 
one has a hard time trying to decide where to start," said Andrew 
McAllister, director of cyber protection at the federal Office of 
Critical Infrastructure and Emergency Preparedness.

<snip> - More follows