Subject: Re: Try it, you might like it RE: [Ieprep] any commercial usage for "emergency QoS"?

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:18:48 -0500

On Friday, Nov 29, 2002, at 22:32 America/Montreal, Steve Silverman 
wrote:

> While advertised as VoIP, the Skyline building, like most
> implementations is actually VoLAN.

That's fair, but the bits on the wire are roughly <voice>, UDP, IP,
and Ethernet.  The term "Voice over IP" means *any* deployment where
voice is carried over IP, regardless of whether LAN, MAN, WAN, or
inter-planetary.

> From what I've heard, very few users are using VoIP on a WAN where
> the IP has to contend with moderately loaded (> 30% loaded lines).
> I would very much like to hear from anyone with real experience with
> VoIP over a typically loaded WAN.

That would be Bill Woodcock, who is going blue in the face trying to
explain that all of his experience is that his "real experience with
VoIP over a (wide range of) typically loaded WAN(s)" is that it just
works.

Ran

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:24:05 -0800

>> > the IP has to contend with moderately loaded (> 30% loaded lines).

That is not what I have heard, nor is it the experience that we
have had in the State of Oregon. We trunk many of our Class 5
switches together using VoIP, and that traffic runs over the
state internal network (which aggregates traffic from all of the
universities in the state for delivery either to another
university or to the Internet at large). We haven't seen any real
problems.

>> VoIP over a (wide range of) typically loaded WAN(s)" is that it just

Add to this that all ISPs have large MNC customers who use their
own VoIP infrastructure over Internet infrastructures (i.e.,
stat-muxed with their Internet traffic that the send to their
service provider) for toll bypass. This is especially prevalent
in the the international cause (although there is quite a bit of
domestic VoIP flying around). 

Dave