Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Re: GETS calls placed from corporate PBXs

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:12:12 -0500

If 710 doesn't work from a particular phone, there are some 800 numbers
which will take you straight to a GETS capable IXC.  So as long as 800
works, you are OK.

-----Original Message-----
From: RJ Atkinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 3:53 PM
To: King, Kimberly S.
Cc: ieprep
Subject: [Ieprep] Re: GETS calls placed from corporate PBXs

On Friday, Dec 13, 2002, at 13:55 America/Montreal, King, Kimberly S. 
wrote:
> I think (and Janet or others please correct me if I'm wrong here) that 
> the
> GETS user would get a busy signal, same as any other user if the link 
> to the
> PSTN is filled.  (This is different behavior than a PBX that is 
> enabled to
> support MLPP in DoD.)

Thanks.  I *really* think that we need to differentiate the DoD 
Autovon/MLPP
scenarios from the civilian IEprep scenarios.  There are major 
functional
differences in the deployed systems (GETS vs Autovon).  There are major
differences in needs (GETS reportedly has no pre-emption; Autovon 
absolutely does).
And the solution spaces look different (civilian IEprep is inherently an
inter-domain problem whilst DoD Autovon or IP-layer MLPP is a single 
domain
problem).

>> Does NCS have a special 710
>> contract
>> with most corporate PBX owners ?
>
> This would be news to me.  I don't think so.

So the deployed GETS service is best-effort on the access link from the
corporate handset to the corporate PBX and best-effort from the 
corporate
PBX to the PSTN RBOC Class-5 switch.

>> And what about PBXs that haven't been configured to know about 710 at
>> all ?
>
> GETS operational support folks, if they discover problems (hotels are a
> common examples where PBXs might not understand 710) start a process 
> to get
> the PBX configured correctly.  Sometimes users discover and report 
> problems
> too.  The point is, there is a way to fix that problem.

I'd suspect that lots of corporate PBXs and lots of universities also 
don't
have 710 configured.

Thanks,

Ran
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:21:45 -0500

> which will take you straight to a GETS capable IXC.  So as long as 800

OK, that's useful.  But in such a case, is one operating best-effort
on the inbound links at least as far as the first RBOC switch ?
Is it best effort from the first RBOC switch inward to the destination ?

And is there any pre-emption in GETS ?  That is will a GETS call cause
a non-GETS call that was already placed and is currently in use to get
dropped.  My earlier understanding was "no", but I want to be sure I
understood correctly.

Ran