Subject: RE: Try it, you might like it RE: [Ieprep] any commercial usage for "emergency QoS"?

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 11:58:55 -0500

>I would very much like to hear from anyone with real experience with
>VoIP over a typically loaded WAN.

Maybe you can track down someone at Worldcom for the real experience
http://www.worldcom.com/us/products/connection/enterprise/faq/

Yes, this is designed for shared VoIP&data over an access link to a WAN. 

Congestion?
"What happens to my WorldCom Connection calling when there is a slowdown or
congestion in the network? 

...We have found that congestion is more likely to occur on the access
circuits, again reinforcing the need for a well designed network"

Firewalls?
"How does my firewall impact The WorldCom Connection? 

Today's firewalls are designed to block Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
signaling. As a result, voice packets must utilize a pinhole in the firewall
to reach their destination. 

However, many firewall vendors have been updating their offerings to support
SIP. WorldCom has certified several SIP enabled firewalls which can be used
alongside your existing firewall and will allow SIP traffic to pass to phone
users."

Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep