Subject: Re: [Ieprep] IEprep in JP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:51:55 EST

In a message dated 12/2/2002 10:37:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> On Monday, Dec 2, 2002, at 10:26 America/Montreal, [email-masked] 
> wrote:
> > [MAP] Perhaps you could elaborate. We've had a lack of info about 
> > "deployed IEPREP services" in other countries (besides the US), either 
> > in the circuit-switched world or IP. As far as I know, GETS in the US 
> > and MLPP are the only ones today in the circuit switched world and 
> > there are none in IP. The IAA in Japan is something completely 
> > different, as is the sevice in UK that was described as a way to get 
> > priority dial tone.
> 
> IAA is an IEprep service.  IEprep is not scoped to only be voice services
> such as GETS.  And IEprep is not scoped to inherently require MLPP.
> 

[MAP] Yes, I understand that IAA is an "IEPREP service" in the general sense. 
What I meant is that it is not a service which can or does operate on the 
basis that certain users are given authority to get a better "priority" than 
others. My points are all related to a service with special authorized users.

> Kindly recall that IETF operates on a global basis.  Just because the
> USG thinks it wants MLPP does not mean that it is a global all-countries
> requirement from an IETF perspective.  Our standards have to be equally
> applicable to all countries (including less connected countries and 
> non-western
> countries) [1] and must not have nationalised biases.  RFC-1984 is one 
> example
> of this global perspective on IETF work.
> 
[MAP] Please note that the "MLPP" that we're using as a model for an IP 
equivalent is also a "global standard" (in ITU-T). It can be applied in any 
country. I would agree that it is mostly the US that implements it in private 
neworks (as far as I am aware).

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:05:55 -0500

> [MAP] Yes, I understand that IAA is an "IEPREP service" in the general 

The general definition is the one IETF uses.

> What I meant is that it is not a service which can or does operate on 
> the basis that certain users are given authority to get a better 
> "priority" than others.

That is consistent with what I hear:
	IAA in Japan does not require that any users get preferred treatment.
	IAA does want a very high probability that the IAA traffic get 
delivered.

> My points are all related to a service with special authorized users.

Interesting, but here in IETF, IEprep does NOT necessarily mean such a 
service.

> [MAP] Please note that the "MLPP" that we're using as a model for an 
> IP equivalent is also a "global standard" (in ITU-T). It can be 
> applied in any country.

That ITU spec is not any sort of Internet Standard and this is not the 
PSTN,
so while amusing that spec is not applicable to actual INTERNET 
Emergency
Preparedness.

Ran
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep