Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Re: GETS calls placed from corporate PBXs

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 21:33:53 -0500

Ran,

-----Original Message-----
>From: King, Kimberly  S.
>To: 'RJ Atkinson '; 'Gunn, Janet '
>Cc: 'King, Kimberly  S. '; 'ieprep '
>Sent: 12/14/02 7:14 AM
>Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Re: GETS calls placed from corporate PBXs

>Ran asked:
>>But in such a case, is one operating best-effort
>>on the inbound links at least as far as the first RBOC switch ?

>Yes, if using the 800 numbers to access GETS, there is no preferential
>treatment at the LEC.  

>>Is it best effort from the first RBOC switch inward to the destination
?

>No, best effort from the first RBOC switch but once at one of the IXCs
>(the
>800 numbers are tied to GETS supporting IXCs), there is preferential
>treatment for the remainder of the call.

Two of several GETS features are "trunking queuing" and exemption from
management control" that give GETS high probability call completion during
congestion.

1. Trunk Queuing allows a GETS user to queue his/her calls and wait for the
next available; and

2. With exemption, GETS calls don't get blocked. 

With these two designed to support GETS, I think GETS gets better service
than just "best effort".

An
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:08:37 -0500

> With these two designed to support GETS, I think GETS gets better 

I believe that is true *within the administrative boundary of 
RBOCs/CLECs
that have contracts with NCS for GETS* provided the 710 area code is 
being
used.

These features are NOT enabled for GETS within my company's PBXs.
They probably are NOT enabled in many companies' PBXs.  They are
reportedly NOT enabled for the outbound call portion in situations
where the end-user is accessing GETS via the 800 (presumably using 800
because 710 is not supported at the end phone handset).

My question was specific to the situation where the end user is on a 
phone
handset that is connected to a corporate PBX where no GETS contract is
in place and 710 is not a supported area code, that is, my question
was not "in general", but in a specific scenario.

The relevance of this, by the way, is that accessing the Internet in an
unplanned manner from a random tail circuit is comparable to accessing
the PSTN from behind a random corporate PBX.  In both cases, it is hard
to pre-plan for any link congestion that might be present.  In the 
Internet
case, congestion is uncommon inside the core even during a crisis, 
whereas
there are credible reports that the PSTN does suffer congestion inside 
its
core during a crisis.

But thanks anyway,

Ran