Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Re: Looking for governmental feedback as well

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:49:52 -0500

I don't think anyone is asking the ISPs to solve the problem of congestion
on access links (though it seems that some ISPs (e.g., Sprint) are
addressing it).

What is being asked is for IETF to help identify emergency traffic WHEN SOME
ENTITY is addressing congestion on the access links.

-----Original Message-----
From: RJ Atkinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 10:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: ieprep
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Re: Looking for governmental feedback as well

Congestion in access links is of course routine, but is not something 
that
can be solved by an ISP since the access customer controls that link.

Ran

__
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:08:58 -0500

> ENTITY is addressing congestion on the access links.

	Interesting.

	IP ToS bits can be used to identify preferred traffic inside a domain
(and on that domain's access links to other sites or its ISPs).  
Enterprise users
often do that today (or use the 802.1p Ethernet precedence bits or 
other link-specific
methods for the same end).

Ran
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 05:49:42 -0800 (PST)

> ENTITY is addressing congestion on the access links.

Okay, so, bearing in mind that engineering and deployment time are
precious, and nobody has capex, when might that be?

I'm not being facetious...  I'm just going back to the needs-assesment
issue.  If there's no one for whom this is a need, that is, if there's no
one who's willing to buy this product if it's made available, then all the
development work that goes into it is wasted, and could better have been
spent addressing the problem in some other, more likely to be adopted,
way.

Who would ever act against their own self-interest to reduce congestion on
their access link?

                                -Bill