Subject: [Ieprep] Autovon/MLPP scenarios

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 07:04:36 -0500

Ran said:
>Thanks.  I *really* think that we need to differentiate the DoD 
>Autovon/MLPP scenarios from the civilian IEprep scenarios.  
>There are major functional differences in the deployed systems 
>(GETS vs Autovon).  There are major differences in needs (GETS 
>reportedly has no pre-emption; Autovon absolutely does).
>And the solution spaces look different (civilian IEprep is inherently 
>an inter-domain problem whilst DoD Autovon or IP-layer MLPP is a 
>single domain problem).

While basically single domain, it isn't exactly as simple "the government
(DoD) is both "A" and "A"'s ISP'.  The reality is A (post, camps and
stations) have very different policies than A's ISP (DISA).  In this case (a
problem for DoD but not ieprep), is that DoD may have to agree with itself
to set the policy on those access links!

Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:55:20 -0500

On Saturday, Dec 14, 2002, at 07:04 America/Montreal, King, Kimberly S. 
> to set the policy on those access links!

Organisational dynamics can be quite complex, but are not within IETF's
purview.  On paper at least, someone at a high-enough-level within DoD
could mandate a single policy for all DoD IP networks.  Some DISA folks
would say that DISA already has that authority.  Others might point to
JCS as the source of such authority.  At least its pretty clear that if
the Secretary of Defence issued an instruction, that would be binding.

I don't think the IETF ought to spend any cycles worrying about whether
DoD chooses to have a single policy or not.  From an external view,
which is all the IETF can really have, the DoD AutoVon over IP concept
would be a single-domain concept, not inter-domain.

By contrast, the civilian IEprep scenario is no kidding really really
inter-domain, without any body in a position to mandate a common policy
for ISP A and ISP B.

Ran