Subject: RE: [Ieprep] What Do You Recommend?

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 17:18:10 -0600

> I expect that there are many  emergency workers that 
> will not benefit from our efforts in this WG. 

One cannot ask all the emergency responders to use
Internet. Even if they want to, there are lot of other issues
other than just technology and standardization..policy (govt 
and ISP policies), pricing, deployment, contract and business
issues (which IETF have no say.)

Its worth pointing that many things cannot be changed if 
they don't bring revenue. I remember quoting the following 
Mike o' Dell lines to many:
http://www.cs.washington.edu/hotnets/papers/fernandez.pdf
"Mike O'Dell said: [to have a Voice-over-IP service 
network one has to] create the most expensive data service to run 
an application for which people are willing to pay less money 
everyday, [...] and for which telephony already provides a better 
solution with a marginal cost of almost zero."

I guess, current users of GETS might find SIP resource
priority header standardization very useful.

So, IMO, if at some point an emergency responder or service 
provider want to use Internet, they can look into the bcp -which
should elaborate on Kimberly's two mails regarding emergency 
scenarios..with more information on
 * Use of last mile access and metropolitan technologies...like 
   IEEE 802.11 QoS, packet ring 802.17 etc.
 * Use of policy agents like BB and marking policy.
 * Problems in first mile ..crowding at the web servers etc.

Coming to the topic under discussion, we can provide some
guidelines for the standard operating procedures used by
emergency responders...namely possible disaster communication
applications and associated guidelines.. TRIP based routing, 
overlay routing schmes (not network level), use of independent 
application protocols like BEEP etc. It should also detail on 
the use of  systems like IAA (Ran wrote a detailed mail 
regarding its use.)
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep