Subject: [Ieprep] rational problem solving

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:36:34 -0500

Bruce Schneier has a five step process for thinking about security measures
but actually the process is general and applies to ieprep problems.  

1) What problem does it solve?
2) How well does it solve the problem?
3) What new problems does it add?
4) What are the economic and social costs?
5) Given the above, is it worth the costs?

http://www.counterpane.com/presentation4.pdf

Does anyone see a concrete particular ieprep problem that needs to be
solved?  If you are reluctant to write in public, feel free to email off the
list.

Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:58:10 -0800 (PST)

> solved?

1) In cases in which one can plug a phone into a network _and get a
   globally routed IP address via DHCP_, can a call actually be placed to
   an arbitrary other phone?  I'm not wording this well, but basically
   what I'm getting at is the basic issue of reachability through
   NATs/firewalls.  If you can't get an IP address in the first place,
   that's a whole different problem, and one which standards and
   legislation and so forth aren't going to fix.  But once you've got
   that, can you actually call your destination, or is a NAT in front of
   the destination going to block the call because it doesn't know how to
   deal with it?  That's our number one problem right now.

2) When the receiving-end phone gets an emergency call, right now it
   doesn't know anything special about the call.  Can we cryptographically
   authenticate the "emergency" nature of the call, so that the
   receiving-end phone can do things like up its ring volume, use a
   different ring-tone, do a call-waiting beep on the line during an
   already-off-hook call, et cetera?

                                -Bill