Subject: [Ieprep] RE:polk-ieprep-flow-model-considerations-00

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:14:03 -0600

> Comments on this ieprep list are appreciated

1/ I really like the draft. Its very crisp and provides a good
classification of application level data/control plane. I might 
be missing something very basic. But, I fail to understand 
how the draft serves as a point of reference for the WG when 
discussing *if (and which) QoS mechanisms* should be employed 
for each individual (application) protocol packet flow.

My understanding of application-level signaling is that it helps in
differentiating various applications. The quality of service part
(network level) will remain the same whether we are going to use 
in-band or out-of-band /receiver-initiated or source-initiated 
signaling. An ISP can provide some kind of static provisioning
(best effort) or network level signaling (RSVP) to support the 
application depending on their service features. So, how does your 
draft helps in identifying whether the application has to use 
QoS or not? Do you mean to say, " Since the draft has classified 
the application level stuff used for ieprep, one can infer whether 
those application require QoS mechanisms based on their known 
delay/jitter requirements."

2/ The draft has not mentioned RTSP and SAP. Is that media-on-demand 
and broadcast applications are not useful for ieprep?
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep