Subject: RE: [Ieprep] not an ad but maybe useful background info

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:21:34 -0500

Scott,

>it helps to use logic as well - what emergency use can there be for 
>SSNs? - if there is no compelling use why should they be exposed to
>emergency workers (or whoever runs of with the emergency worker's PDA)?

I assume SSN's could be used in association with medical records but I tend
to strongly agree with your position.

Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Stuart (Stu) Goldman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:12:17 -0700

Folks,

I would hope that there are different classes of information that would be
displayed based on the type of emergency worker. The article mentioned
bankruptcies for instance. Does the EMT need to know if I can afford to pay the
bill before he bothers to restart my heart?

I would also hope that an audit trail would be generated requiring some
confirmation regarding the inquiry.

Since it is a service being marketed, I suspect that neither hope has been
addressed,

---

From: Sean Donelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 15:16:34 -0500 (EST)

Personal opinion, not representative of any organization or company

I wonder if members of congress would give up their GETS cards or their
Blackberries first?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/08/politics/08PREP.html

On Capitol Hill, lawmakers prowl the halls with new BlackBerry handheld
digital pagers that are to notify them instantly in case of an attack.
Security officials regularly use the devices to warn lawmakers of breaches
and tell them where to gather in an emergency.

Representative Bob Ney, Republican of Ohio, distributed the devices to all
House members after he found that on Sept. 11, 2001, telephone lines were
clogged and his BlackBerry was his sole effective means of communication.

"It's the only thing that worked that day," said Mr. Ney, chairman of the
committee responsible for House security.

---

From: Ken Carlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 02:40:14 +0000

> I wonder if members of congress would give up their GETS cards or their

agreed, an interesting question.  assuming members of congress had a
GETS card, I would be interested in the response of the members from
Utah.  Particularly if one told them that if they were vacationing in
Park City, they would not have Blackberry service (according to
http://www.motient.com/find/), but rather would have to drive to Salt
Lake City, Provo, Ogden, or Layton to get it.  Further, that if they
were in the cities of Delta, Nephi, Ephraim, Huntington, Price,
Richfield, Circleville, Loa, Moab, St. George, Cedar City, Panguitch,
Kanab, Beaver, Heber, Brigham City, Evanston, Randolph, Logan, Blanding,
or Roosevelt they would not have Blackberry service.

-ken

---

From: "Stuart (Stu) Goldman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:58:39 -0700

Ken,

Would it not be the wisest course of action for them to have have both?

Since I don't know what facilities might be lost during a disaster, having as
many tools (using different technologies) as possible would seem to give me the
best chance of at least one tool remaining viable.

---

From: Ken Carlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:20:43 +0000

> Would it not be the wisest course of action for them to have have both?

absolutely, and more the merrier.  the original question was placed as
an either/or proposition.  I'm not sure I see the utility of such a
position, but the question of the tradeoff of perceived coverage
versus new technology and architecture is a fair one -- this includes
handwaving over various factors.  I personally go for coverage if i 
know I'll travel and my "home" is distributed.

-ken