Subject: [Ieprep] access and enterprise networks

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:56:52 -0500

At the last meeting, people expressed an interest in addressing access and
enterprise networks.  As frustrating as it might seem, if there is to be any
progress, the problem still has to be precisely defined.  

Let's consider defining the problem and it would be nice to factor in some
practical realities too.  

Here are some assumptions: 

A) ETS locations are known in advance of any emergency. When an emergency
occurs, each will already be connected to a network (unless the emergency
damaged the connection in which case that situation is out of scope).

B) Generally, we aren't trying to simultaneously solve the problem for every
ETS location in the entire world at the same time.  Rather, subsets of ETS
locations are affiliated with each other and some policy decision (and
likely funding scenario) is made for that subset.  An example, say all fire
stations in particular county want to procure IP connections for their use.
Meanwhile, a city's hospitals might be under completely different policy and
funding and aren't particularly interested in paying for enhanced
communications via some fancy IP network with the fire stations.  

So, what is it that we want to ensure?  Would ieprep like a service that
provided some minimum bandwidth guarantee (like gold service) over the
access link and that's sufficient to make everyone reasonably happy?  If
that kind of service just isn't acceptable, then please provide some text
and details about the problem you believe we need to address.

Kimberly

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep