Subject: RE: [Ieprep] access and enterprise networks

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 05:20:55 -0600

> Since during normal times, providers may offer "best effort" service,
> during an emergency the definition may be "best available" service.  
> But in neither case will it be better than the best service the 
> provider offers.

I like this definition of "best available" service. Ken was searching
an alternative for "better than best effort". I guess, "best available"
service will be an apt choice.  

> Most of the reports I've seen on whether VOIP is ready for prime 
> time concern the problems with the quality of the speech path, not 
> with getting the call set up packets through the network.
> 
> So if I was looking at the real problems I'm seeing in the 
> network, call set up doesn't seem to be the problem needing to be 
> solved.

I agree with you that call set up is a non-issue. But, as per the 
quality of speech, vonage (VoIP product)users might disagree with 
you.Atlast, quality depends on the selection of codec. I presume,
you must be an INOC-DBA user and seems it works fine with its 
available codec. But, more important is change in codec and 
congetion-aware transport during emergency situations. 
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 07:48:38 -0500

On Thursday, Apr 3, 2003, at 06:20 America/Montreal, Ayyasamy, 
> congetion-aware transport during emergency situations.

I'd prefer using some of the (non-ITU) codecs in iVox if I were really
in an emergency situation.  Certainly DoD reached that conclusion
some years back.  They work well in low bandwidth situations that
have non-trivial packet loss (e.g. Voice/IP/2.4 Kbps HF radio) --
and in an emergency the key thing is to be able to communicate,
rather than somewhat abstract ITU defined "quality" of the sound.

http://tonnant.itd.nrl.navy.mil/ipresearch/ivox_info.html

Ran