Subject: RE: [Ieprep] access and enterprise networks

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:19:47 -0500

Ran,

>I am not aware of any IP VPN provider that offers any end-to-end
>preferential treatment of IP packets.  Maybe one exists someplace,
>but I'm not aware of any (and I have looked).

Sorry, I did not use the right terminology. I meant it from an DiffServ/MPLS
perspective :-).

An
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:33:32 -0500

On Tuesday, Apr 1, 2003, at 14:19 America/Montreal, Nguyen, An wrote:
> Sorry, I did not use the right terminology.
> I meant it from an DiffServ/MPLS perspective :-).

I think your terminology was just fine.

I just don't know any IP or IP VPN operator that actually has enabled 
DiffServ
inside the operator's core for any customer packets (nor do I know of 
any with
any form of real end-to-end DiffServ/ToS deployment).  I know of a few 
that use
one codepoint for internal routing/network-mgmt traffic and another 
codepoint
for all customer traffic, but those operators clear all IP ToS bits on 
inbound
customer packets.  There are also some (e.g. from IETF/Atlanta 
presentation
by Sprint.net) that will read ToS bits on the inbound access link only
(i.e. this is not an end-to-end service).

There might be some MPLS Layer-2 VPN providers that provide a layer-2
private-line service that has been provisioned in the style of Frame 
Relay.
I'm not aware of any, but some might exist someplace.  However, this
again would basically be equivalent to purchasing layer-2 capacity
and building a private network for oneself (see previous example).

Cheers,

Ran