Subject: RE: [Ieprep] access and enterprise networks

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 18:41:46 -0600

> I'd prefer using some of the (non-ITU) codecs in iVox if 
> I were really in an emergency situation.  

Just curious, what are the codec's which are used widely?
I remember you commenting that INOC-DBA sounds fine even
with a lousy codec.

> Certainly DoD reached that conclusion
> some years back.  They work well in low bandwidth situations that
> have non-trivial packet loss (e.g. Voice/IP/2.4 Kbps HF radio) --
> and in an emergency the key thing is to be able to communicate,
> rather than somewhat abstract ITU defined "quality" of the sound.

I accept. I don't know whether people see all these mean opinion
scores ( as defined by ITU-T) in practice. we should have better
rating schemes. But, I would be interested in knowing about
practical rating methods available for quality of speech ( other 
than MOS)...
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Ian Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:36:16 -0500

> I don't know whether people see all these mean 
> opinion scores ( as defined by ITU-T) in practice. we should 
> have better rating schemes. But, I would be interested in 
> knowing about practical rating methods available for quality 
> of speech ( other than MOS)...

Much research on better methods of assessing audio and video quality is
at http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/research/higherview/

---

From: Sean Donelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:56:57 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0403/040903a1.htm
Nearly 5,000 first responders are taking advantage of an instant messaging
service to help bridge communications gaps among federal, state and local
emergency relief workers, Federal Emergency Management Agency officials
said Wednesday.