Subject: RE: [Ieprep] access and enterprise networks

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:35:57 -0500

An,

>I thin we need to define what access and enterprise networks 
>are and what
>are the chokepoints in these network. We need a diagram that 
>depicts this
>whole thing.  

Yes.

>I don't totally agree with the notion that locations of any 
>emergency can be
>predicted in advance. 

An arbitrary location may connect to the Internet, if it connects, via one
or more of about 10,000 ISPs.  I just haven't heard any ideas on how you get
anything but default treatment in an arbitrary network with whom you have no
prior relationship.  (Recall from the framework that we don't want to assume
mandates but rather SLA-type approach.)  So that's the reason for the
assumption.

>
>Does "Gold service" mean access traffic needs to be classified so that
>traffic belongs to this gold service could be taken care of first when
>congestion occurs? 

Helping performance in IP networks may take a rethinking of what it takes to
be successful.  At a minimum, it may require redefining what it means to be
"taken care of first" and the definition of when there is "congestion".  IP
network performance is inherently statistical rather than an ordered
deterministic "this call first, then that one".  

For networks with best effort service (e.g., the overwhelming majority of
ISPs), it might make sense to have the provider guarantee some minimum
throughput for particular locations.   Let's take an example of driving a
car in my town.  Vehicular traffic in Washington D.C. can be congested.
One method to control congestion on a highway is to control the rate traffic
enters the highway.  One method of gold service says ETS locations get to
put more traffic on that highway when the on-ramps are busy.  

There is also another method for solving particular congestion problems (at
least for some cars).  One can put in a special lane (say for high occupancy
cars) on that highway.  This is more a RSVP/DiffServ approach and may be
appropriate on certain enterprise networks.

I hope this provides some forward direction.

Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Stuart (Stu) Goldman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:58:01 -0700

Kimberly,

When you said "

cars) on that highway.

I was surprised that you did not also address those few selected vehicles
with flashing lights and a siren that can get "Platinum Service" on the
existing roads without the need for new lanes.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of King,
Kimberly S.
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 10:36 AM
To: 'Nguyen, An'; 'King, Kimberly S.'
Cc: Ieprep (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Ieprep] access and enterprise networks

An,

Yes.

Kimberly