Subject: RE: [Ieprep] IP Bridging Configuration Guidance for IEPREP Tele p hony

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:33:42 -0400

James,

We DO understand that the "SIP Priority Header" simply "flags" the call as
"emergency" to the end user.  Quite independent of anything else that
happens with SIP or DIffServe or MPLS or SDC, it seems sensible to use the
existing "notify the user that this is an emergency related call" feature.

The  paragraph that talks about the SIP Priority Header references  RFC
3261.

A next paragraph talks about the (not yet formally adopted) Resource
Priority Header, and the associated syntax. Maybe we need to insert some
text in between to make it clearer that we are talking about two different
things.

I agree we are missing the reference to  "Communications Resource Priority
Header for the Session Initiation Protocol" (formerly
draft-polk-sip-resource-02.txt and now
draft-ietf-sip-resource-priority-00.txt).  At one round of editing, I did
insert it, but somehow it didn't make it into the final version, and I
didn't proof well enough.   Apologies.  

Janet              

-----Original Message-----
From: James M. Polk [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 12:53 PM

Now to a point of correction, there is indeed a SIP Priority Header, but it 
is not used in a fashion you appear to think it does. The SIP Priority 
Header does NOT cause anything to be processed any differently, it is 
merely an indication to the receiving user (and not the user agent) of the 
importance of the session. This was why Henning and I needed to propose an 
extension to the SIP protocol for resource priority of SIP entities between 
the requesting and responding UAs. This effort had to be in a separate ID, 
after a requirements ID was agreed upon (RFC 3487). Once a Resource 
Priority header is created via a Standards Track RFC, vendors should 
interpret any priority in that header to also mean a priority indication to 
the called user (via the UI).

In your ID's reference to the SIP Priority header, it gives the syntax of 
the Resource Priority Header (without referencing that ID, BTW). This, too, 
is incorrect.

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:23:18 -0500

At 01:33 PM 7/3/2003 -0400, Gunn, Janet wrote:

>James,
>At one round of editing, I did insert it, but somehow it didn't make it 
>into the final version, and I didn't proof well enough.   Apologies.

no problem - additional text isn't a bad thing in this case. A lot of 
topics are covered in a short amount of space

>Janet

cheers,
James

                                *******************
                    The answer is "42", what's the question?

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep