Subject: RE: [Ieprep] IEPREP agenda High Availability Networks Vienna meet ing

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:17:50 -0400

All,

It is completely unproductive to cycle through the same arguments based upon
vague unstated assumptions.  Defining the context is key.  

For example, consider the statement "ships need to communicate over radio
links".  I surmise these radio links connect to an enterprise network.  Yes,
preferential treatment to some users is possible.  There are drafts on this.
Do they meet the needs?  

In another context, suppose we would like a high availability network.
Maybe we are an emergency relief organization and want to know what to look
for in a service provider's network that would ensure quality service.
Maybe we are an enterprise designing a network to support emergency
services.  What is the hallmark of a high availability network?  Perhaps
this merits a discussion at the meeting.

Kimberly

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Berg, Dennis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:54:31 -0400

I think, we have to think reverse...i.e.VoIP traffic blocking the 
transfer of legitimate TCP based traffic;the related fairness 
issue and tcp-friendliness. Please read the recent IAB draft, which 
clearly illustrates with back of the envelope calculations based on 
a VoIP transfer between Atlanta and Nairobi demoed at a previous 
ieprep session. 

COULD YOU IDENTIFY THE IAB DRAFT THAT YOU ARE REFERRING TO?
DENNIS