Subject: [Ieprep] IP Bridging Configuration Guidance for IEPREP Telephony

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:11:42 -0400

Several of us have coauthored a Best Common Practices ID on configuring a
single domain, IP bridging, topology to support Emergency Telecommunications
Service.

This ID has been published as an Internet draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mcgregor-ieprep-bridging-bcp-00.tx
t

Since the deadline for submission  of Internet Drafts, we have made several
enhancements and clarifications.  We have posted a new version at
https://gets-ic-pmo.is.dyncorp.com/IETF/Documents.htm 

The following is the abstract from the ID:

RECOMMENDED best current practices in applying existing 
protocols for operational implementation of an Emergency 
Telecommunications Service (ETS) in a single-domain IP Bridging 
topology are to use a) Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
Priority header value of "emergency", b) Session Description 
Protocol (SDP) attribute experimental parameters to designate 
the call (session) as either a National Emergency call, 
International Emergency call, or both, c) MEGACO context 
descriptors of priorities 0-4 and emergency indication, and 
d) Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) with Exp-Inferred Label 
Switched Paths (E-LSPs) having a dedicated codepoint specifying 
application of ETS Per-Hop Behavior (PHB), where ETS PHB is 
technically specified the same as EF PHB, but with different 
parameter values and associated with an ETS-specific MPLS 
Differentiated Service.  RECOMMENDED best current practices include IP 
Differentiated Services marking using specified codepoints allocated 
from the Experimental and Local Use pool (pool 2) to designate the 
traffic as either National Emergency or International Emergency for 
corresponding ETS PHB use, and signaling between the Signaling Gateway 
(SG) and Media Gateway Controller (MGC) using the MTP3 SS7 protocol 
over the M2UA adaptation protocol with the Stream Control Transmission 
Protocol (SCTP).  Support is suggested for work in progress on 
defining a SIP Resource-Priority header and defining a SIP telephone 
URI extension for calling party category designation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in
delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind
CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written
agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail
for such purpose.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------