Subject: [Ieprep] IEPREP Vienna meeting summary

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:06:16 -0400

The Internet Emergency Preparedness (IEPREP) meeting consisted of 2
presentations and a discussion.  

The first was given by Ken Carlberg who went over changes to both the
general and IP telephony requirements for IEPREP.   There were no objections
to the document substance. In addition, he discussed individual contribution
on stub domains.  

The second contribution was given by Janet Gunn about the draft written
by McGregor, Kaczmarek, Berg and Gunn on MPLS IP bridging scenarios for
IEPREP.  During the discussion it was pointed out that the draft proposed
modifying existing IETF protocols and that any such modification was
outside the scope of the IEPREP WG charter. It was suggested that the
authors break up the ID into multiple smaller IDs that focused on
requirements for individual IETF protocols.  It was also noted that 
some parts of the ID (for example using SIP to notify end users) 
did not seem to be relevant to the specific bridging context the ID was
addressing.

Scott Bradner then initiated a discussion of High Availability Networks.
He went over general design concepts in IP networks that lead to resilient
networks.  He then asked the working group if they thought IEPREP needed
to do anything in writing documents to help network operators build such
networks.  The working group pointed out that ISPs tend to provide these 
capabilities in order to support their customers.  But it was pointed out
that some of the newer ISP players might not have the background to
understand the importance of redundant network designs.  The conclusion 
of the discussion was that IEPREP did not have any additional role in 
defining documents for High Availability Networks but that such 
documents might be a reasonable topic for some O&M area working group.

-----Original Message-----
From: Allison Mankin
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: 7/24/2003 11:42 AM
Subject: Pre-minutes highlights of your meetings

Hi, Transport Area Chairs,

A number of you have already sent us summaries of your working groups.

Please send a brief, pre-minutes narrative of the major decisions and
events
of the meeting to Jon and me.  It can really just cover selected
consenses,
and/or controversies.  Highlights.  It is also a useful item to send to 
your working groups, suitably labelled.  We'd like to have this before 
July 31.  Next time, with more notice, we'll ask for it within a week of

the IETF meeting. 

Milestone updates are important at this time too.  
Send them to iesg-secretary, cc the ADs.  

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep