Subject: RE: [Ieprep] IEPREP agenda High Availability Networks Vienna meeting

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:59:09 -0500

>My primary focus has been voice which stops being very useful as 
>the delay gets too great (I would guess a 15 second delay would 
>make voice sufficiently annoying that people would turn to email.
>But I don't know of any experimental research on what this limit
>is. )

I think, we have to think reverse...i.e.VoIP traffic blocking the 
transfer of legitimate TCP based traffic;the related fairness 
issue and tcp-friendliness. Please read the recent IAB draft, which 
clearly illustrates with back of the envelope calculations based on 
a VoIP transfer between Atlanta and Nairobi demoed at a previous 
ieprep session. 

>> For example, a military sensor deployment or an ad-hoc network
>> formation in a emergency spot depends on constrained BW in a
>> multi-hop network.
>>
>> I don't think ieprep WG can help you with this issue. I possibly
>> consider transport level solutions in such scenarios as a
>> non-starter.
>
>I didn't think IEPREP was constrained to Transport level solutions.

that was not my point.

>The solution I have been proposing for congested voice in a limited
>bandwidth environment is described in  < draft-silverman-diffserv-
>mlefphb-01.txt >. 

new PHB? If you actually propose a new PHB for a limited local 
setting (like MLPP exercised in a private domain which has no 
connection with Internet), i don't think it requires IETF 
ratification. 

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 18:06:22 -0500

> COULD YOU IDENTIFY THE IAB DRAFT THAT YOU ARE REFERRING TO? 

actually, Ran forwarded the ID to this list. 

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-congestion-00.txt

It has some rough calculations on how TCP is affected based on
the packet drop rates exhibited by the VoIP transfer  between 
Atlanta and Nairobi. 

but, comments about the draft should belong to e2e list.