Subject: [Ieprep] Power Outages - North East US 14/08

From: "Lawrence Stromski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:56:25 +0100

Hi,

I'm based in the UK, I'm just watching the Internet and the News reports at
23:23 British Summer Time literally during the power outage that affected
the North East of the US. I thought I'd just record a few notes with this
mailing list, from a UK point of view.
(I am hanging off the BT Global Network in the UK, bt.net.)

It's very difficult to ascertain exactly what's down, and if it's a result
of the power outages.

So far, I have no connectivity on the ATDN, AOL Transit Data Network beyond
their London router, pop1-loh-P5-2.atdn.net. This is preventing me from
making a connection to the CNN Webserver, www.cnn.com.

"America Online spokesman Nicholas Graham said the company, the largest U.S.
Internet service, had witnessed a dip in simultaneous users at 1 p.m. EDT.
The count fell from 2.4 million members online to 2.1 million." -CNet News.
AOL seem to be a recurring theme in this power outage. Were they less
prepared than any other company or network?

No response on Global Crossings network past London.
so3-2-0-622M.cr2.LON3.gblx.net. This is preventing communication with the
Global Crossings web server too.

No response from denver-br2.bbnplanet.net 4.0.0.118 past Washington DC,
Level3. so-1-0-0.bbr1.Washington1.level3.net.

Taking a quick look also at our company's What's Up Gold (we are privately
connected across the globe through Global Crossings) nothing happened. All
our sites remained up, including Elizabeth, Baltimore, Chicago Heights.

I think because there are so many possible routes across the pond, and so
much redundancy in North East US, a power outage like this will make a very
small dent in the Internet.
Looking at internettrafficreport.com, there is definitely a noticeable mark
corresponding to the power outage. Packet Loss goes up, response times go
up.

I guess in the 21st century world, power outages don't necessarily mean
network/internetwork outages any more. That's just my take on things.

And just as I finish writing this up, www.cnn.com has recovered, and I can
now connect.

Links: http://news.com.com/2100-1011_3-5063997.html?tag=fd_top

Regards,
-Lawrence Stromski.

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep