Subject: [Ieprep] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-req-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:06:56 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Emergency Preparedness Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: ETS Requirements for a Single Administrative Domain
	Author(s)	: K. Carlberg
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-req-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2004-1-12
	
This document presents a list of requirements in support of Emergency
Telecommunications Service (ETS) within a single administrative
domain. This document is an extension of the General Requirements of
[2] and focuses on a more specific set of administrative constraints
and scope.  Solutions to these requirements are not presented in this
document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-req-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-req-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-req-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Eagan, Christopher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:44:09 -0500

> We have demonstrated in lab tests to DISA and various other 
> organizations 
> that, a 1%, 5% and higher packet loss has significant impact on Voice 
> Quality (VQ) of all codecs, while at the same time - having some 
> organizations maintain the requirement that VQ cannot drop 
> below a 4.0 MOS.

I don't think the 4.0 MOS requirement is applicable to all (perhaps
most) voip carrying networks that could benefit from MLEF or another
packet level marking scheme.  This is cited as a requirement for some
DoD switched networks and does not necessarily extend to ALL voip
carrying networks, or all DoD voip carrying networks, or even all DoD
switched voice networks.  Actually, providing a 3.0 MOS would be a
significant improvement to some current voice networks - especially
wireless, mobile, low bandwidth ones.  Given this, 30% packet loss is
sustainable and acceptable in some situations.  Furthermore, MOS is not
necessarily the best measure of voice quality for all voice networks.
For example, in tactical networks, intelligibility is important while
fidelity is not as important.

Regardless, I realize if someone said that some arbitrary X quality was
required, you could come with the same argument with different packet
loss numbers.  The point is, each network and even each link may have
different requirements.  Providing multiple tools (e.g. RSVP based CAC +
MLEF) to engineer each network, or in some cases each link, for the
specific requirements is needed.

Chris

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep