Subject: [Ieprep] Another version of a potential IEPREP charter

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:30:17 -0400

We were asked to tighten up the potential new charter.  Here is a start.
Comments?

________________________

Internet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep) Charter

Description of Working Group: Effective telecommunications capabilities are
imperative to facilitate immediate recovery operations for serious emergency
events including natural disasters (e.g., hurricanes, floods, earthquakes)
and those created by man (e.g., terrorist attacks, combat situations or
wartime events). In addition, related capabilities should be operative in
normal command and control operations of military services, which often have
timeliness requirements even in peacetime.

Disasters can happen any time, any place, unexpectedly. Quick response for
recovery operations requires immediate access to any telecommunications
capabilities at hand. These capabilities include: conventional telephone,
cellular phones, and Internet access via online terminals, IP telephones,
and wireless PDAs. The commercial telecommunications infrastructure is
rapidly evolving to Internet-based technology. Therefore, the Internet
community needs to consider how it can best support emergency management and
recovery operations.

The IEPREP WG will address proactive measures to congestion and recovery
from various outages using three perspectives:

1. A commercial (i.e., or public) telecommunications infrastructure

2. An enterprise or governmental/military telecommunications infrastructure
that retains sole administration of its own network resources

3. A governmental/military telecommunications infrastructure that combines
private resources and leverages public infrastructure. 

Now that the initial documents describing the broad problem space and its
salient characteristics have been completed, new efforts will focus on
specific requirements and solutions, such as those pertaining to the
governmental/military sector. The following are specific examples that can
satisfy the interests of governmental/military (and potentially,
commercial/public/enterprise) emergency communications: 

1. Under emergency circumstances, some countries require civil networks to
distinguish sessions based on the user's indication of precedence.  The
network can use the precedence information to give priority to some sessions
over others, up to and including preemption of lower-precedence sessions.
In many countries' governmental networks, the capabilities needed to support
precedence-based preferential treatment are requirements on the equipment
and services used to build those networks.  As Internet-based technology
continues to expand into civil and government networks, requirements for
precedence-based capabilities will need to be developed. IEPREP will
document these requirements as they pertain to technologies of interest to
IETF.

2.  Specific countries may have additional considerations that define the
context in which they implement session precedence and preemption.  For
example, network ownership constraints (which may differ from commercial
deployments), communities of interest including dial-plan considerations,
encryption assumptions and any limitations arising from differing security
levels, etc. that should be described before mechanisms can be proposed.
IEPREP should document the context for implementing solutions.  In addition,
specific solutions must be developed when appropriate.

3. While voice was the driving application for IEPREP in the past,
preferential treatments will need to be applied to all applications
essential to emergency communications. Preferential treatment must address
robustness of both voice and non-real-time applications that share the same
infrastructure. The IEPREP WG should document the preferential treatment
mechanisms that are appropriate for any essential communications.

In the IETF, considerations for treatment and security of emergency
communications stretch across a number of working groups, mostly in the RAI
Area, notably including the various voice/video signaling working groups,
instant messaging, and QoS signaling. IEPREP will cooperate closely with
these groups and with those outside of the IETF such as various ITU-T study
groups.  In addition, IEPREP will pursue subject matter experts (e.g.,
security) for specification review if such expertise does not exist within
the working group in order to ensure continued high quality specifications.

If there is an existing group that can extend a protocol or mechanism,
IEPREP will generate only a requirements document for those groups to
evaluate. If there is not an existing group that can extend a protocol or
mechanism, IEPREP will prepare requirements and discuss the extension of
that protocol/mechanism or protocols/mechanisms within IEPREP.  

Goals and Milestones: 

Done Submit initial I-D of Requirements 

Done Submit initial I-D of Framework

Done Submit initial I-D of Recommendations BCP 

Done Produce an Requirements I-D to IESG for publication as an Informational
RFC 

Done Submit Framework I-D to IESG for publication as an Informational RFC 

Aug 06 Submit an initial I-D of Requirements of Government/Military Networks
for Precedence and Preemption

Aug 06 Submit an initial I-D of ETS Terminology.  This document should
define ieprep related terms (e.g., ETS, GETS, MLPP) and explain their
relationships and how they have been used in existing RFCs

Sept 06 Submit an initial I-D of Deployment Considerations of Precedence and
Preemption on Government/Military Networks.  This document should clarify
the context that Government/Military requirements must operate.

Nov 06 Submit final I-D of Requirements of Government/Military Networks for
Precedence and Preemption to IESG for publication as an Informational RFC

NOV 06 Submit final I-D of ETS Terminology to IESG for publication as an
Informational RFC.

Jan 07 Submit an final I-D of Deployment Considerations of Precedence and
Preemption on Government/Military Networks to IESG for publication as an
Informational RFC.

Feb 07 Submit an initial I-D of Mechanisms for Precedence and Preemption to
be used by Government/Military Networks

Apr 07 Submit final I-D of Mechanisms for Precedence and Preemption to be
used by Government/Military Networks to IESG for publication as a BCP

Apr 07 The working group will discuss re-chartering if additional efforts
are agreed upon by the WG (for example, work items related to protocols
outside existing WGs).

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:00:06 -0500

I would add at the bottom that "...we will consider rechartering for new 
work if there is WG consensus to do so, or shut the WG down."

Otherwise, this looks good.

---

From: "GOLDMAN, STUART O \(STUART\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 19:41:01 -0500

Kimberly,

Kimberly,

Given the vital importance of emergency communications during disasters
as described below, it certainly seems that the IEPREP group is still
needed. I have no improvements to the draft charter you have proposed.

Stuart Goldman
Lucent Technologies
[email-masked]
602 493 8438

-----Original Message-----
From: King, Kimberly S. [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 9:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ieprep] Another version of a potential IEPREP charter

________________________

Description of Working Group: Effective telecommunications capabilities
are
imperative to facilitate immediate recovery operations for serious
emergency
events including natural disasters (e.g., hurricanes, floods,
earthquakes)
and those created by man (e.g., terrorist attacks, combat situations or
wartime events). In addition, related capabilities should be operative
in
normal command and control operations of military services, which often
have
timeliness requirements even in peacetime.

Disasters can happen any time, any place, unexpectedly. Quick response
for
recovery operations requires immediate access to any telecommunications
capabilities at hand. These capabilities include: conventional
telephone,
cellular phones, and Internet access via online terminals, IP
telephones,
and wireless PDAs. The commercial telecommunications infrastructure is
rapidly evolving to Internet-based technology. Therefore, the Internet
community needs to consider how it can best support emergency management
and
recovery operations.

2. An enterprise or governmental/military telecommunications
infrastructure
that retains sole administration of its own network resources

3. A governmental/military telecommunications infrastructure that
combines
private resources and leverages public infrastructure. 

Now that the initial documents describing the broad problem space and
its
salient characteristics have been completed, new efforts will focus on
specific requirements and solutions, such as those pertaining to the
governmental/military sector. The following are specific examples that
can
satisfy the interests of governmental/military (and potentially,
commercial/public/enterprise) emergency communications: 

1. Under emergency circumstances, some countries require civil networks
to
distinguish sessions based on the user's indication of precedence.  The
network can use the precedence information to give priority to some
sessions
over others, up to and including preemption of lower-precedence
sessions.
In many countries' governmental networks, the capabilities needed to
support
precedence-based preferential treatment are requirements on the
equipment
and services used to build those networks.  As Internet-based technology
continues to expand into civil and government networks, requirements for
precedence-based capabilities will need to be developed. IEPREP will
document these requirements as they pertain to technologies of interest
to
IETF.

2.  Specific countries may have additional considerations that define
the
context in which they implement session precedence and preemption.  For
example, network ownership constraints (which may differ from commercial
deployments), communities of interest including dial-plan
considerations,
encryption assumptions and any limitations arising from differing
security
levels, etc. that should be described before mechanisms can be proposed.
IEPREP should document the context for implementing solutions.  In
addition,
specific solutions must be developed when appropriate.

3. While voice was the driving application for IEPREP in the past,
preferential treatments will need to be applied to all applications
essential to emergency communications. Preferential treatment must
address
robustness of both voice and non-real-time applications that share the
same
infrastructure. The IEPREP WG should document the preferential treatment
mechanisms that are appropriate for any essential communications.

In the IETF, considerations for treatment and security of emergency
communications stretch across a number of working groups, mostly in the
RAI
Area, notably including the various voice/video signaling working
groups,
instant messaging, and QoS signaling. IEPREP will cooperate closely with
these groups and with those outside of the IETF such as various ITU-T
study
groups.  In addition, IEPREP will pursue subject matter experts (e.g.,
security) for specification review if such expertise does not exist
within
the working group in order to ensure continued high quality
specifications.

evaluate. If there is not an existing group that can extend a protocol
or

Goals and Milestones: 

Done Produce an Requirements I-D to IESG for publication as an
Informational
RFC 

Done Submit Framework I-D to IESG for publication as an Informational
RFC 

Aug 06 Submit an initial I-D of Requirements of Government/Military
Networks
for Precedence and Preemption

Sept 06 Submit an initial I-D of Deployment Considerations of Precedence
and
Preemption on Government/Military Networks.  This document should
clarify
the context that Government/Military requirements must operate.

Nov 06 Submit final I-D of Requirements of Government/Military Networks
for
Precedence and Preemption to IESG for publication as an Informational
RFC

Jan 07 Submit an final I-D of Deployment Considerations of Precedence
and
Preemption on Government/Military Networks to IESG for publication as an
Informational RFC.

Feb 07 Submit an initial I-D of Mechanisms for Precedence and Preemption
to
be used by Government/Military Networks

Apr 07 Submit final I-D of Mechanisms for Precedence and Preemption to
be
used by Government/Military Networks to IESG for publication as a BCP

Apr 07 The working group will discuss re-chartering if additional
efforts
are agreed upon by the WG (for example, work items related to protocols
outside existing WGs).