Subject: [Ieprep] Preferential Services

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:54:01 -0700

You know, I think one thing that trips this group up is in the title.  
The issue this Working Group is thinking about is not so much  
"Emergency use of the Internet", which is often about deploying a new  
network when the usual one has been smashed by a hurricane or an  
airplane crash, but "Precedence-related Services in the Internet".

Would it make sense, in this recharter, to call it "Preferential  
Services" or some such thing?

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:32:00 -0500

> Services" or some such thing?

Maybe. My first reaction to "Preferential Services" made me think of in-process
communications. I would argue against Precedence-Related, because the problem is
really both establishing and continuing preferential services. A significant
part of that is going to be ad-hoc provisioning and failure circumvention, as
distinct from precedence.  It's not quite MANET with respect to mobility, but
the ad-hoc-ness is a necessary part of the scope.