Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Re: WG Review: Recharter ofInternet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep)

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 18:04:34 -0800

On Nov 6, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Dolly, Martin C, NPE wrote:
> Side note: my focus is on the ETS service. All of the major players  
> (vendors, service providers, contractors,  and most importantly  
> CUSTOMER), attend and participate in the ATIS work.

yes, and for stuff that is limited to telephony services and will  
remain entirely within the borders of the United States, ATIS is a  
reasonable place to do it.

I observe that in the meeting you, Janet, and I (among many others)  
attended a few weeks ago, as Janet reported earlier in this thread,  
there were two representatives from non-US agencies. As a vendor, I  
have to sell product to both their agencies and to Janet's, and by  
extension to both their service providers and Janet's, which includes  
you. I'm looking for - and I think the non-US agencies are looking  
for - a service definition and feature definition that will be  
available in routers and switches regardless of vendor and will be  
defined in a trans-national manner.

ITU might define the service; in fact they have already done so, in  
giving us the famous fourteen glittering generalities, which Ken  
Carlberg and Ran Atkinson have gone to great lengths to turn into  
actionable objectives. I really think we need IETF expertise to help  
vendors like me have the right features for operators like you to  
implement it. We all have to be involved, and the IETF is an open  
forum in which that can happen.

What we don't need are glittering generalities.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3523.txt
3523 Internet Emergency Preparedness (IEPREP) Telephony Topology
      Terminology. J. Polk. April 2003. (Format: TXT=10190 bytes)  
(Status:
      INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3689.txt
3689 General Requirements for Emergency Telecommunication Service
      (ETS). K. Carlberg, R. Atkinson. February 2004. (Format: TXT=21680
      bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3690.txt
3690 IP Telephony Requirements for Emergency Telecommunication Service
      (ETS). K. Carlberg, R. Atkinson. February 2004. (Format: TXT=13919
      bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4190.txt
4190 Framework for Supporting Emergency Telecommunications Service
      (ETS) in IP Telephony. K. Carlberg, I. Brown, C. Beard. November
      2005. (Format: TXT=69447 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4375.txt
4375 Emergency Telecommunications Services (ETS) Requirements for a
      Single Administrative Domain. K. Carlberg. January 2006. (Format:
      TXT=17037 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4542.txt
4542 Implementing an Emergency Telecommunications Service (ETS) for
      Real-Time Services in the Internet Protocol Suite. F. Baker, J.  
Polk.
      May 2006. (Format: TXT=99770 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Dolly, Martin C, ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:33:04 -0600

WRT ETS: 
1. Architecture  and service definition/requirements is better fit in
ATIS, with some ITU work.
2. Refinement of requirements for definition of Internet protocols in
the IETF
3. ATIS Standards/Implementation requirements to further ensure
interworking/interoperability

Internet Protocol expertise is clearly here in the IETF, but by the same
token Service and deployed network architecture expertise is where the
service providers "actively" participate, which is ATIS (and where
needed the ITU).