Subject: [Ieprep] Hiccup Bar BOF

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 03:29:29 +0100

Ad-HOC meeting "Harnessing IP for Critical Communications Using  
Precedence (HICCUP)"
Tuesday 11:50-12:50, Congress I
Mailing List: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hiccup

The meeting purpose is to bring together people interested in  
critical communications to describe the problem space, give some  
examples where critical communications are needed, and provide a  
venue to exchange ideas on how to move forward.

Agenda

Agenda bashing (5 minutes)
Proposed Charter Overview - (5 minutes) chair
US DHS/NCS (10 minutes)
NATO (10 minutes)
US DoD GIG (10 minutes)
General Discussion (20 minutes)

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:19:46 +0100

There were a lot of things that didn't work in Katrina. Fuel trucks  
that would have run communications diverted to fuel hospitals, for  
example. The delayed recognition at the state level of the emergency  
that legally prevented the deployment of federal resources, later  
reported as a delay on the part of FEMA. The fact that wireless  
networks deployed for use by first responders were swamped by well- 
meaning volunteers who set up their web sites over those same  
networks. ...

The fact that COs were ripped out of the ground bodily, or being 25'  
below sea level had their generators flooded, really didn't help.

There are a lot of issues above the application layer.

Note that this refers to "times of crisis". I don't think it has in  
view times when one has to parachute in a new network because the old  
one has been swept away bodily. It has to do with the one we've got.

On Mar 20, 2007, at 5:32 AM, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine  
wrote:

> Fred,
>
> I'm out in the middle of Joshua Tree, so I won't be at the bar.
>
> After the Katerina landfall the wireless volunteer efforts, plus  
> the Naval Post-Graduate School group that had prior exercise in the  
> Boxing Day Tsunami aid effort found some pretty banal problems.
>
> Nothing sexy like QoS, but lack of "I am alive (or not)" db app and  
> or protocol, formal relief efforts that attempted to field VoIP  
> with a centralized directory (in Washington) to camps served by  
> very fragile networks, junk like that.
>
> It isn't rocket science, but not everything we do is, and when it  
> doesnt' work, for many days at a time, due to lack of clarity at  
> level 9 that non-first responders, non-privileged users, need to  
> have dialtone and email and a browser, its wicked awkward for the  
> people who are having he emergency.
>
> Eric

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:59:06 +0200

Hi Fred,

I wasn't able to attend the Bar BOF. Are meeting minutes, slides, 
Podcasts, etc. available?

Ciao
Hannes

Fred Baker wrote:
> The meeting purpose is to bring together people interested in critical 
> communications to describe the problem space, give some examples where 
> critical communications are needed, and provide a venue to exchange 
> ideas on how to move forward.
>
> Agenda
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:17:00 -0400

I haven't seen the minutes yet. Presentations were pretty thin.

I have been told that it will all be in the proceedings, though.

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:34:20 -0500

Hannes

There was only one presentation, 2 slides from US DHS/NCS.  US DOD 
did not present with slides, and NATO did not present at all.

I think Kimberly King was talking minutes.

Any minutes generated will show that nothing positive was gained from 
this meeting.

James