Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] Registration requests: akuapem, asante

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 13:32:37 -0700

Don Osborn wrote:

> There is also a unified Akan orthography. So another question is
> whether this tag request might imply three other tags (unified,
> Asante, and Fante) under “ak” or two under “tw.”

I got the impression Sascha was trying to distinguish between dialects,
not orthographies, which would be a separate effort.
 
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

---

From: Sascha Brawer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 09:43:29 +0200

Actually, the variants have different orthographies. For illustration,
here’s the same text in Asante Twi, Akuapem Twi, and Fanti:

http://www.unicode.org/udhr/d/udhr_aka_asante.html
http://www.unicode.org/udhr/d/udhr_aka_akuapem.html
http://www.unicode.org/udhr/d/udhr_aka_fante.html

In the IANA language subtag registry, Twi is an individual language within
the Akan macrolanguage. Assuming the registry actually adds the proposed
variant subtags for “asante” and “akuapem”, should these entries only be
marked with “Prefix: tw”, or should “Prefix: ak” also be part of the entry?

— Sascha