Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] Registration requests: akuapem, asante

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 09:59:52 -0700

Sascha Brawer wrote:

> Actually, the variants have different orthographies.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the information.

> In the IANA language subtag registry, Twi is an individual language
> within the Akan macrolanguage. Assuming the registry actually adds
> the proposed variant subtags for “asante” and “akuapem”, should these
> entries only be marked with “Prefix: tw”, or should “Prefix: ak” also
> be part of the entry?

That would require taggers of Twi content (either dialect) to choose
between 'tw' and 'ak' as the base language subtag, and tag consumers to
search on both 'tw' and 'ak', instead of both being able to rely on
'tw'.

Is it already the case that Twi is tagged inconsistently as either 'tw'
or 'ak'?
 
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org