Subject: [Ietf-message-headers] Re: For review: Apparently-To

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 12:10:48 +0200

Update:
- fixed typo s/standarddized/standardized/
- added missing reference 2821 7.2

~~~ cut ~~~
PROVISIONAL MESSAGE HEADER FIELD REGISTRATION TEMPLATE:

Header field name:         Apparently-To
Applicable protocol:       mail
Status:                    deprecated
Author/Change controller:  IETF
Specification document(s): RFC 2076, section 3.4
Related information:
        This header field was never formally standardized, it
        was used by a mailer in absence of a To: header field
        derived from the envelope RCPT TO addresses, thereby
        disclosing addresses of blind carbon copies.

        Mentioned in RFC 1211 appendix F.18.a and RFC 2076 3.4,
        discussed in RFC 3552 6.1.1.2 (summary: "SHOULD NOT be
        used") and RFC 2821 7.2 (summary: "SHOULD NOT be used").

_______________________________________________
Ietf-message-headers mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 20:21:09 +0200

Another update, credits to Robert A. Rosenberg:  It only 
affected messages with no To:, Cc:, or Bcc: at all, see
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.smtp/5486>

~~~ cut ~~~

Header field name:         Apparently-To
Applicable protocol:       mail
Status:                    deprecated
Author/Change controller:  IETF
Specification document(s): RFC 2076, section 3.4
Related information:
        This header field was never formally standardized.  It
        was added by a popular mailer in absence of recipient
        header fields (To, Cc, Bcc) listing all envelope RCPT TO
        addresses, thereby disclosing the addresses of blind
        carbon copies to all recipients.

        Mentioned in RFC 1211 appendix F.18.a and RFC 2076 3.4,
        discussed in RFC 2821 7.2 (summary: "SHOULD NOT be used"),
        this was later copied verbatim into RFC 3552 6.1.1.2.