Subject: [Fwd: text conferencing at the 55th IETF meeting in Atlanta]

From: avri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 15:36:59 +0100

Hi,

The attached email describes the text conferencing experiment that
will be held in Atlanta.

I am looking for a scribe for this meeting.
Please get in touch with me if you are willing.

Also, I am asking that all presenters get their presentations done in
time for posting for any participants that may desire to participate
remotely.

Speaking of presenters, currently there are two items on the agenda,

- State of draft-ietf-nomcom-rfc2727bis-02.txt
- Open Issues

Does anyone else have an agenda item for the meeting?

thanks
a.

-- 
Avri Doria
http://www.sm.luth.se/~avri/

	     Remote Access for the 55th IETF meeting in Atlanta:
			     Text Conferencing

At each IETF meeting, two of the working group meeting rooms are equipped
for video multicast and remote participation.  That is, for every IETF
meeting slot, two of the working groups can see and hear the
meeting. For the 55th IETF, in *addition* to the usual network A/V, text
conferencing will be provided for every working group that meets.

All of the conference rooms will be hosted on

    conference.ietf.jabber.com

and each is named using the official IETF abbreviation found in the
agenda (e.g., "apparea",  "dhc", "forces", and so on -- for all the
examples that follow, we'll use "foobar" as the abbreviation).

Each conference room also has a 'bot which records everything that gets
sent. So, the minute taker can review this information right after the
meeting.

1. Before the meeting:

1.1. If you want to participate
    
If you don't already have one, get yourself a Jabber client, here are some
suggestions:

    platform	suggestion
    --------	----------
    win32	http://exodus.jabberstudio.org
    'nix	http://gabber.sf.net
    macos	http://jabberfox.sf.net

When you start the client for the first time, it will eventually ask if
you want to register on a public server. Go ahead and do
that. 
    
If you want to find out more, instead of choosing these defaults, here
are pointers to some additional information:
    
    list of clients:    http://www.jabber.org/user/clientlist.php
              howto:    http://www.jabber.org/user/userguide/
        server list:    http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.php

To make sure everything is running ok, do a "Join Group Chat" with your
Jabber client:
    
    Group/Room: testing
    Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

This conference room is up and running right now (although probably no
one will be in it when you connect).
    
1.2. What the Chair does
    
If you want to make text conferencing available, you'll need to have a
volunteer scribe in the meeting room. The scribe will be typing in a
running commentary as to what's going on in the room (who's presenting,
what question is being asked, etc.)
    
So, why not send an email out on the mailing list now, before the
meeting, to ask for volunteers?

2. At the meeting

2.1. What the Chair does

When a session starts, the chair asks if someone in the room is willing
to act as "scribe". If no one volunteers, read no further, we're done!

Otherwise, the scribe should do a "Join Group Chat" with their Jabber
client, e.g.,

    Group/Room: foobar
    Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

2.2. What the Scribe does

The scribe types in a running commentary as to what's going on in the
room. For example, if a speaker makes a presentation, the scribe types
in the URL for the presentation (more on this in a bit).

Simlarly, during question time, a remote participant can type a question
into the room and the scribe can pass it on to the speaker.

2.3. What each Presenter does

Each presenter should put a copy of their presentation on a web server
somewhere, so remote participants can follow along. 
    
If you don't have a server available, email your presentation to
    
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: foobar
    
and the Secretariat will put the presentation in a server so it can be
accessed under:
    
    http://atlanta.ietf.org/presentations/foobar/
    
Don't wait until the last minute to send the email.

2.4. Where to find the conference log
    
    http://www.jabber.com/chatbot/logs/conference.ietf.jabber.com/foobar/
    
(Note: these URLs won't be active until just before the meeting starts!)

2.5. Finally
    
This is an experiment. Let's see how well it works and discuss it after
the meeting.
    
				  #######

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 17:11:46 +0100

> Does anyone else have an agenda item for the meeting?

do we need to raise the issue of whether there should be guidance on 
avoiding too many people from one company/group on the nomcom?

if so, this needs to go into the open issues list.

                      Harald

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:03:59 -0800

Harald> do we need to raise the issue of whether there should be guidance on
Harald> avoiding too many people from one company/group on the nomcom?

Are there any additional limits or requirements that we want to consider?

The current Nomcom selection model is predicated on having most candidates
for nomcom being active IETF participants.  However the objective rule for
this is quite weak.

The statistics of our selection process guarantee that we will, eventually,
have a nomcom that has no voting member with serious experience in IETF
processes.

We might want to consider some modification to selection that will mitigate
this statistical certainty.

For example, we might want to have the current criteria apply to have of the
selected members, but define a second pool of nomcom candidates, with
stricter rules, such as requiring that candidates from this second pool have
recent experience as a working group chair or document editor.

d/
-- 
 Dave Crocker  <mailto:[email-masked]>
 TribalWise <http://www.tribalwise.com>
 t +1.408.246.8253; f +1.408.850.1850

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:31:50 -0500

There was good consensus in the mailing list discussion that no more
than two should be from the same employer.

---

From: avri doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 22:48:13 +0100

I will go back through the messages and do a synopsis.
While I remember that being the general impression,
I do not remember the WG reaching consensus on
whether there should be a rule to this effect
or how that should be defined and enforced.

This issue is on the list of issues to be discussed.
I will sent out the list in a day or so.

a.

Scott W Brim wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> To subscribe or unsubscribe from this elist use the subscription
> manager: <http://lists.elistx.com/subscribe>