Subject: Alternative (G)

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:58:49 -0400

Alternative (G) comes from Christian Huitema.  It replaces alternatives
(E) and (F) that earlier came from him.

I hope to post Alternative (A2) tomorrow.

My own understanding from reading the words below is that the phrase
"appropriate majority" leaves it to the confirming body to determine
precisely how much of a majority is required to confirm, but that
at least a majority (i.e. half of the confirming body plus one) would be
required.  If that is an incorrect understanding, I'm hoping Christian
will correct this note with the correct explanation of the intent.

Cheers,

Ran
[email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Delete the existing text in 4. and replace with:

	"4.  The confirming bodies decide their consent according
	to a mechanism of their own choosing.  The agreement may be
	decided by conducting a formal vote, by asserting consensus
	based on informal exchanges (e.g. email), or by whatever mechanism
	is used to conduct the normal business of the confirming body.

	If the appropriate majority of the sitting members of the
	confirming body agree to confirm a given candidate, then the candidate
	is confirmed.  Candidates that are not confirmed under this rule
	MUST be rejected.  The confirming body MUST make its decision within
	a reasonable timeframe.  The results from the confirming body must
	be reported promptly to the IETF Nominating Committee."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------