Subject: RE: IESG Issue 2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:30:13 -0400

Hi Scott,

> I see little reason to do a new search if the case is someone with
> time left in their IAB term moving from the IAB to the IESG. I do
> not see a realistic problem that would be solved by doing so.  The
> community suggested people for the IAB already in the process and
> the IAB members should be generalists (i.e. no IAB topic-specific
> seats)

I agree with you in the general case.  In other words, I think it
would be fine to fill 6 IAB postions from the nominations that
were made for 5 open positions.  I don't think that everyone
agrees with this, but I do.

In an interim replacement, though, this is less clear.  If, for
example, a sitting IAB member had been chosen to replace Erik
Nordmark (instead of me), I don't think that the nomcom should
have filled that now-open IAB position without a new call for 
nominationsm (even though they had a list of previous nominations
from the full selection cycle).
 
Margaret

---

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:32:19 -0400 (EDT)

fully agree

---