Subject: IESG Issue 24

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:21:24 -0400 (EDT)

> Questions:
> 
> Should the question of starting time for IAB be separated from the  
> question of IESG?

yes

> Should it be pointed out that since IAB members do not replace specific  
> IAB members, it is consistent that new IAB members may overlap with  
> retiring IAB members?

no - just say that the IAB term ends at the end of the week

Scott

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:22:09 -0400

On Wednesday, Oct 8, 2003, at 09:21 America/Montreal, Scott Bradner 
> no - just say that the IAB term ends at the end of the week

	In practice, there have been at least 2 occasions in the past
4 years when an outgoing IAB member left the "sitting IAB" at the
beginning of the week.  One of these was in San Francisco 2003,
where following current procedures, I arranged with Itojun that
he would replace me as the "sitting IAB member" at the start of
the week.  I attended several IAB functions during that week,
by way of helping with transition, but I was not a "sitting
member" while doing so.

	So I would say it is undesirable to have a fixed handoff
at the end of the week.  If there is to be a fixed handoff,
it would best be start of the week.  My preference would be
that the current, flexible, "during the week" handoff be retained,
however.

Ran Atkinson
[email-masked]